Honda D Series Forum banner

D17a1 Turbo, AEM F/IC PROBLEM!!!

7K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  speedfoos 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I've looked all over the internet to try and find a tune I can download for the d17a1 turbo, and no luck. I have the tuning working, but it takes too damn long and I can't get it to run perfectly, and it throws misfire codes. I know this is noobish and the only true solution is to either keep trying for another freakin' year, or bring it to a shop that does tuning, but I don't want to spend 700 bucks again to get a tune. For some reason, the piggyback lost the tune the first time, and the shop would not retune it, so i'm stuck here. If anybody has a map or knows where I can get one, that'd be so awesome.

#2 ·
What's your setup?

That's pretty shitty that the F/IC dumped the tune, the shop should have a copy saved that they can email you though, or if they're picky just re-upload to the F/IC if you bring the car in.

Anyhow, post your setup and I'll see if any of the tunes I have will work to get you running semi-reliably until you iron it out for your specific setup.

#3 ·
It's a TSI D-Series Extreme Kit I bought from procivic.com. It's a Garrett GT25R ball-bearing turbo, with about 2 inch charge piping, small intercooler, etc...fueling with an AEM F/IC piggyback and RSX injectors, which I believe are 440cc...a problem i did have last night while tuning was that the injectors were tapped out at about 5000rpm and it leaned out real bad, then it seems to put more fuel after that and is fine. And my boost gauge indicates 13psi, which seemed wierd to me because the kit said it was going to be 6psi, and i ran with 13psi for AWHILE, like a couple months, which also seems wierd to me because the car is stock as far as intake and internals, and hasn't popped yet. Thanks for getting to me on this, i've found that d17 info is hard to find.

p.s- im a pretty big fan, ive followed all the speedfoos vids on youtube for the past year lol, i was shocked to see you replied to my post, awesome...

#4 ·
I've looked all over the internet to try and find a tune I can download for the d17a1 turbo, and no luck. I have the tuning working, but it takes too damn long and I can't get it to run perfectly, and it throws misfire codes. I know this is noobish and the only true solution is to either keep trying for another freakin' year, or bring it to a shop that does tuning, but I don't want to spend 700 bucks again to get a tune. For some reason, the piggyback lost the tune the first time, and the shop would not retune it, so i'm stuck here. If anybody has a map or knows where I can get one, that'd be so awesome.

^+1

#5 ·
Ugh, I see your problem right there. RSX-S injectors are rated at 310cc, which is good to about 180whp on that motor, which is right around 8-9 psi on that little Garrett blowdryer you have. You are getting misfire codes because you have detonation due to running wicked lean. Unless you are running the RDX injectors which are 410cc. That's something you need to sort out now and we can go from there.

As for the fact that you are seeing 13psi on your boost gauge - yikes. Couple issues and a probable cause.

Issue 1 - Stock MAP sensor flips out after around 11 psi. Yes the F/IC has an onboard 2.5BAR (I think) MAP sensor that it uses to read boost and adjust fuel accordingly, but the stock MAP sensor still tells the ECU what is going on. It will flip the fuck out if it sees more boost than it can read and do weird things with the fuel and timing.

Issue 2 - You're running a piggyback on stock internals with a cobbled together tune at 13 psi and you're leaning out. This is bad bad bad. Sounds like your wastegate actuator is out of adjustment and you need to fix it and stay out of boost until you get the tune sorted.

I don't know dick about internally gated turbos and how to adjust them so you need to do a little searching around to find out how. But that needs to get fixed pronto.

Are you running a wideband? Is that how you know you're leaning out?

Oh, and I love this line on procivic's website "owever, the F/IC will require a little bit of tuning, whereas the TSI system does not need to be re-tuned unless something is not running correctly." Asshats. It should read, "We really don't know shit about this product and are more interested in selling it than we are in making sure it actually works."

#6 · (Edited)
First off, yes we are running aems wideband. As far as the wastegate goes i believe turbojoe2oh may have adjusted it way back but i could be wrong because he knows better. However, all of the symptoms that you listed for that being maladjusted is exactly what is going on. The motor doesn't know what the hell to do and with the a/f gauge constantly in the red i am shitting myself.

Asshats. It should read, "We really don't know shit about this product and are more interested in selling it than we are in making sure it actually works."

^+1 Thanks for YOUR support cause it damn near impossible otherwise.

#8 ·
haha, yesss i love the quote from procivic, they are great arent they? i was young and dumb and full of...need for more power. I didnt really know that i could weld together a way better fitting kit with a tubular manifold, external wastegate, better fitting intercooler, etc...but come to think about it i did clock the intake side of the turbo so that probly threw off the wastegate, ill try to fix that problem this friday, this is actually bionicseahorses car now but im giving him the turbo joe bro warrantee lol, and im never buying a turbo kit again, im making my own from now on. CRX turbo next...

#10 ·
Okay, I looked on the site and it says they are 410cc honda injectors, which means theyre RDX injectors, so one thing i was also thinking was that the stock fuel system probly doesnt make enough fuel pressure, because everything besides the turbo kit, injectors and fic is stock, no fuel pump upgrades and no regulator upgrade

#11 ·
Nope. Stock fuel pump is good to around 250whp(ish) so that's not the issue. The issue is the stock MAP sensor flipping out once boost goes past 9-10psi. That's going to be the limit on this setup unless you do one of two things (neither I recommend):

1. Run a missing link so the stock MAP sensor does not see more than 7 pounds of boost.

2. Setup the MAP voltage clamp on the F/IC, which is basically an electronic missing link. Only problem with that is that you have to datalog the MAP voltages with the F/IC on the motor while it's in stock form to be able to input the correct values for the voltage clamping. I think you guys are past that now.

Unless you run a missing link setup, this build is limited to 9 psi because of the F/IC and having to run the stock Honda MAP sensor.

I've got a halfway decent map I can send you that is setup for 440cc injectors and a bigger turbo. It should get you guys in the ballpark with this setup running smaller injectors and a smaller turbo. PM me an email for one of you and I'll send the map when I get home from work tonight.

#12 ·
Speedfoos, you are awesome, i'm pming an email right now, im sure bionic seahorse will, too. Thank you for helping us out, i guess now we know where to go for d17 questions lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.