Honda D Series Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Map Sensor Differences?

44K views 54 replies 14 participants last post by  CarGuy 
#1 ·
So I have a hand full of map sensors, in a quest of finding way was wrong with my civic I had a grabbed all map sensors I could find. Biggest thing I've found is that almost all non vtec civics have a 079800-3000 map sensor, and also my 99 Crv, and my 96 3 stage d15b came with the 3000 sensor. Now from all d16y8 's that I've seen have 079800-3280 map sensor, when I run the 3280 on my y8 it is zippy and fast, and all 3000 sensors seem to feel heavier on the throttle, strong torque yet not add zippy and vtec transition is barely noticeable, as well ac does not disable when I floor it with the 3000, but with the 3280 ac will cut out when your driving becomes more aggressive. Any one able to do side by side testing of the various sensors and a graph read out. I would imaging the best way to accomplish this would be to have all sensors fed from same battery and ground and all connected to same vacuum source, and some type of data logger representing a linear line graph.

#3 · (Edited)
Apparently there not, different part numbers for different engines, and different Performance between them. Awaiting scientific input.the ideas here is that a particular ecu,vtec or non my require its OEM counter power map sensor for optimal performance, may not matter if being tuned but for a stock parts build this could help with overall driving and mileage.

#7 · (Edited)
Will do, helms is not Honda, nor engineers, simply a guide to determine If your sensor is making a voltage change with vacuum applied. This is in theory what may be the reasoning for our coherent part numbers, his test was same manufacturer map sensors with slightly different part numbers having offset linear outputs, similar to what I felt and experienced on my civic between a y8 and y7 map sensor. http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/mapsensor.htm

#11 ·
Will do, helms is not Honda, nor engineers, simply a guide to determine If your sensor is making a voltage change with vacuum applied. This is in theory what may be the reasoning for our coherent part numbers, his test was same manufacturer map sensors with slightly different part numbers having offset linear outputs, similar to what I felt and experienced on my civic between a y8 and y7 map sensor. MAP Sensor Output
WTF are yout alking about? Helms publishes the Honda FSM. Factory. Service. Manual.

*shrugs*

#8 ·
I'm sure denso didn't think it was just simply a joke to put different part numbers on the same map sensor between two same year cars, a 96 civic Dx with a d16y7 has the 3000 map sensor, non vtec crappy intake without valve event changes. 96 civic ex with a d16y8 had a 3280 map sensor, vtec, longer higher flowing intake with valve event/volumetric changes. Obviously this is something Honda took into consideration and I'm trying to bring forward some possibly valuable information for mini me swaps, or just standard repairs ensuring that you get the right part. Do you believe all two wire iac's are the same, actually the solenoid is, same voltage, ohm's and amperage, yet different size air outputs to intake plenum. This can cause huge idle and acceleration issues on stock ecu cars, even more notable for those with AC. Ignorance is bliss, until your hunting down issues that are clearly obvious that you choose to ignore.

#10 ·
My thoughts exactly, my s300 is in a friends car at the moment.I would like to take two of each sensors and test all at the same time, with the engine off and supplied vacuum I know I can use at least the map and tps connectors for two what else can be trapped for same reading input?, iat,o2, anything elseif not those two? Nice to have you 007, now where is rdc lol between you two and I, I'm sure we can show what**I'm trying to find.

#15 ·
The reason for different part numbers is because they mount differently. The y7 and y8 are different intake manifolds, correct.

As far as function, they are the same. If they werent, you'd have to choose the correct sensor in different EMS programs. This is not an option, because they are the same.

The manifold design itself has nothing to do with the map sensor itself. The map sensors read the same and the tune is adjusted by the readings. Different manifold design will result in different readings from the same sensor.

Also, if you plug in two map sensors your car is going to run horrible. Your EMS gets the input from both sensors, which is NOT accurate and throws your entire tune off. I had this happen to me to a car I tuned and could not figure out what was wrong. Ended up finding two map sensors plugged in... lol

#16 ·
Wow lol these are same build sensors guys, position on y7 or y8 manifold do not change the mounting type, this is clearly out of your experience. I work for Honda and have done quite a bit of testing., the car with the s300 ecu will not be running, only using its provisions for data logging, all sensor shall join a vacuum chamber, that shall have a vacuum line from another vehicle with a valve and bleeder to increase vacuum to 20", and decrease to WOT condition with recording with the hondata ecu. There for I will be using the intake temp input, map and tps. Simply self ground the map sensor that is running of the iat and bam 3 different map sensors running with same voltage, harness vacuum supply and data logger.

#18 · (Edited)
I agree with the OP. Of course they have the same body. Have you never had to buy one?

And Yes they do have different internals, therefore having different functions.

I also know there is a setting, (At least in Neptune) that you change depending on what brand map sensor you run.

It's because different sensors have different... whats the word.. Its like they have different resolutions or more or less precise. Also have different ranges (Obviously) why they would change something as little as the MAP sensor or y7 vs y8 is beyond me. Possibly they found a sensor with a slightly optimal range/precision for that particular engine.

I know what the OP is talking about. I bet you are right saying that a Y7 tune is probably better with a Y7 Map because the tune is calibrated to the specific MAP sensor.

Just a sec I will try to find the link.

(That technically means that you should change your tune with a different MAP Sensor)

#19 ·
MAP Sensor Output.

Here is my point, same manufacturer, slightly different part number, both sensors have same voltage output but according to different vac/boost levels. Again I'm eager to see the results because my Honda civic has 3 completely different behaviors between the three different sensor part numbers. The 3280 is the stock sensor for a 97 civic ex d16y8, which it runs perfect on the two that I have, I have three 3000 y7/b20z2 map sensors, all feel heavy on throttle, missing top end power, sucks ass to accelerate with the AC on. Yet all 3000 map sensors feel perfect on my 99 non vtec b20z2 crv, including the new one with less than 500 miles on it from Honda.

#21 ·
The reasoning for this thread is if My theory holds water than we can have a dedicated fact sheet for what sensor goes to what ecu/head/intake, which ever maters the most, as well as what iac you should be running as well. Sorry for the drama, but if some one tells me that something like a sensor from the same year yet different engine type and different part number are the same I would clearly question your belief and source. Or prove ya wrong and learn/teach so as not to pass on the "well I heard" gene. This information should not matter if being tuned on the dyno, but if you can use the appropriate parts from the start you won't have to make huge jumps from the start on timing and fuel, along with extremely high or low frequency on your IAC duty cycle.

#25 ·
The option to select different MAP sensors that you showed only has one Honda MAP sensor listing. Therefore the parameters for all honda map sensors are the same.

I believe what the OP is talking about is the relationship of voltage to pressure. The input parameters to the ECU are the same because they run off the same input settings. However, from the link he pasted it shows one sensor has a more linear relationship compared to the other.

I understand what your saying, but I think your theory should be sensor dependant, not engine dependant. As stated above, all honda MAP sensors use the same input parameters to the ECU. They are not engine or ecu dependant. Therefore I dont think one map sensor will work better only on certain engines. I would say the newest version of the sensor (hence the different part number) supplies the best linear relationship between voltage and pressure. If this is the case, this MAP sensor would work best on all honda engines.

I think if you are going to do this test and plot your experimental data, do it on more than one engine. Do both sensors on both the y7 and y8.

#23 ·
Yes, scaler and offsets to be specific is what I'm looking for, yes these sensors read say 0-5v but at what multiplier and what pressure does it start and stop. It may seen minute on paper but driving a small 4cyl car with the AC on with the wrong sensor does not lie.

#27 ·
As you as well described, these sensors have been precisely engineered for specific engine builds and were tuned with those in mind, therefor mindless swapping will have your car running but not as well as the right one for your closely matching engine/ecu set up. , this started when AutoZone sold me a denso 4250 sensor brand new and ran worse than my water damaged 3280, then on a trip to the yard I grabbed a good used 3280 from a stock ex civic and it ran amazing, also snagged a 3000 from a y7 that felt like it was stronger on the revs but had greatly reduced acceleration.

#29 · (Edited)
I'm not logging sensors on a motor, only using the engine harness and my hondata s300, vacuum supplied by a neighboring running engine to a large vacuum collector, I will be controlling vacuum and drop with small air valves to simulate idle to wide open throttle and record each sensors values. My belief is that engines like the y7 and b20 are non vtec and decent but not high flowing cams, meaning not much is needed by map past quarter or half throttle, tps can be used for small adjustments.so it would have a larger multiplier sensor, as to where vtec is more precise hence the knock sensor, it meds a sensor with lower multiplier to see more changes made to the intake signal, like the vtec transition.

To TheToaster, you are on the ball here, if I could rep from my phone you would have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.