Tuning with VAFC2 or Dizzy - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Projctr is learning the way of the DProjctr is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Question Tuning with VAFC2 or Dizzy

I know there have been so many posts about timing and vafc hacks but my ? cannot be found in a forum or I havn't been able to find it yet. Anywayz I've got a mini me D15b7 bottem end a D16z6 head and a p28 wired for vtec. I didn't know that the z6 cam gear was off half a tooth till the other day when I saw it in a forum I was viewing. So yea I'm off half a tooth. Now the ? is can I just turn my dizzy to make up for the timing till my adjustable cam gear gets hear or lean out the fuel on vafc at WOT to make up for the timing? The car starts and idles gr8 and at cruise or part throttle it runs good and the kpr on the vafc reads -80-- -23 and the a/f gauge yea I know light show but is stoich for the most part. Then soon as vtec comes in at 4800 straight to rich and the kpr is -8-- -11 and doesn't seem like the car pulls as it should. And at WOT if I stay in 3rd to long say past 5800 the cel will come on telling me it's reading boost. I just want good power throughout the rpms and am not sure how to get it. I have ram air intake, z6 im, b7tb and b7header, 5zigen exhaust. Also not sure if this has anything to do with my timing being the half tooth off but I'm going through about 1 quart and half of oil every 2 to 3 weeks. But cannot find a leak and the car is not smoking anywhere just smells of strong gas. Thought it was the cam seal as suggested by a friend but after replacing with brand new one still the same problem. Plz any suggestions will be gr8ly appreciated. I will be getting a chipped ecu soon as I can afford one but in the mean time I have to use what I've got so thanks.
Projctr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

no need to touch the fuel, but to get enough timing you will have to slot the dizzy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Projctr is learning the way of the DProjctr is learning the way of the D

slot the dizzy? what do u mean? I've got the z6 dizzy does that mean turn it back towards the firewall or towards the front of the car or neither?

Old 09-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

He means ( i think) extend the bolt holes so you can rotate it more. I had to do this on my Obd1 d15b1

1996 Toyota 4runner SR5=best truck evar!!!

Quote:
ya for real how hard is it to open the lid pull the fuse scratch ur balls for 10 seconds then put the fuse back and close the lid lol
89civichxftw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

So I just got done reading a thread on z6 cam and cam gears and y8 cam and cam gears and I'm so confused. I was told that with the mini me the z6 cam gear is off half a tooth but according to the thread u are supposed to use the cam and cam gear for the same ecu which I've done but car is not powerful at all. So is this correct? I don't need an adjustable cam gear and all this can be fixed by slotting the dizzy? HMMM so if I slot the dizzy meaning (cut the bolt holes and turn it will this fix my timing problem) and if so how much should I be turning the dizzy???

Transzex would u mind if I pmd u so I can get this figured out?
Old 09-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Joey Misanthropy

Rep Power: 16 Joseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Davis

Throw the AFC away if you want your engine to last longer than five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joseph Davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

not using the vafc anymore just to show when vtec comes on and to monitor this is not hurting the motor right? Or just having it hooked up will hurt it?

and with the timing being off half a tooth cause me to run so rich? Plz guys help out I just want my car to run as it should.

Last edited by Projctr; 09-26-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Joey Misanthropy

Rep Power: 16 Joseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to all

I couldn't make a lot of sense of your first post. I just reread it three times. You have an AFC, you have the wrong cam gear so your mechanical timing is off but you think adjusting your ignition timing is going to band-aid that in any manner whatsoever, the engine has a bad oil burning habit, you lay into 3rd gear and you throw a MAP code because your boosting. Yet you're running a stock header and no turbo.

Survey says:

- the AFC very much *is* doing something which is why your MAP signal is all sorts of fucked and the ECU isn't happy with you over it.

- you need to put the correct cam gear on before you beat on an engine, just get the right one and stop worrying about band-aids. I'm not all up on D15/D16 cam gear interchange, all I've ever messed with are straight D16s and for those you just match the cam gear to your cam (which is usually the same as the head). So, for all I know you have the correct cam gear, but the fact part of your powerband sucks makes me thing that's not entirely correct.

- your engine has an oil burning habit, not surprising as anything you change out head gaskets on after it has 70K+ miles turns into a HUGE oil burner.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

yea I'm running a p28 which is from a z6 and using the z6 cam and cam gear which matches the ecu but is off half a tooth because of the b7 bottom end and the swap is about a yr old and a new hg was put on as well as having the head decked and resurfaced so the oil burning is not really nothing to do with the timing I'm guessing. And the vafc is set to stock settings meaning all 0s across the rpm board just using it to tell when vtec engages and to monitor what is going on as far as pressure rpms throttle all that good stuff. Transzex suggested slotting the dizzy but not sure how to do this and where to turn the dizzy to make up for the 4.5 degree timing difference. According to other posts i've veiwed I'm using the right cam camgear setup but I'm off half a tooth because of the b7 bottom end. Do u understand now/

so are u saying that just having my vafc2 hooked up no matter if I have settings on it is affecting my maps?

Last edited by Projctr; 09-26-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Joey Misanthropy

I understand perfectly - it's you who misunderstood me.

I love Bone (transzex) to death, but he knows better than to slot a distributor to fudge ignition timing like that makes up for a mechanical timing problem.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Davis View Post
I understand perfectly - it's you who misunderstood me.

I love Bone (transzex) to death, but he knows better than to slot a distributor to fudge ignition timing like that makes up for a mechanical timing problem.
JD, what I had to do back then, of 1997 or so, only 118 whp form a D15B7 that did 85 whp stock. Using a rat tail file, it was better than jacking off

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2009, 06:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

well I didn't mean to start a pissing match I just want to get my car running good and how it should. So is that a negative on slotting the dizzy and if I should how much should i be turning it to make things right?

Any other suggestions will be taken into account as well. thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in