Richness when going into 3rd gear. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx
Default Richness when going into 3rd gear.

So i went to the track the other day and made some DL'ing passes (2 i recorded anyway). I noticed that theres a big spike down to around 10:1 AFR when I hit 3rd gear, then pulls back to around 12.5:1 within 2 seconds, so I know its hurting my time. I did a 2nd gear pull yesterday, from ~3k to rev limit (7800), and noticed no such drop. The only thing I'm thinking is that my VTEC engagement is at 5500, and disengagement is ~4800, and it may be that my rpms fall to right around 5K, lower than engagement, but not low enough to go back to the low cam maps.

Oh, and also, my car seems to be richer in 3rd gear than in 2nd, where it stays right around 13:1 in 2nd, its ~12,4:1 in 3rd. I got to figure something out, i lost .6" and 3mph the other day versus my old time. Partly b/c it was 100% humidity and track prep sucked, but my tune's different too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< Like us on FB

Last edited by xotic_crx; 09-01-2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Figured part of it out
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!

Bump for me not thinking, and needing some help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< Like us on FB
Old 09-02-2009, 01:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 DocHudson smells like BoratDocHudson smells like BoratDocHudson smells like BoratDocHudson smells like BoratDocHudson smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Have you recorded enough to know exactly where in the map this spike happens?
Try setting your vtec low (say around 3k rpm) then DL the afr sweep from there onwards.
Then reset your vtec high (to around 7k rpm) then DL the low cam sweep.

Chances are you might see where the spike is coming from (lowcam or hicam) since your suspicion on vtec transition point seems kinda valid.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks, i'll prolly try that tonight. I don't have a place to DL in 3rd gear where I live, but will be traveling tonight, so maybe I can.

< Like us on FB
Old 09-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Got to DL at couple of 2nd gear pulls to find out the where the spike is, and on the High Cam maps (vtec was set to 3500), around 5K it spiked down to around 10:1 the first time. I pulled some fuel around there, and only seemed to spike to 12:1, better, but still my fuel is not high there, its relatively lower than above 6K.

< Like us on FB
Old 09-03-2009, 11:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 DocHudson smells like BoratDocHudson smells like BoratDocHudson smells like BoratDocHudson smells like BoratDocHudson smells like Borat

Maybe you could pull a little more there (3.5-5k) so that transition can be smoother once you switch back to your usual 5.5k vtec.
Who knows, somehow the ecu might be interpolating by a fraction of a sec from the high cam side just prior to vtec switchover so the higher fuel values pull down afr around <=> vtec region..
I feel 12 is still rich and could still be trimmed a bit.

Last edited by DocHudson; 09-03-2009 at 11:57 PM.
DocHudson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 12:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

You are running into an issue on the second turbo Vtec car I ever tuned... and understanding the interpolation is awesome at full throttle. Partial throttle whil slightly climbing vac. pull makes it hard to interpolate the differences.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Joey Misanthropy

Rep Power: 16 Joseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotic_crx View Post
So i went to the track the other day and made some DL'ing passes (2 i recorded anyway). I noticed that theres a big spike down to around 10:1 AFR when I hit 3rd gear, then pulls back to around 12.5:1 within 2 seconds, so I know its hurting my time. I did a 2nd gear pull yesterday, from ~3k to rev limit (7800), and noticed no such drop. The only thing I'm thinking is that my VTEC engagement is at 5500, and disengagement is ~4800, and it may be that my rpms fall to right around 5K, lower than engagement, but not low enough to go back to the low cam maps.

Oh, and also, my car seems to be richer in 3rd gear than in 2nd, where it stays right around 13:1 in 2nd, its ~12,4:1 in 3rd. I got to figure something out, i lost .6" and 3mph the other day versus my old time. Partly b/c it was 100% humidity and track prep sucked, but my tune's different too.
Your car is richer in third due to the increased load. In really low gears, especailly if you have any amount of wheelspin, AFRs are leaner.

Is this car NA? Do you have datalogs you can share?

Joseph Davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2009, 05:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
I got Bit by the Boost Bug

Single Cam D is about to kiss the skySingle Cam D is about to kiss the skySingle Cam D is about to kiss the skySingle Cam D is about to kiss the skySingle Cam D is about to kiss the skySingle Cam D is about to kiss the skySingle Cam D is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Single Cam D

Yeah his motor is N/a,Dont know if he has any he can share.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in