Tuning with a Ubuntu/Linux machine - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 23 reviews
Default Tuning with a Ubuntu/Linux machine

I know some people don't like windows and haven't really tuned with linux, but I will be here to demonstrate the tuning capabilities of linux with certain tuning programs (CROME,Uberdata,ectune,etc.) and I will post my findings in this thread. It will also be a running log of which programs work and which don't

On to the thread

Im in no way a linux pro, just some dude that needed an OS that worked. If you have some help to offer then by all means do so, this is here to help me and others that would like to tune on Linux and not have to resort to MegaSquirt or Windows. I do have a PC on windows xp (the best windows os btw) but i really want to find the extent of the tuning capabilities of Linux.

1996 Toyota 4runner SR5=best truck evar!!!

Quote:
ya for real how hard is it to open the lid pull the fuse scratch ur balls for 10 seconds then put the fuse back and close the lid lol

Last edited by 89civichxftw; 09-06-2009 at 10:22 PM.
89civichxftw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle

CROME
Out of all the tuning programs, crome is my fav. I was wondering if i could run it on ubuntu 9.04 so i decided to try it out.
First download WINE and install
Then CROME and install
I was excited up to the point where this came up

Hmm,wtf.
I clicked ok and I was sad to see that NO plugins worked. You could still tune, but not with plug ins. I tried downloading them idividually and still nothing.

Also, everytime you close crome, it crashes and gives you an error

*sad face* hopefully I could get another program to work.

Quote:
ya for real how hard is it to open the lid pull the fuse scratch ur balls for 10 seconds then put the fuse back and close the lid lol
Old 09-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Uberdata

This was my second choice because its just as awesome as CROME
I downloaded the .EXE and installed it and configured it hoping that it would work

This is what I got after clicking the " I agree" button and not the "Fuck you" button

Hmm no error code, kind of surprised at this point
Lets see if it will load and map and let me use some features

Has some scaling trouble but features work fine

Lets check out the graphs

Again with the scaling issues. I clicked on the 3d graphs and they wouldn't show up. WTF
Atleast it works better than CROME.

Im tired ill check more out tommorow, in the mean time discuss if you like

Quote:

Last edited by 89civichxftw; 09-06-2009 at 10:12 PM.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

I will also be posting my escapades with the Willem Dual Power Chip burner (as soon as it gets here from freakin hong kong).
That is going to be fun

Quote:
Old 09-06-2009, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 MadScientist is obviously a regularMadScientist is obviously a regularMadScientist is obviously a regularMadScientist is obviously a regularMadScientist is obviously a regularMadScientist is obviously a regularMadScientist is obviously a regularMadScientist is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MadScientist Send a message via MSN to MadScientist Send a message via Yahoo to MadScientist

Yeah running WINE isn't exactly like Windows. Try running the programs in a terminal and seeing what errors you are getting. You might be able to fix the problems if they're missing .dll's. Also try searching around the Ubuntu forums to see if anyone can help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T3 Super 60 - RCAutoworks build.

MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
Yeah running WINE isn't exactly like Windows. Try running the programs in a terminal and seeing what errors you are getting. You might be able to fix the problems if they're missing .dll's. Also try searching around the Ubuntu forums to see if anyone can help.
See,stuff like this is what stumps me. I have no idea of how to run this stuff in the terminal. I will absolutely post this stuff in their forums but i think people trying to tune with Linux are a small amount.

These are pretty much uncharted waters as far as i know.

Quote:
Old 09-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 MadScientist is obviously a regularMadScientist is obviously a regularMadScientist is obviously a regularMadScientist is obviously a regularMadScientist is obviously a regularMadScientist is obviously a regularMadScientist is obviously a regularMadScientist is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MadScientist Send a message via MSN to MadScientist Send a message via Yahoo to MadScientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89civichxftw View Post
See,stuff like this is what stumps me. I have no idea of how to run this stuff in the terminal. I will absolutely post this stuff in their forums but i think people trying to tune with Linux are a small amount.

Learning the inner workings of Linux has a steep learning curve, but its great once you get the hang of it.

Check out Wine's wiki page which tells you how to run Wine applications in a terminal and more: FrontPage - The Official Wine Wiki

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T3 Super 60 - RCAutoworks build.

MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2009, 06:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

panda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89civichxftw View Post

nahh its more like yall are searching the pond while the rest of us are in the atlantic.

panda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2009, 07:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Welp im about to do more tests so stand by

Quote:
Old 09-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Hmm i cant seem to find a good turboedit/BRE download

Quote:
Old 09-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #11 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I have a version of ECUControl i converted to vb.net to run in mono.. there are no fancy dial guages, but you may be able to datalog using ubuntu and mono.. I posted it on pgmfi.org and got a little feedback on it, and i tested it on my car using turboedit with an ng60 or so rom at the time. it seems to work ok on windows in .net, so depending on the status of Mono's vb.net support, it may work for you.. I don't really have time to work on it anymore, but the source is included with it.. so you can go nuts.

I have quite a bit of experience using linux in general, so if you have questions, let me know. unfortunately, most of the tuning i do is in windows, but i have often thought of building a tuning app in java or in a cross platform compatible way to kinda pickup the crowd that doesn't use windows, but that is a tricky situation as well.
sanimalp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Dude, it would be really cool to have something like crome on linux, id be down to be a guinea pig

Quote:
Old 09-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I agree, but it is a time and money problem really. There are lots of people who are capable of programming something like crome for linux, but we all have bills to pay. Its complicated because i would have no problem programming something like that and making it open source, but i have to pay rent too.

That is where stuff like ectune and neptune and hondata all came from. pgmfi was around before hondata came out, its just someone had enough money or took a big enough risk to fund the work of other people to make the hondata system. similarly, its a lot easier to crack obd2 when you are paid to do it 8 hours a day for years.

Then you look at the OS userbase sitting at 95% windows, 4% mac, and 1% other, and you start trying to figure out how you can meet the primary objective and hit the most people with the smallest cost, and you have the reason why everything is for windows.

as a side note, i noticed you are in CO.. I am in Fort Collins.. you?
sanimalp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanimalp View Post
I agree, but it is a time and money problem really. There are lots of people who are capable of programming something like crome for linux, but we all have bills to pay. Its complicated because i would have no problem programming something like that and making it open source, but i have to pay rent too.

That is where stuff like ectune and neptune and hondata all came from. pgmfi was around before hondata came out, its just someone had enough money or took a big enough risk to fund the work of other people to make the hondata system. similarly, its a lot easier to crack obd2 when you are paid to do it 8 hours a day for years.

Then you look at the OS userbase sitting at 95% windows, 4% mac, and 1% other, and you start trying to figure out how you can meet the primary objective and hit the most people with the smallest cost, and you have the reason why everything is for windows.

as a side note, i noticed you are in CO.. I am in Fort Collins.. you?
I understand
Im in Miliken

Quote:
Old 06-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Formally D_Tuned

Rep Power: 19 Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

Sooooooo.........

Whatever happened with this?

I know, I know, this thread is so old but yet the need for bumpage has arrived.

I'm trying to setup a little desktop linux box at my workstation in the garage and have been attempting to get crome to function with some issue. Linux is not as alien to people these days as it was in the past so I am curious as to if anyone is running tuning software on any linux distro's.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 21 cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Just use virtualization. No need to fiddle with Wine. All software will work.

cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in