ODB0 Minimum wiring. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2015, 03:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question ODB0 Minimum wiring.

If you have read my newbies post I have a D16a9 engine in the back of my GTM Coupe. It's running a rechipped PW0 ecu and I'm currently tidying up the wiring.

I have made up a diagram, that I think is correct and now in the process of ditching the un-needed connections.

So far I have common-ed up all the ground wires (A2,A4,A16,and A1
Common-ed up the supply (A12, A13, A14, A15 and B13), I don't run a main relay.

I'm also ditching a few connections as I have no Aircon, a non Honda alternator, no fan relay, no O2 sensor

However a few connections are confusing me.

B1 - Hazard fuse, is this just a live and can be connected to A12 ?
B19 - electric load sense - Whats this ?
C10 - Brake Switch - Why ?

Can anyone help me out with these ?
Ken555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2015, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

B1, yes, but how are you going to reset the ECU?

B19, this should connect to the ELD, which, on an OBD0 car, I would recommend you keep.

C10. I'm actually not sure why. LOL!

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

A12 is for fuel pump. If not using the main relay or a relay that's triggered by the ecu to turn on the pump. It's not needed

C10 isn't needed.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
B1, yes, but how are you going to reset the ECU?

B19, this should connect to the ELD, which, on an OBD0 car, I would recommend you keep.

C10. I'm actually not sure why. LOL!
The ECU will be reset each time, as I have an FIA kill switch that disconnects the battery.

As far a I can see the ELD just tells the alternator to step up the output, as I'm not running a Honda alternator (At the moment I have no alternator, just running on battery power) I don't need it.

C10 maybe for Automatic cars, some form of interlock ? I'll miss it out and see what happens
Old 09-29-2015, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Brake switch is usually used for cruise control and/or air conditioning. Most OBD1 systems can use it as a multipurpose input. The ELD may cause a CEL but you may be able to disable it (I'm not 100% with OBD0).

I still HIGHLY recommend automatic control of the fan. Over-cooling the coolant can cause issues. OBD1 systems can be set to turn the fan relay on at a user-set temp, or you can simply use the original thermoswitch to control it. You can always install an override switch in case you want to cool it while in the pits.

Make sure you ground to the block or trans, then adequately ground the block to the frame.

One more thing, you MUST use shielded wire for the 2 distributor signal wires. The shielding (drain) must be connected to ground. Honda usually has a drain on both the engine side and chassis side of the harness for OBD0 & OBD1 cars. This may be even more important depending on how noisy your non-Honda alternator is.

Last edited by HiProfile; 09-29-2015 at 02:53 PM.
HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiProfile View Post
I still HIGHLY recommend automatic control of the fan. Over-cooling the coolant can cause issues. OBD1 systems can be set to turn the fan relay on at a user-set temp, or you can simply use the original thermoswitch to control it. You can always install an override switch in case you want to cool it while in the pits.
I have a dual thermoswitch in the radiator, along with twin fans that come on at different temps. It's at the other end of the car from the engine (The D16 engine is behind my seat as it's now mid-engined) so a lot easier to wire.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

you have some room behind the engine there.

ROOM FOR ITB's!!!!!!!

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 grayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
A12 is for fuel pump. If not using the main relay or a relay that's triggered by the ecu to turn on the pump. It's not needed

Please never do this. Disabling the ecu control over the fuel pump is a safety issue. Suppose you get into a horrible crash and the fuel line breaks open, fuel pressure would drop and the engine would stall. This would be a good thing because without a rpm signal the ecu will automatically turn off the fuel pump. However if you run the fuel pump directly off of the ignition switch the first responders might not be able to get to you because will be inside a blazing inferno.

Something to think about. Either way I don't think saving one wire from your harness is worth the risk to you, or your passengers, bystanders, ect.

automatic Crx [email protected]
grayzee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayzee View Post
Please never do this. Disabling the ecu control over the fuel pump is a safety issue........
True in a street car. However, if it is a track car, with fuel shut offs in place as required if by-passing relays.....

I have seen your spiel elsewhere though, I fixed my relay and ecu wiring because of this thought process, so I am coming from a place of agreement.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayzee View Post
Please never do this.

Something to think about. Either way I don't think saving one wire from your harness is worth the risk to you, or your passengers, bystanders, ect.
Totally agree for a road car, this is a track car, with compulsory FIA kill switch within reach, even when strapped in with a 6 point harness, and an external pull cable on the bottom of the A pillar that a track marshal/corner worker can reach. The car is also fitted with a plumbed in fire extinguisher, one pointing at engine, one at me.

But considering that the front subframe carries the fuel tank and battery, I try not to hit anything anyway
Old 09-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken555 View Post
The ECU will be reset each time, as I have an FIA kill switch that disconnects the battery.

As far a I can see the ELD just tells the alternator to step up the output, as I'm not running a Honda alternator (At the moment I have no alternator, just running on battery power) I don't need it.

C10 maybe for Automatic cars, some form of interlock ? I'll miss it out and see what happens
The ELD does more than just alternator control. If you are only running battery, you really need some form of voltage regulation for the injectors and ECU. Running the battery down will greatly change your tune without any form of compensation for the change in voltage.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

2 deep cycle batteries and an ultracapacitor setup should easily keep the battery voltage above 12.0 for over an hour of driving.

BUt I agree with beaver. a PC680 will do just fine for cranking and you could grab an alternator from one of the fuel economy models, they use a smaller alternator by I believe 10-15 amps (at least originally. Honda might have updated and simply started using the common models for part number reduction)

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2015, 03:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
The ELD does more than just alternator control. If you are only running battery, you really need some form of voltage regulation for the injectors and ECU. Running the battery down will greatly change your tune without any form of compensation for the change in voltage.
The average run time is about 30 sec to 2 minutes depending on track.

This is one of the record runs on the hills
Old 11-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

By the end I have it down to 33 Pins, at the ECU
With 18 wire needed through the bulkhead (one screened with 6 cores).
The IMA Pot and Air Pressure (PA) are mounted next to the ECU, keeping the wires to a min.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

ELD feature is a Honda feature to use the alternator as a brake while the car decelerates.

Think VERY VERY early regenerative braking. You can very easily disable and not use this feature. No worries.

Make sure you shield the mag pulse sensors/generators from the distributor. Those fuckers pump out massive voltage at higher engine speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.

Last edited by FarmerD; 11-22-2015 at 10:32 AM.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in