ECT reading stuck at 150 when running - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 5 mdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enoughmdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enoughmdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default ECT reading stuck at 150 when running

So I'm not sure what's going on. But a few days ago I was getting an ECT code 6 and the Coolant temperature readings was bouncing between the correct temp and then just dropping to 150.

So I checked the connector, the wires looked cracked and eroded. So I reconnected new wires on the pigtail connector.

I even tested my new connector with a multimeter to see the resistance and was working. With an old sensor and a hot cup of water as well with the existing sensor in the car. So I am pretty sure the wiring is ok.

Here is the weird thing, in Neptune when the ignition is on but not running. It's reading fine on the data logger, when I fire it up it seems to be stuck at 150.

I am not sure what's causing this, up until a few days ago was having no issues. And when I was tuning I noticed the ECT was fluctuating.
mdrouillard1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2015, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 5 mdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enoughmdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enoughmdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enough

I should note that the code 6 has gone away but still having these issues.

I'm not sure if it's the sensor, the wiring, the ECU or something in Neptune.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Bump.. Someone MUST have had similar symptoms:

1) In Neptune I can get a perfect reading when ignition is on, but not running.
2) As soon as the engine is fired up, the sensor locks out at 150 with rare and intermittent readings of the proper temp.

Is this a ground or sensor issue? Vibration induced? If it were an ECU ground issue wouldn't other sensors like the IAT/TPS/MAP also be wacked?

Please help.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Look at the raw voltage output of that sensor in neptune. If you can, read the voltage directly from the sensor with a voltmeter. These two things should tell you whether or not it's the sensor or neptune.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2015, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 spAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like Borat

That doesn't work for temp sensors, they are just thermistors and don't have a voltage across them. NepTune only reports the temperature value.
spAdam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2015, 03:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
Look at the raw voltage output of that sensor in neptune. If you can, read the voltage directly from the sensor with a voltmeter. These two things should tell you whether or not it's the sensor or neptune.
Basically it is resistance based... 0.01 ohms I believe is hot and as it increases it means its colder. Deducing the actual temperature from that I am not sure how it would be done, software controlled.

I am replacing the ECT sensor soon, maybe that will fix it.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

If key/ignition on says correct temp, but running causes it to randomly work, I would find a way to check any shorts in the system.
Seems you have something that is maybe grazing it with engine virbration.

Perhaps you have a wire that is broken inside, but wire jacket itself looks okay.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2015, 04:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
If key/ignition on says correct temp, but running causes it to randomly work, I would find a way to check any shorts in the system.
Seems you have something that is maybe grazing it with engine virbration.

Perhaps you have a wire that is broken inside, but wire jacket itself looks okay.
Could be, if replacing the sensor doesn't work I'm going to have to run new wires from the sensor to the ECU, that should fix it unless something inside the ECU itself is pooched.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in