Distributor issues d16y8 swap - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Distributor issues d16y8 swap

Okay, so I swapped a d16y8 out of 00 ex into my 94 civic cx (Canadian model).

Swap Info:

Ecu: p28
Used stock obd1 wiring harness converted engine from ob2b to obd1.

Dizzy: Y8 dizzy + dizzy adapter harness obd2b to obd1 purchased through rywire.com (8-pin single plug from dizzy to 2 plug wiring harness).

Swap went off without a hitch until we got to dizzy the dizzy is not getting spark it is cranking but not starting. Now when we use an LS non-vtec dizzy car runs and drive fine been using it for now. I also tried to use my cx dizzy which for those who didn't know Canada model cx's have d15b7 so dizzy and engine are the same as the Dx model. I read this is the way to go when it comes to y8 swap staying obd1. The cx dizzy however, does same thing cranks like it wants to start but wont not sure what the problem is. At the moment I am just using the ls dizzy because i need the car to go vroom vroom, but I really would like the swap done right and use the b7 dizzy or even my y8 (considering all the money for dizzy and adapter) Any suggestions would be awesome. Any further information needed please let me know would like to resolve this problem.
Pojoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 11 fuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Did the y8 dist work before? Are you getting a cel with the other dist? It may have a bad coil or igniter.
Neptune dealer, Crome dealer, turbo edit, bre, nistune, street tunes, dyno tunes, ecu chipping obdo and obd1, ecu repairs, no basemaps, homemade conversion harnesses, homemade led gauge clusters, in co springs. Chips In stock ecus in stock with trade in discounts. Email
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or pm
fuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

i have the same swap in my 92 hatch. im using the cx/dx dizzy with a z6 harness. no problems. get a nother dizzy and check. prob a bad igniter
toolow69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolow69 View Post
i have the same swap in my 92 hatch. im using the cx/dx dizzy with a z6 harness. no problems. get a nother dizzy and check. prob a bad igniter
Im using the cx harness and the cx dizzy was functional before the swap Saturday I did drive my cx stock before this past weekend when i did the swap the odds of both dizzys not working seem really unlikely to me. Maybe, it was damaged during the swap but I don't see how I wish there was a way to test it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post
Did the y8 dist work before? Are you getting a cel with the other dist? It may have a bad coil or igniter.
I assume so i purchased it off ebay from those company's that strip cars from japan (emission laws and what not). Its just that the b7 dizzy is doing the same thing as far as cranking but i assume not sparking the engine turns and everything runs I know because I can drive it with ls dizzy just fine. SO Maybe I just got unlucky and my stock cx dizzy broke and ebay sent me a broke dizzy which would be really really crappy considering the timing of both events.

Last edited by Pojoman; 09-23-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 beater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

y8's have the crank position sensor on the oilpump...p28's (d16z6) look for the crank position sensor in the dizzy. Don't know if cx harness has plug that goes to y8 cps on oil pump, but if there isn't one, and you try to use the y8 dizzy, my guess is the p28 can't find the sensor, so it doesn't know when to fire the igniter.....
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
if you go turbo ill kill you chris lol j/k
beater90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beater90 View Post
y8's have the crank position sensor on the oilpump...p28's (d16z6) look for the crank position sensor in the dizzy. Don't know if cx harness has plug that goes to y8 cps on oil pump, but if there isn't one, and you try to use the y8 dizzy, my guess is the p28 can't find the sensor, so it doesn't know when to fire the igniter.....
Mmf read nothing on this while research swap, how do others get around this staying obd1 when doing the swap .

I just read

so what im getting from this is use z6 dizzy?

But wouldn't i get a cel code from something like this only codes im getting is cel 1 and cel 21 ..Knock sensor and vtec pressure valve.

and i used my b7 dizzy it did same thing so that wouldnt explain the cps sensor for this particular dizzy

Last edited by Pojoman; 09-23-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 beater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatness

I'm thinkin, and I don't know this, but maybe the ls dizzy you are using has the sensor in it like the z6 dizzy does. I've read that alot of people doing this swap simply put the guts of the z6 dizzy in the y8 dizzy body and use the adapter harness

Quote:
Old 09-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 11 fuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

The sensor on the y8 crank is for obd2 misfire calculation. It still has the 3 spinning sensors in the distributor same as a obd1 distributor (same teeth count same everything - the mounting ear locations). It should be working.

The f and h family do use a crank and cylinder position on the crank (obd2)
Neptune dealer, Crome dealer, turbo edit, bre, nistune, street tunes, dyno tunes, ecu chipping obdo and obd1, ecu repairs, no basemaps, homemade conversion harnesses, homemade led gauge clusters, in co springs. Chips In stock ecus in stock with trade in discounts. Email
or pm
fuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm thinkin, and I don't know this, but maybe the ls dizzy you are using has the sensor in it like the z6 dizzy does. I've read that alot of people doing this swap simply put the guts of the z6 dizzy in the y8 dizzy body and use the adapter harness
yeah I have that adapter harness figured it would just work but they said the obd1 dizzy bolts on like stock and doesnt require harness so i was thinking of doing that but when i tried my b7 dizzy it was doing same thing crank like it wanted to start but not getting spark.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

what is your source, I'd like to know, since alot of people on here with these swaps would disagree....

Quote:
Old 09-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
what is your source, I'd like to know, since alot of people on here with these swaps would disagree....
My source is actually from here lol in nooby furom i posted question about dizzys and then had issue and posted on here.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pojoman View Post
My source is actually from here lol in nooby furom i posted question about dizzys and then had issue and posted on here.
no, I meant that response for that guy named 'fuse'...lol not you

Quote:
Old 09-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

I've read that the d15b7 dizzy bolts right up and works with a vtec y8....

edit...I just re read your initial post, and you already knew that about the d15b7 dizzy, so my post is pretty much worthless...lol

Quote:
Old 09-23-2009, 08:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
no, I meant that response for that guy named 'fuse'...lol not you
oh lol
Old 09-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Man this is a pain. I cannot wrap my brain around this. I mean I didnt get a cel code when the y8 dizzy was plugged in only that it didnt want to start my car. Same for b7 dizzy. Maybe they broke at the same time and god hates me?
Old 09-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pojoman View Post
Man this is a pain. I cannot wrap my brain around this. I mean I didnt get a cel code when the y8 dizzy was plugged in only that it didnt want to start my car. Same for b7 dizzy. Maybe they broke at the same time and god hates me?
yeah, maybe that is your prob, do you have any buddies willing to let you 'borrow' their dizzy's for a quick test?

Quote:
Old 09-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
yeah, maybe that is your prob, do you have any buddies willing to let you 'borrow' their dizzy's for a quick test?
Funny thing I cant find anyone with one all b series so you know lol.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

well, I wonder if the ignitor from the ls dizzy will fit into the b7 or y8 dizzy?

Quote:
Old 09-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
well, I wonder if the ignitor from the ls dizzy will fit into the b7 or y8 dizzy?
Dunno, even so its a loaner dizzy the guy that did my swap is chill on letting me burrow it but it is for his swap later on lol. I'm searing Craigslist for another dizzy but god with my lucky it will be broken too.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

oh, so the ls dizzy that makes the car run isn't yours...I was gonna say, if that shit works, why bother with it, but now I know why, it's a loaner

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in