Rod knocking. New motor, or replace bearings? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 08:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Rod knocking. New motor, or replace bearings?

Hey guys, i got a d15b7 and i just started to get a slight knock around 4k. Its not loud, but you can just start to hear it while driving. My question is do you think i could just buy new rod and crank bearings and swap them out once i get the color code? Or will i have to resurface the crank and stuff? I'm trying to get a cheap reliable build, and if all i gotta do is switch the bearings out, than i will, but if its more than that you think i should just get another block? I probably can come across a lot locally... But i just know a nice rebuilt bottom end would be more worth it in the long run, this is just my first time doing it so I'm still kinda learning about disassembling the crank and stuff. Appreciate the help guys!http
Stupidslow_ef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
wheres my money man!!

Rep Power: 42 sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 143 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sleepingciv Send a message via MSN to sleepingciv Send a message via Yahoo to sleepingciv

id source another motor, then swap them then teach ur self on the rebuild of the other one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sleepingciv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

I was thinking that too. Its my daily driver, so i don't want it sitting around for a while, but i did have the idea of swapping another block in and rebuilding that one, but I'm still unsure. Anyone know how long of a process this would take, i saw a DIY on it, but he made it look like cake, and i know its not that difficult, but i don't know if i need to take measurements or anything like that.
Stupidslow_ef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Send a message via AIM to JdmEj8coupe Send a message via Yahoo to JdmEj8coupe

i'd say that u have piston slap. If u can, pull the head and c if u can move the pistons around in the cylinder wall it should be a nice tight fit with no play.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JdmEj8coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

not whats goin on^

Quote:
The problem is, my need for speed exceeds the need to save the earth.
Quote:
WELL FINE! I'LL JUST GO EAT THE SHIT OUTTA MY OREO'S THEN!
cmgreen50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 03:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 15 james25  is accepted as part of the communityjames25  is accepted as part of the communityjames25  is accepted as part of the communityjames25  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Definitely take sleepingciv's advice about sourcing out another engine and rebuilding the other. I would take measurements and set the clearances to oem specs just because it's a daily driven car, what I did on my build.
james25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 04:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Joey Misanthropy

Rep Power: 16 Joseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Davis

Once you hear knock, a Honda crank has been damaged. Putting new bearings in may or may not quiet things, but the knock will return in a few thousand miles.

PS - you can grind the journals of a Honda crank, despite internet rumor. The surface hardening doesn't matter. That said, it's almost always cheaper to find a good used crank.

Joseph Davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 05:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

JD, I'm about to nitride your ass........

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Joey Misanthropy

Rep Power: 16 Joseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Davis

Chuck, the next time you come to visit not only will we drink beer but I'll give you a ride in a 450 whp Honda running a turned crank.

Joseph Davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in