No more e85 for me - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 16 rabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Unhappy No more e85 for me

The one and only e85 station near me quit carrying it. I have a boosted z6 making 300whp on e85 and now I need to consider other fuels. 91 octane is the best pump fuel I can get unless I drive two hours to the nearest e85 station. That or 110 leaded race gas or possibly 100LL avgas. I really don't want to use leaded if I can avoid it.

My engine has a ported and turbo cam z6 head with 9:1 compression pistons. I've been running about 22psi boost. Will 91 octane support 300whp on a proper tune or am I going to be detonating it to death? I'm just looking at my options right now.
rabid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

You can get unleaded race gas, but won't be cheap.

Start blending....

United Oil | Race Fuels

You can also get E85 in a drum, no worries about winter blending.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2015, 11:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 7 slow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

I think it matters more if you have another vehicle to get the other fuel or not. I know picking it up vs shipping makes all the difference for me on race fuel, just shipping on 5 gallons of vp is $45-50 and I can pick up 5 gal cans for $35 a piece from a distributor.

Edit: cause transzex's link was lame

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp-drag-racing

Quote:
Why would you wanna put pisswater in a new tranny?
[email protected] 1.9 60ft 1750lbs sedan y7/z6 notec head
stock block y7 265k and counting

[email protected] 1.8 60ft 1655lbs sedan y7/z6 head
vtec locked bisi stage 3 same ol block

Rip Pat Primmer.

Last edited by slow4doorek; 08-20-2015 at 11:07 PM. Reason: lame
slow4doorek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I believe you can order barrels of e98 pretty damn cheap
Old 08-21-2015, 01:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Ordering any kind of fuel seems like a huge hassle, isn't 91 Oct good for like 350-400whp depending on compression?

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2015, 03:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 dj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regular

Damn, why dont you ask the station why they got rid of E85? Maybe you can talk them into bringing it back
dj_justice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2015, 06:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 5 mdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enoughmdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enoughmdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Why not 91-93 Octaine + Methanol Injection?
mdrouillard1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 16 rabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
You can get unleaded race gas, but won't be cheap.

Start blending....

United Oil | Race Fuels

You can also get E85 in a drum, no worries about winter blending.
So when you say start blending do you mean like mixing c16 and 91 octane pump? Thanks for the link. Custom. Ya I've bought leaded 110 from there. It the only race gas they sell in the pump because it is popular with the drag racers. Other is only available in 5 gallon cans. Very expensive but I guess it is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow4doorek View Post
I think it matters more if you have another vehicle to get the other fuel or not. I know picking it up vs shipping makes all the difference for me on race fuel, just shipping on 5 gallons of vp is $45-50 and I can pick up 5 gal cans for $35 a piece from a distributor.

Edit: cause transzex's link was lame

VP Drag Racing Fuels
Not lame. Pretty much linked right to my source. I wish I could get vp that cheap. I need to call united oil and see what current prices are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8killaz View Post
I believe you can order barrels of e98 pretty damn cheap
I'm looking at $225 for a 50 gallon barrel. It is the going and getting it that is a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
Ordering any kind of fuel seems like a huge hassle, isn't 91 Oct good for like 350-400whp depending on compression?
Maybe. I'm going to tune with it this weekend and see how manageable detonation is with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_justice View Post
Damn, why dont you ask the station why they got rid of E85? Maybe you can talk them into bringing it back
I called them. They said it wasn't their decision. That they are looking to put 91 non ethanol in there. Douche bags...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrouillard1983 View Post
Why not 91-93 Octaine + Methanol Injection?
No 93 available. Methanol injection, idk it just seems so sketchy.

I think so far my plan is to work on a safe tune for 91 and see how I like it. I can still get e85 in Boise which is where I do much of my racing. I have a lot of gas cans I could find a way to keep some on hand but I need to ration it out.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....
Send a message via Skype™ to evo_lucian

What ems are you using, may be a flex fuel sensor is in your future. Tune the car to drive around on 91 and add some e85 when you go to the track
Old 08-22-2015, 07:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Flip

I made almost 400whp on 93, 8.5:1 compression. I would think 91 could handle 300. But I am no expert. I just couldnt imagine the detonation limit of 91 is that far off from 93, since you are not going over 300.

Flip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

I would say give it a shot and see what power it makes. If its not enough I would toss a water meth kit at the car. If you cant handle that turn the boost down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo_lucian View Post
What ems are you using, may be a flex fuel sensor is in your future. Tune the car to drive around on 91 and add some e85 when you go to the track
Megasquirt. And I already got one I just need to wire it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
I made almost 400whp on 93, 8.5:1 compression. I would think 91 could handle 300. But I am no expert. I just couldnt imagine the detonation limit of 91 is that far off from 93, since you are not going over 300.
I began tuning today by pulling 6 degrees timing from my high cam map. So far so good. Detonation wise. I don't know how much power changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
I would say give it a shot and see what power it makes. If its not enough I would toss a water meth kit at the car. If you cant handle that turn the boost down.
I plan to make it run ethanol at the track assuming I can get it.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid View Post
Megasquirt. And I already got one I just need to wire it in.
There, you have all you need
Old 08-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
MuthaFuckaUppa

Rep Power: 17 CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Toluene.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
There, you have all you need
That and figuring out the tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CripTofer View Post
Toluene.
At $26 a gallon? No thanks
Old 08-23-2015, 01:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid View Post
That and figuring out the tune.
Check out sloppymechanic channel on youtube. He has a couple vids on the subject
Old 08-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 WrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatness

Pump 93 + Xylol
WrongWheelDrive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Check out sloppymechanic channel on youtube. He has a couple vids on the subject
Thanks. I did learn at least one piece of good info there.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

So far I've retuned my high cam map by taking 2 degrees out (4 out above 6000rpm). I started by taking 6 degrees out and adding a little at a time. This is just street and I would like to dyno it again to see the change. It seems to be on the edge of knock at least up high.

Ethanol has about 99-100 pump octane by itself. Pump e85 can vary so much but it is around 95-98. Race e85 is made by mixing 100 octane with ethanol and you end up with 98-99 octane. It is weird but ethanol blends are non linear. 10% ethanol is a significant boost in octane. It is as though 119 octane fuel was mixed in. But it becomes diminishing returns as you increase the ethanol content.

So I had a thought. Maybe taking non ethanol 91 octane and adding 10-20% ethanol would get me up to 94-95. I need to check into this.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Funny you say that. I am having a knocking issue with my little D15B2 right now. It just doesnt want to make more than 220ish-whp without having some sporadic detonation issues. Current fuel is a 94 octane gasoline. (Chevron)

Thinking about trying to find a 94 octane 10% ethanol blend (Husky, Petro Canada) or even trying a 91 octane E10 (Shell, Chevron, Husky).

I will keep you updated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in