Noob ignition tuning questions - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2015, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Default Noob ignition tuning questions

I'm ready to rent some dyno time to tune the ignition map but I have a few basic questions. From what I've researched, you should gradually increase timing while listening for detonation. Once you start nearing MBT, you'll start to see little to no increase in torque when adding timing. Once you hit this point, you can pull back the timing by a few degrees and call it a day.

So this all seems simple enough. I planned on doing an initial pull on the dyno, looking at the torque curve, and adding timing where necessary to smooth the curve.

So lets say I have a smooth, flat torque curve and I haven't heard any detonation. How should I go about increasing timing overall? I would think that it would make most sense to work a few columns at a time, probably the low RPM/low boost rows/columns first and working my way up. Am I thinking about this correctly?

Apologies in advance if this is way the fuck off track...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2015, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

This is where you need to nit pick the brain of Blundell and others. It was "interesting" comparing the old tuning ways (timing locked out at 34 BTDC) before MBT was more understood.

What once was a mess....

cleans up nicely....

Still has the AEM TQ peak at 4750 but look at the dips that were removed...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2015, 07:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Agree bone, just don't know the right way to contact someone like Dave. Pgmfi.org seems to be gone again so...

They did a great job cleaning up that torque curve and that's how I planned on approaching it...smooth out the dips as best I can.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Old 08-23-2015, 07:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

What kind of dyno?
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

What you said sounds good. But what about if you are octane limited? How would that alter your method of finding MBT?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Hmm I figure the method of finding MBT would be the same...identifying the point where adding timing either stops producing or reduces torque and then pulling it back 1-2 degrees.

I would assume that if you're octane limited, detonation would simply occur earlier.

What am I missing?

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Old 08-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

You have it right. Just make sure you use a dyno with a brake. Lock it at a speed and move through the load cells finding the knock limits and MBT through those cells.
That would be a thorough dyno tune. It wont work on an inertia dyno.

You can also just get it close enough in the low load by street tuning, and just tune the highest load cells using the above method. Much quicker. You probably wont be able to tell a difference afterward.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

What I am trying to say is get some knock ears to listen for det. It can still make power and have some pre ignition issues and detonation issues. The type that blows head gaskets, takes out rod bearings, etc, not pistons and sleeves.
Quote:
Old 08-23-2015, 07:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
What I am trying to say is get some knock ears to listen for det. It can still make power and have some pre ignition issues and detonation issues. The type that blows head gaskets, takes out rod bearings, etc, not pistons and sleeves.
Cmon bruh, I wasn't going to go into this blindly

When I mentioned listening for detonation in my first post, I meant a det can. In fact, I'm actually using most of the write-up that you did on building one.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Old 08-29-2015, 09:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Classic Man

It was the single best thing I ever did when learning how to tune, was learning what ping sounded like. From then on things got a lot safer.
Quote:
Old 09-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Quote:
It was the single best thing I ever did when learning how to tune, was learning what ping sounded like.
And that's my biggest concern. I've listened to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGJZ6kKzLus

And sure, it's very obvious here where it's filtered but I'm concerned that the difference won't be so noticeable with my det can. My engine is already rather 'clicky' with the web cam and the tight valve lash settings. Maybe it's one of those things that you know once you hear it..

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Old 09-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Classic Man

Its not super obvious what it sounds like and thats why a lot of people would rather just pay a guy like me to do it. :P

But Ill tell you what, when you hear it, you know.... "That was a hell of a lot louder/sharper than just engine noise"
Quote:
Old 09-05-2015, 02:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 dj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
Cmon bruh, I wasn't going to go into this blindly

When I mentioned listening for detonation in my first post, I meant a det can. In fact, I'm actually using most of the write-up that you did on building one.
Are you talking about this write up? Detonation det cans | How to knock Muffs

I wonder how well that works.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Classic Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_justice View Post
Are you talking about this write up? Detonation det cans | How to knock Muffs

I wonder how well that works.
Those ear muffs dont work well at all. I tried those, it was a joke. When I used the stethoscope, it started working out pretty good.
Quote:
Old 09-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Quote:
Its not super obvious what it sounds like and thats why a lot of people would rather just pay a guy like me to do it. :P

But Ill tell you what, when you hear it, you know.... "That was a hell of a lot louder/sharper than just engine noise"
So I *think* I hear some detonation between 3-4K at 6-7psi but it's difficult to tell. I think I'm just going to pull like 4 degrees and see if it goes away.

Web cams recommended valve lash of .007" and .008". I'm wondering if tightening this up to .005" and .006" will help reduce the valvetrain noise.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 09-08-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Classic Man

6-7psi? Unless you got serious boost leaks or other issues, its almost impossible to blow something up with that little pressure.

You could pretty much just run 94 octane and leave timing unchanged and it should be ok if AFR is good and the fuel has decent octane.
Quote:
Old 09-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

Quote:
6-7psi? Unless you got serious boost leaks or other issues, its almost impossible to blow something up with that little pressure.

You could pretty much just run 94 octane and leave timing unchanged and it should be ok if AFR is good and the fuel has decent octane.
yeah, think of how long everyone kept their FMU'd with 2 degrees of dizzy retard garbage setups together for back in the day - honda motors are pretty damn forgiving
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in