Starting problems can any1 help me? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Starting problems can any1 help me?

i got a 1997 honda civic ex wit a d16y8. has headers back wit cat and an skunk2 intake manifold and a short ram intake. old ckp sensor got chewed through by my alternator belt so replaced that wit a new one. engine has a slight tapping noise. everything runs good wen it runs, but onces i a while wen the weather is shit and damp my car won't start and has to be jumped than will run fine but if i shut it off right after i jump it, it won't start. i gotta leave it running or drive it around for awhile. this ever happens or a perfect nice day out. can any1 help me out ait any suggestions on wat to do or check out???

p.s this is my 2nd battery, still having the same problem. and my terminals r tight and clean ,corrosion free. and it won't even crank. i turn the key and all lights and everyhting work except for the temp., check engine, and battery light on the dash those don't turn on or turn on very lightly. and wen i depress the the clutch i hear a click and those 3 lights shut off wen there dim

Last edited by [email protected]; 09-23-2009 at 08:22 AM.
meinerogd@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

please help me find my problem?
Old 09-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well have you checked your voltage on your battery? Should be around 12.45V to give you a good spark and starter ignition. Make sure the cables are clean (no dirt, oil, or corrosion). Also make sure your grounds are tight and clean as well. You could possibly have parasitic drain or just bad cells in the battery.
Also, one thing I had noticed is that if the cap on the distributor isn't tight moisture gets in and causes high resistance on the contacts. This can cause hard starts, so check and clean off the rotor end and button if corrosion occured.
As for the tapping noise it could be from to much valve clearance. Give me more of a specific spot where the noise is coming from. It could be a simple fix. With hondas I have always heard a slight tapping sound, but if you have added some modified parts you may want to tune it a little better to get better performance.
Nemesis24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 bori74 is almost a somebodybori74 is almost a somebodybori74 is almost a somebodybori74 is almost a somebody

the distributor has an oring seal make sure thats on.Make sure you keep the battery terminals clean corrosion will kill your battery.Also make sure the terminals are tight loose terminals won't charge the battery porperly.
bori74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis24 View Post
Well have you checked your voltage on your battery? Should be around 12.45V to give you a good spark and starter ignition. Make sure the cables are clean (no dirt, oil, or corrosion). Also make sure your grounds are tight and clean as well. You could possibly have parasitic drain or just bad cells in the battery.
Also, one thing I had noticed is that if the cap on the distributor isn't tight moisture gets in and causes high resistance on the contacts. This can cause hard starts, so check and clean off the rotor end and button if corrosion occured.
As for the tapping noise it could be from to much valve clearance. Give me more of a specific spot where the noise is coming from. It could be a simple fix. With hondas I have always heard a slight tapping sound, but if you have added some modified parts you may want to tune it a little better to get better performance.
hey thanks alot i'll check my distributor i didn't no that. as for the terminal and battery there fine and this is my 2nd battery and still same problem. about the tapping to be honest i'm not sure where it's specificly coming from i jus no its coming from my head cuz there where the noise is.

but the wierd thing is wen it starts it runs perfect but once you shut the car off once in a blue it won't start up, this doesn't happen always jus at random, it has to be jumped
Old 09-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori74 View Post
the distributor has an oring seal make sure thats on.Make sure you keep the battery terminals clean corrosion will kill your battery.Also make sure the terminals are tight loose terminals won't charge the battery porperly.
terminals r clean and tight and battery is good, this is my 2nd one.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
hey thanks alot i'll check my distributor i didn't no that. as for the terminal and battery there fine and this is my 2nd battery and still same problem. about the tapping to be honest i'm not sure where it's specificly coming from i jus no its coming from my head cuz there where the noise is.

but the wierd thing is wen it starts it runs perfect but once you shut the car off once in a blue it won't start up, this doesn't happen always jus at random, it has to be jumped
Sorry too so long... so when you say it starts and runs perfect, turn the car off then it wont start what is it doing? Does it crank and not start, doesnt crank at all? It could be a bad connection of some sort. Also is there any other mods to the car? This is just to see what else might be a factor. I am sure you checked fuses and connections but if there is a short or corrosion things do happen at random and seem fine later.
Nemesis24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

now nothing works on my car except head lights and tail lights, no radio, power windows or locks don't work and no dash lights. and it doesn't crank at all or make any noise? it has a viper alarm but i disconnected it and still nothing?
Old 09-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

which relays could cause this? and where r they?
Old 09-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

i found out the reason for no start, i blew the ignition fuse, well actually 2 i think i have a short now cuz every time i put a new one in it jus blows out. ima check it tomorrow
Old 09-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

o and thanks for all the help guys
Old 09-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Joey Misanthropy

Rep Power: 16 Joseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Davis

Half lit CEL is usually a thermostat housing ground, but the blown fuse stuff mean a short somewhere. Time to get snappy with a wiring diagram, sir, possibly even cutting your harness apart to inspect that ignition circuit from one end to the other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joseph Davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2009, 06:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Davis View Post
Half lit CEL is usually a thermostat housing ground, but the blown fuse stuff mean a short somewhere. Time to get snappy with a wiring diagram, sir, possibly even cutting your harness apart to inspect that ignition circuit from one end to the other.
yea the short jus happened yesterday wen my dada was trying to herlp me figure out the problem, he doesn't no wat he touched... and yea thecel light did only half light and so did the temp. light and battery light but all the others worked fine
Old 09-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

found the short it was under the driver side dash by the steering colum, the metal support thats there was crushing something so i removed it. and it was the starter i tried tapping it today and it started so it must be my starter but i still don't under stand it, cuz it doesn't even crank wen it doesn't wanna work so how would that be the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in