Radiator fans dont turn on - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question Radiator fans dont turn on

Hi for some reason after my obd-1 conversion on my mini me my radiator fans dint want to turn on i checked the relay i checked the fuse they are good what alse could it be.
HondaCrx88&90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

temp sensor not working or not hooked up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

i checked it i bough a new one for the Gage and the fans switch still same problem the fans dont get power

Old 09-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

it? there are 2 temp sensors on Honda motors

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

Old 09-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 15 vtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Was it working before you did the mini me swap?
vtec_bomber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

yes they did run (my A6 block dint came with one on the thermostat housing if that is what you are talking about
Old 09-18-2009, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

there is one on the back of the block and one on the head below the dizzy

a6 motors have both

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

Old 09-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

nice i dint think of that one lol thnxz
Old 09-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE

Rep Power: 20 Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!
Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bumpysbro

isnt the one on the back of the block used to turn the fan on and the one on the head used for air/fuel ratio?
Quote:
I want your whale penis

I almost had you man....you almost had me? You never had me..You never had your car LOL
Bumpysbro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

well shit i check the wiring replace temp sensor in the back and still fans dont want to turn on.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

Ive never seen my fan on and it doesnt go past half on the temp dial

1996 Toyota 4runner SR5=best truck evar!!!

Quote:
ya for real how hard is it to open the lid pull the fuse scratch ur balls for 10 seconds then put the fuse back and close the lid lol
89civichxftw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

Rep Power: 32 remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 54 reviews
Send a message via AIM to remoer Send a message via MSN to remoer Send a message via Yahoo to remoer

i had the same problem duck hard wired it so when ever the car is turned on the fan is running.
remoer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

I am thinking of that but dang i kinda always like my things just running right like they should i guess is just how i am
Old 09-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

Rep Power: 32 remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 54 reviews
Send a message via AIM to remoer Send a message via MSN to remoer Send a message via Yahoo to remoer

look i will say this... i trust duck(vtecduck)we pulled everything we check every line, ground relays everything and we could figure it out. i'll say this duck has being doing car electronics for over 10 years. so we rig it up to turn on when i turn on the car.
remoer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Rep Power: 26 Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!
Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Steve-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpysbro View Post
isnt the one on the back of the block used to turn the fan on and the one on the head used for air/fuel ratio?
Maybe it's different on different engines but I thought the switch on the block or the thermostat housing was the thermistor/thermoswitch for the radiator fan(s) and the one under the distributor is for the temperature gauge in the cluster?

I assume this because the Honda manual shows how to test the temp gauge circuit by removing the plug from the sensor under the distributor and grounding it to see if the needle shoots all the way to H quickly.

I'm likely wrong though since I'm thinking about it on my '95 and this is an A6 engine being referenced.

Living the humble dream as an independent shop repair tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by
One thing I have always believed, and I think should apply here too for the most part, is this: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Why put forth that effort to tell someone some negative stuff that you know they won't like to hear. Build your car how you want, and let others do the same.

Namaste
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 06:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 sql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 31 reviews

There is a radiator fan relay in the underhood fuse box that is controlled by a combination of the coolant temp switch on the thermostat housing and the ECU.

There are actually 2 additional coolent sensors under the dizzy; 1 for the gauge cluster and the other goes to the ECU.

sql_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 08:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Rep Power: 26 Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sql_civic View Post
There is a radiator fan relay in the underhood fuse box that is controlled by a combination of the coolant temp switch on the thermostat housing and the ECU.

There are actually 2 additional coolent sensors under the dizzy; 1 for the gauge cluster and the other goes to the ECU.
Good to know :td:. I'm going to look up the circuit schematic for them on Monday and memorize how it operates with both sensors in case I get a car in that has a similar issue. I hate just throwing parts at a vehicle to see if it fixes the problem so this info will be of great assistance .

From the way I've heard people talk at work, it sounded like it was always usually sensor on the t-stat housing which caused the fans to not come on, barring a bad t-stat itself. The fans stopped working properly on my Civic and replacing the thermistor on the thermostat housing repaired the issue for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
One thing I have always believed, and I think should apply here too for the most part, is this: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Why put forth that effort to tell someone some negative stuff that you know they won't like to hear. Build your car how you want, and let others do the same.

Namaste

Last edited by Steve-O; 09-20-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Buy a power probe start at the power wire then check ground get a wirirng daigram and work you way back. Thats How i fixed my teg.
mugen2088 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sql_civic View Post

Okay I looked today at the wiring schematic for an '89 Civic, '95 Civic and '99 Civic and the circuit works like this:

Battery power is supplied constantly to the power side of the fan relay, and since the relay is a normally open-type, current to the fan motor is cut when the relay is de-energized. When the ignition switch is turned on, power is supplied to the control side of the relay constantly, however the circuit is still open since the ECT sensor opens and closes the ground depending on temperature. When the ECT sensor reaches its designed-temperature, it closes the ground on the control side of the relay, completing the control circuit which energizes the relay. The power side of the realy closes, sending power to the fan motor and turns it on.

The only other item I saw on the schematic was a wire spliced upstream of the ECT sensor which is indicated as going to the ECM. Since the ECT opens or closes ground on the control side of the relay, am I safe in assuming that the ECM applies ground on it's own when it sees a need to in order to bypass the ECT sensor? Or is this spliced wire essentially a "monitor" wire for the ECM to see when the ECT sensor is activating the fans?

I know the single wire small sensor is for the gauge control module. It's just that I was just trying to look for the other sensor under the distributor in the component location index as well as the electrical circuits of the cooling system for all three Civics and couldn't find any at all.

This is bugging me now LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Namaste
Old 09-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

This is the circuit schematic from a '94 Accord so obviously it has more items on it due to the AC system than our Civics do but the radiator fan part of the circuit on the far left like I described is pretty much exact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Namaste
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in