Timeing a d16z6.... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Ľ Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Ľ Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Timeing a d16z6....

is there any how 2 on this sub?? cuz i put the belt on and lined up the marks on the came gear "up" is facing up and the othere 2 marks are parallel 2 the....line in between where the head and block meet....(cuz thats what i was told 2 do) and the crank pully gear i matched the lil arrow on the oil pump..2 the mark on the gear...

but when i start the car it just back fires.... over and over... so im guessing the timing is way off... some 1 help me my cars been down 4 like a month and this is the only thing thats stopin me from drving the car... at this point...

ps(its a z6 in an 96 ek) if that makes a diff...its got a p28 whit step down....and obd2 everything else on it...injectors dizz..ect: let me know.
low slow ferio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostfreak0885

are you sure you lined the cam gear up right..??? the crank is very easy to line up... very hard to mess that part up, but if you have too much slack in the belt, it could jump a few teeth and then your timing is screwed up... when you adjust the tension of the belt, you tighten the tensioner bolt, turn the crank about 3 teeth and hold the crank there (keep pressure on the crank so the belt stays tight) then loosen the tensioner bolt, and instantly retighten it.. then spin the crank one full revolution, and re-verify that both the crank and cam match up to TDC...

hope you understand this

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
boostfreak0885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfreak0885 View Post
are you sure you lined the cam gear up right..??? the crank is very easy to line up... very hard to mess that part up, but if you have too much slack in the belt, it could jump a few teeth and then your timing is screwed up... when you adjust the tension of the belt, you tighten the tensioner bolt, turn the crank about 3 teeth and hold the crank there (keep pressure on the crank so the belt stays tight) then loosen the tensioner bolt, and instantly retighten it.. then spin the crank one full revolution, and re-verify that both the crank and cam match up to TDC...

hope you understand this
yess i really do understand cuz iv tryed so may ways 2 get it tight..belive me....but dose the timing sound like the prob in my case???/ whit the not starting and the back firing???...but i will take the belt off and try it your way...

Old 09-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano

if you can verify that the cars mechanical timing is correct, and the belt is pretty tight, and it still is backfiring, you probably have the plug wires wrong, or injectors wires wrong. or the map and tps sensors are switched.

so just verify that the belt didnt jump a tooth, and verify that the sparkplugs and injector wires are in the correct order.. all of this can cause backfiring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
if you can verify that the cars mechanical timing is correct, and the belt is pretty tight, and it still is backfiring, you probably have the plug wires wrong, or injectors wires wrong. or the map and tps sensors are switched.

so just verify that the belt didnt jump a tooth, and verify that the sparkplugs and injector wires are in the correct order.. all of this can cause backfiring
the firing order i wnet over like 20 times is still have print outs under the hood..... but the injector plugs how could they be wrong? and the other 2 i have no idea about...but will look into rite now.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

they could be wrong if you unpluged them and pluged them into the wrong injector... but my guess would be your timing is off, since you just put the belt on

best time so far

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
they could be wrong if you unpluged them and pluged them into the wrong injector... but my guess would be your timing is off, since you just put the belt on
yea idk what ima do i cant get it started...shit sucks... but ima try what u told me 2 morrow couldent do it 2 day cuz i was helpin my buy change his clutch... but thanks 4 the advice hope it helps..
Old 09-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

hope it helps also.. good luck

best time so far

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 11 fuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

I didnít read it all.................. Mark on crank with mark on oil pump. You do not use the 2 marks on the cam gear you use the one mark at 7 O clock and line it up with the back cam cover pointer. Z6 is just a bit diff.

I run the belt from crank to cam to water pump to tensioner then relies tension.

Then I re set ignition base timing.
Neptune dealer, Crome dealer, turbo edit, bre, nistune, street tunes, dyno tunes, ecu chipping obdo and obd1, ecu repairs, no basemaps, homemade conversion harnesses, homemade led gauge clusters, in co springs. Chips In stock ecus in stock with trade in discounts. Email
or pm
fuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 11 fuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regular

Fire order 1342.
Neptune dealer, Crome dealer, turbo edit, bre, nistune, street tunes, dyno tunes, ecu chipping obdo and obd1, ecu repairs, no basemaps, homemade conversion harnesses, homemade led gauge clusters, in co springs. Chips In stock ecus in stock with trade in discounts. Email
or pm
Old 09-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 beater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

maybe these will help...

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #4

Quote:
if you go turbo ill kill you chris lol j/k
beater90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 beater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatness

the best tool you can have is the usdm service manual for your car, and for the engine in your car if it is a swap.....get one

Quote:
Old 09-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

^^^^Nice I donít get why the books say crank, tensioner, water pump, cam. I have done it like that a time or 2 works some times sometimes you end up a tooth off. My way no worries.
or pm
Old 09-08-2009, 06:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
hope it helps also.. good luck
thanks me 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post
I didnít read it all.................. Mark on crank with mark on oil pump. You do not use the 2 marks on the cam gear you use the one mark at 7 O clock and line it up with the back cam cover pointer. Z6 is just a bit diff.

I run the belt from crank to cam to water pump to tensioner then relies tension.

Then I re set ignition base timing.
Quote:
Fire order 1342.
if i took a pic of it would u be able to tell me if its rite...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beater90 View Post
the best tool you can have is the usdm service manual for your car, and for the engine in your car if it is a swap.....get one
gotta get 1 4 the z6

Quote:
^^^^Nice I donít get why the books say crank, tensioner, water pump, cam. I have done it like that a time or 2 works some times sometimes you end up a tooth off. My way no worries.
^^^^ what do u mean whats your way!!!
Old 09-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

yo idk what the fuck is wrong whit my car.... i followed everything u guys said i even printed the 3 pics up there..... and its still back fireing and not starting...what could it be..... timing ccouldent be any more on point!!!
Old 09-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

did the car run okay before you changed the timing belt?

Quote:
Old 09-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
did the car run okay before you changed the timing belt?
yea i just swaped it outta a del so si... and it was running fine i nthe del sol whit about 80 on the clock.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

im readdy 2 just set it a blaze and watch it pop vtec..
Old 09-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

so, you've got a obd1 d16z6 in an obd2 car, but you're using a p28 ecu with obd2 sensors on the engine? I don't know much about this particular swap, but maybe somebody else who does will chime in....
Seems to me, you need to use obd1 sensors with an obd1 ecu (p28 ) and just get a plug n play harness from rywire.....

Quote:
Old 09-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
so, you've got a obd1 d16z6 in an obd2 car, but you're using a p28 ecu with obd2 sensors on the engine? I don't know much about this particular swap, but maybe somebody else who does will chime in....
Seems to me, you need to use obd1 sensors with an obd1 ecu (p28 ) and just get a plug n play harness from rywire.....
i was told everything is the same the only obd2 things that i would have 2 keep where the dizzy...the alternator....and even that site...the option u have thats changed able is the dizzy and the alternator...u can get it in obd1 or obd2...and thats the only things u can change... cuz everything else is the same... o and the fuel injectors but im using obd2s..and i was told it was the same thing so... yea idk

but you ima take my cae and take some pics caz there a afew things i missing and idk where they goo.. would u be able 2 tell me??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in