No ECU functions - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 06:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

boost ben It's a JDM Star Bitches....boost ben It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Default No ECU functions

Hey guys,

I've recently installed a new engine and engine management system and had everything working a few days ago, now, no more. The engine is a built high comp D16Y7 and the ECU is a P06 converted to VTEC and I'm running an OBD2B-OBD1 harness. The car was running great less then a week ago but I ran into a problem with my rear main seal so I dropped the trans to fix it. Now that that job is all done the car won't start. I tested for spark and fuel and have neither. My fuel pump is also not priming. The car cranks over but no fire.

The things I've checked for are:
  • Spark
  • Fuel
  • Fuel pump
All three are dead

Things I've checked and ruled out are:
  • ECU (tested two)
  • Conversion harness (OBD2B ecu didn't work as well)
  • ECU fuse

Any insight would be great. Is there a relay for the ECU? I wsa reading about a PGMFI relay? Where is it?
boost ben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2009, 06:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

why the hell did you convert it to vtec on a y7? the po6 would have been fine....

Quote:
The problem is, my need for speed exceeds the need to save the earth.
Quote:
WELL FINE! I'LL JUST GO EAT THE SHIT OUTTA MY OREO'S THEN!
cmgreen50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 07:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 24 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 46 reviews

if it was running before you dropped the tranny more then likely you messed something up or forgot to plug something back in, etc. Highly unlikely something just happened to fail now, that was working.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgreen50 View Post
why the hell did you convert it to vtec on a y7? the po6 would have been fine....
Just in case I ever want to go vtec. It made more sense to spend the extra few bucks now instead of buying a new ecu later. I plan on building a 2L GSR later down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
if it was running before you dropped the tranny more then likely you messed something up or forgot to plug something back in, etc. Highly unlikely something just happened to fail now, that was working.
That's what I was thinking but I went back over everything and nothing of importance is unplugged. Also I don't know of any sensor that has the ability to render the ECU entirely functionless.

Is there a relay for the ecu?

Last edited by boost ben; 09-11-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 11 fuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Grounds?
Neptune dealer, Crome dealer, turbo edit, bre, nistune, street tunes, dyno tunes, ecu chipping obdo and obd1, ecu repairs, no basemaps, homemade conversion harnesses, homemade led gauge clusters, in co springs. Chips In stock ecus in stock with trade in discounts. Email
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or pm
fuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post
Grounds?
Good call, I think I'm going to start replacing them soon. I did snap a small little ground strap bolt for the trans ground but I just made another and lengthened it further back on the trans. I wonder if this could be causing it.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 11 fuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

The ecu controls spark fuel and pump. The ecu grounds on the engine. The engine is grounded by one big one on the trans and one small one on the motor.

Will your cel come on for 2 sec then go out? If not the ecu is not getting power or ground.
Neptune dealer, Crome dealer, turbo edit, bre, nistune, street tunes, dyno tunes, ecu chipping obdo and obd1, ecu repairs, no basemaps, homemade conversion harnesses, homemade led gauge clusters, in co springs. Chips In stock ecus in stock with trade in discounts. Email
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or pm
fuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 sql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 31 reviews

The one on the motor is on the thermostat housing. Very important ground!!!

If you think your main relay is an issue, it's located on the passenger side of the dashboard. You have to remove the cover on the end of the dash next to the door.

sql_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post
The ecu controls spark fuel and pump. The ecu grounds on the engine. The engine is grounded by one big one on the trans and one small one on the motor.

Will your cel come on for 2 sec then go out? If not the ecu is not getting power or ground.
Nope no CEL. I think it could be the ground. I'm going to clean all the contact points and make new ones with thick gauge amp power wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sql_civic View Post
The one on the motor is on the thermostat housing. Very important ground!!!

If you think your main relay is an issue, it's located on the passenger side of the dashboard. You have to remove the cover on the end of the dash next to the door.
Cool! I was looking all over for it. I was reading the FSM and saw that its up there but didn't think of going that route. I was going to remove my entire blower fan and housing.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

Check your dizzy, same thing happened to me and my dizzy was upside down lol

1996 Toyota 4runner SR5=best truck evar!!!

Quote:
ya for real how hard is it to open the lid pull the fuse scratch ur balls for 10 seconds then put the fuse back and close the lid lol
89civichxftw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in