Could it be the main relay? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 uxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Default Could it be the main relay?

Pretty sure it is, but i wanted a little more input before i went and spent 50 bucks on something i don't really need.

Here's the situation.

For the past few months i could start my car every morning and go where i needed to go, but everyonce and a while the car wouldn't start back up. Like, say i drove a few miles to the store, bought some crap, went back out to my car and it started and went. . chi chi VrooooooOOoommm and died. Turned the key but didn't try to start it and i didn't hear the fuel pump prime. So there i was sitting in safeways parking lot for 20 minutes waiting for my car to stop being a cunt.

I've read somewhere that it's probably the main relay, when it gets hot it doesn't like to work, but now my car won't prime or start at all.

Could my fuel pump be back? Thats the only other thing i can think that would cause it not to prime.

HELP!. . . oh, and take my free shit from my free shit thread.

please.
uxaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Screwy lewy in red

lewy is about to kiss the skylewy is about to kiss the skylewy is about to kiss the skylewy is about to kiss the skylewy is about to kiss the skylewy is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to lewy

Go to the junkyard and pocket one. If its the main relay.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 uxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewy View Post
Go to the junkyard and pocket one. If its the main relay.
I'll see if my gf or friend will take me there tomorrow and i'll take one if i see a civic, most are already gutted though.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Screwy lewy in red

lewy is about to kiss the skylewy is about to kiss the skylewy is about to kiss the skylewy is about to kiss the skylewy is about to kiss the skylewy is about to kiss the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxaxi View Post
I'll see if my gf or friend will take me there tomorrow and i'll take one if i see a civic, most are already gutted though.
Good luck at the junkyard. I love the junkyard myself. Oh so many hidden little treasures for your car.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 Thewall is hot as a volcanoThewall is hot as a volcano
Thewall is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Mine did the same thing, its the relay. Also there are three clicks that the relay will make. 1 for the pump to turn on 1 for when it turns off and the last one for when you turn the key again for the starter.

The main relay actually has 2 relays in it, one to turn on the fuel pump and the other to keep it on. Just a little info for yah haha.
Thewall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Good luck at the junkyard. I love the junkyard myself. Oh so many hidden little treasures for your car.
Meh, its alright there, i just hate it when a new honda gets dropped down and you have 12 people around it taking shit off acting like its gold.

"oh look at me, i can take a short ram off, pay 3 bucks and sell it for 10"

I hate how the world is so greedy.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Screwy lewy in red

Quote:
Meh, its alright there, i just hate it when a new honda gets dropped down and you have 12 people around it taking shit off acting like its gold.

"oh look at me, i can take a short ram off, pay 3 bucks and sell it for 10"

I hate how the world is so greedy.
There's no problem like that in most California junkyards.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
There's no problem like that in most California junkyards.
you guys are lucky then.

Seriously man, one day i was at pull-a-part and a white crx was just set down off a forklift. 12. . . . . 12 freakin people were surronding it and the hood was stuck closed. People were getting big metal bars trying to pry it open to see what was under the hood. it was kinda funny.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

I just went out to my car and tried to start it because its kind of cold out and it started right up. . . So it HAS to be the relay, right?
Old 09-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I just went out to my car and tried to start it because its kind of cold out and it started right up. . . So it HAS to be the relay, right?
Did you ignore my post all together or what? Get a budy with the same type car (most hondas/acuras run the same relays) and swap it over just so you can check. Or you could just do what I said before and listen for the clicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewall View Post
Mine did the same thing, its the relay. Also there are three clicks that the relay will make. 1 for the pump to turn on 1 for when it turns off and the last one for when you turn the key again for the starter.

The main relay actually has 2 relays in it, one to turn on the fuel pump and the other to keep it on. Just a little info for yah haha.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 jollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

what everyone has said is exactly what you need to do. its the main relay...
1. when its hot, doesnt like to start
2. when its not hot but giving you shit, you dont hear the fuel pump prime.
and 3. well everyone knows theres never a three.

LOL

also if you turn your key over to aux. and dont hear the pump, a little trick is to get it about three good whacks with the palm of your hand on the left side of your dash and that usually works...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MR 95 ex coupe- CAF!-R.I.P. put into a wall by work..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MR 94 ex coupe- from the effing canigits eh?

Quote:
I'd fuck that like she was the economy and I was obama!
Quote:
Grab her by the throat and fuck that bitch silly. If she tries to fight just whisper in her ear "don't turn this rape into a murder"
jollyroger494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 greenchad is almost a somebodygreenchad is almost a somebodygreenchad is almost a somebodygreenchad is almost a somebody
Send a message via MSN to greenchad

I've always just resoldered the connects inside the unit, i pull all the relays at the wrecking yard i work at and then test them via the honda service manual and sell them for like 20 bucks as a makeshift reman.
greenchad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 20 tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!
tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

unbolt the relay from it's mounting bracket and let it dangle, then when it acts up just beat it.

You guys should all just get Miatas.
Nobody ever tries to race you, old guys give you thumbs up all the time, and random assholes yell homophobic obscenities at you.
tronsteezz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenchad View Post
I've always just resoldered the connects inside the unit, i pull all the relays at the wrecking yard i work at and then test them via the honda service manual and sell them for like 20 bucks as a makeshift reman.
Thats a good idea too, DIY FTW! lol. I'm telling you guys, its the clicks that the relay make, that is a dead give away to let you know its taost. That and the other obvious is the fuel pump. I would just keep turning the key until I heard the pump, sometimes it takes a while lol. I always figured the relay got hot and didn't want to work until it cooled off.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Thats a good idea too, DIY FTW! lol. I'm telling you guys, its the clicks that the relay make, that is a dead give away to let you know its taost. That and the other obvious is the fuel pump. I would just keep turning the key until I heard the pump, sometimes it takes a while lol. I always figured the relay got hot and didn't want to work until it cooled off.
Thats what i did when i got stuck at safeway, turned the key but didn't try to start it and waited for the fuel pump to make a noise. I'm not trying to ignore your advice, but i dont have any friends with hondas. My gf has a 98 ex but the main relays have different part numbers.

Even when it works i dont hear 3 clicks, i hear the hum of the fuel pump, then i hear the click of my check engine light turning off. Are there more clicks i should hear?
Old 09-14-2009, 10:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

Rep Power: 12 SQSI is learning the way of the DSQSI is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Just spend the $47 bucks on a new one. At least you will have the peace of mind that its new and it wont give you any issues even if it doesnt fix your problem. Mine did the same thing and I just replaced it last week. All is good now.
SQSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 10:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

Turn ignition to ON (but not to START): Click 1
Check Engine light goes off: Click 2
You now turn the key to START: Click 3

Battery current passes through the main relay every second the car is running, so it gets fairly warm. The constant heat/cool cycle that occurs as the car is used then shut off flexes the solder and eventually it cracks. The fuel pump's default state is OFF. There is only one specific condition that will result in the pump running, so pretty much anything that goes wrong inside the Main Relay will turn the pump off, and your car won't run.

There is a picture of what you need to re solder
Old 09-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQSI View Post
Just spend the $47 bucks on a new one. At least you will have the peace of mind that its new and it wont give you any issues even if it doesnt fix your problem. Mine did the same thing and I just replaced it last week. All is good now.
No way man, you are insane. That is a total waste of money, not only can you pocket one from a junkyard, mine just gave it to me. Or you can be SMART and fix it your self. Kinda like when a starter goes out, don't buy a new one, fix it for like 20 bucks.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQSI View Post
Yea, but at the moment if i dont HAVE $47 to just waste on something i might not need, i want to be sure before i spend money, i'm poor.

Quote:
Turn ignition to ON (but not to START): Click 1
Check Engine light goes off: Click 2
You now turn the key to START: Click 3

Battery current passes through the main relay every second the car is running, so it gets fairly warm. The constant heat/cool cycle that occurs as the car is used then shut off flexes the solder and eventually it cracks. The fuel pump's default state is OFF. There is only one specific condition that will result in the pump running, so pretty much anything that goes wrong inside the Main Relay will turn the pump off, and your car won't run.

There is a picture of what you need to re solder
K i'll pop it out when i get home and try soldering it, i was never good at it but i'll figure it out. Thanks alot dude
Old 09-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Yea, but at the moment if i dont HAVE $47 to just waste on something i might not need, i want to be sure before i spend money, i'm poor.

K i'll pop it out when i get home and try soldering it, i was never good at it but i'll figure it out. Thanks alot dude
No problem. Its pretty simple, just don't burn the board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in