D16Y7 to D16Y8 Swap 02 Sensor Question - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16Y7 to D16Y8 Swap 02 Sensor Question

I just got the D16Y7 out of my Del Sol & Put a D16Y8 motor in. I have run the wires for VTEC, Knock Sensor, etc. I have unloomed the wiring for the 2nd 02 sensor because as you know the Y8 exhaust has the sensor in the tunnel. When I plugged the sensor in I'm getting code 65 for sensor heater. I have tried about 3 different o2's with the same problem. I checked the pinouts on the ecu and the only thing I see is that the grounds for the o2's (for primary and secondary) are swapped. (IE Sensor Ground for Primary o2 is in pin 11, Sensor Ground for Secondary is in pin 12.) Would this make a difference as they are both just grounds? I was going to swap the pins back however pin 12 is bigger then 11 and will not fit in the connector. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Kaeon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 99d15b is a name known to all99d15b is a name known to all99d15b is a name known to all99d15b is a name known to all99d15b is a name known to all99d15b is a name known to all99d15b is a name known to all99d15b is a name known to all99d15b is a name known to all99d15b is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Which ecu are you using?
99d15b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 06:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99d15b View Post
Which ecu are you using?
P2P

Old 09-10-2009, 07:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 sql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 31 reviews

I did a very similar modification when I swapped a Y7 for a Y8 in a Civic. I swapped the P2E ECU for the P2P ECU but I used a Y8 harness which does not have the secondary O2 sensor wired into it. So my question is what harness are you using?

And which connector are you refering to?

According to the FSM: Connector D
pin 11 = sensor ground
pin 12 = MAP sensor ground
pin 13 = secondary O2 sensor ground

All pins are the same size.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sql_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sql_civic View Post
I did a very similar modification when I swapped a Y7 for a Y8 in a Civic. I swapped the P2E ECU for the P2P ECU but I used a Y8 harness which does not have the secondary O2 sensor wired into it. So my question is what harness are you using?

And which connector are you refering to?

According to the FSM: Connector D
pin 11 = sensor ground
pin 12 = MAP sensor ground
pin 13 = secondary O2 sensor ground

All pins are the same size.
Using my stock Del Sol wiring as it uses cannon plugs and is not a one piece like the EK I got the motor from. The connector was D Pin 11 which is Green/Blue is actually in the Pin 12 spot. However Pin 12 is to large to fit in the Pin 11 slot. I think I may have confused the SG1, SG2 pins as o2 ones for some reason I will check pin 13 when I get home.

Last edited by Kaeon; 09-10-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

So I went over the pin outs here
.:FFS TechNet : OBD2a ECU Pin out Schematics :.

Most match up but some do not. My Speedo does not work so I took the only orange wire I had (Slot 4) and plugged it into (Slot 1 Still had no Speedo. I'm soooo confused.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Anyone got anything?
Old 09-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Wow. I've never heard of so many issues to come up durong a swap like that. Maybe the sensor in the tranny is acting up.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 sql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow up

Dude, I'd like to help you out here but you need to clarify a couple of things for me.

What do you mean by "cannon plugs"? What's not in one piece like the EK?

Pins 11, 12, and 13 in my Civic FSM matches what's in the link you provided.

Pin 11 SG2 Green/black
Pin 12 SG1 Green/white
Pin 13 SHO2SG red/yellow (D16Y7 ), green/black (D16Y8 )

Is that what you have?

As far as your speedo is concerned - one problem at a time...

Old 09-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

I got the speedo working fine now so thats fixed.

Ok the 98 Civic EX Coupe uses a one piece engine harness that goes from the motor straight to the ECU. The Del Sol uses Cannon Plugs that look something like this.

So it is a two piece harness, the connectors from the engine plug into the cannon plugs which then plug into the ECU. Some of my colors do not match the link I posted above. However I found a pinout topic on Honda Swap that matches the wires I have, but conflicts with the pinout diagram above.

Example:

FFS Tech VSS Says Orange (Teg Which uses cannon plugs like the sol) or Blue/White (Civics)
Honda Swap VSS Says Yellow/Blue which is what I have.

Last edited by Kaeon; 09-12-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Well I take that back, My speedo works Kinda it jumps all over the place.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Regarding the speedo - check your grounds. I've seen that happen when the thermostat housing ground was not good.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sql_civic View Post
Regarding the speedo - check your grounds. I've seen that happen when the thermostat housing ground was not good.
Will do, Also going to try another ECU just for shits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in