99 ex needing assistance:) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default 99 ex needing assistance:)

I think my original post may be in the wrong section of this forum... if so i apologize.

ok first off I'm really digging this site. There seems to be a LOT of help and advice givin here and I really like how it seems like everyone is willing to back up each other too! Kinda gives a man goose bumps lol

Ok first off I have been fighting an on going battle with my car like you would not beleive!!

Here's how it started. I was driving my car down the road on day about a month ago and the car suddenly just died..... Luckily I was able to coast it into my driveway where I tried starting it a few times and all it would do was crank. I popped the hood and started looking for any reason as to what is wrong with it. I noticed my dizzy cap was cracked down the back. (At this time I had a MSD cap and external coil) I ordered a new msd cap and waited a week for it to come in. Once it finally came in I was thinkng "ok cool, throw this in and I'md riving again" Yea wrong!!

I also had a VAFC in my car at the time too and following the advice of many Honda "gurus" I took out my vafc and traded it for a stock p28 and a conversion harness. And the msd stuff I traded for a stock ignitor for my dizzy

The car after installing the new parts fired right up... but it reved really high and rev up and down and if you tried to give it gas would almost always die.

I then traded a password jdm front tow hook and my stock p28 to a buddy for his chipped p28 and he burned me a chip with all the knowledge of what's doen to my car. Installed this ecu and the car fired right up! Nice and smooth and everything!!! I'm thinking the nightmare's FINALLY over... But that was till I turned the car off. I turn the key again and once flippin' again the car just cranks and cranks!!!

So this is where I am right now..... The only thing I've found since then is I'm getting a quick one flash spark when I check to see if I'm getting any spark at all.... I took off my dizzy cap and everything appears to be fine on the inside. The only thing that's not there is the blue wire that snaps on the end of the ignitor (Tach wire I'm told)

And as for a check engine light it just stays on...But it just stayed on when the car ran fine too cause after turning it off and before firing it back up I jumped the check engine pins and got nothing out of it.

I have the virgin p28 here with me as well and I tried putting it back into the car and again the car just cranks and cranks....

I even installed the stock ecu thinking it would run but just like shit with the 310's and it wont even fire.

With all that said here's what's doen to my car

J.R. supercharger
310 injectors
fmu
aem fuel regulator
255 walborrow
msd plug wires
stock ignitor and coil
the car was once a auto but converted to 5 speed (if that matters)

I'm begging you guys... please help me with this. I've been on a couple other forums looking for help and advice and I really think they are getting mad at me cause of all the help I'm being asked...
crybaby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

dang man... quite the checklist

well since your running a non factoy fuel pressure regulator why dont you check fuel pressure while cranking. thats the first flag i saw

Quote:
The problem is, my need for speed exceeds the need to save the earth.
Quote:
WELL FINE! I'LL JUST GO EAT THE SHIT OUTTA MY OREO'S THEN!
cmgreen50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

wait did i see your running 310 injectors on a stock ecu?

you need to get chipped by someone that knows what theyre doing and can go in and reset the injector size

Quote:
The problem is, my need for speed exceeds the need to save the earth.
Quote:
WELL FINE! I'LL JUST GO EAT THE SHIT OUTTA MY OREO'S THEN!
cmgreen50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a p28 here that's already been chipped and tuned with complete knowledge of everything done to my car and I'm getting the same result. As for fuel pressure I'm getting 40-42psi
Old 08-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

take out the FMU, that is garbage and a weak link, and could also be the cause of you problem since you have a base map on the chipped ecu...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

well when I remove the fmu where am I supposed to send all the hoses from it to?? There's a black hose coming from the back of the engine bay to the fmu and then there's th braided line that goes from the fmu to the aem fuel regulator. Do I just somehow connect those 2 hoses? And as for the vaccum line I can just "plug" the end where it's t'd into another vac line so that wont be a biggie.

Last edited by crybaby; 08-25-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
mmmmm sexy bay

Rep Power: 50 jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyb34

you should just keep listening to 5speed4life on ohiohondas.. but from reading that thread i think you need to take the car to a shop... youve gone through ALOT of things and imo it has to be something that being overlooked
5speed4life actually works at a shop in ohio.. maybe pm him and see what theyd charge or if he would even want to maybe come look at it on his own time

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jimmyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 mdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

hook it up stock with no FMU. they are all junk.

"When Congress passes new emission standards, we hire 50 more engineers and GM hires 50 more lawyers." Quote by Soichiro Honda
mdog244 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crybaby View Post
well when I remove the fmu where am I supposed to send all the hoses from it to?? There's a black hose coming from the back of the engine bay to the fmu and then there's th braided line that goes from the fmu to the aem fuel regulator. Do I just somehow connect those 2 hoses? And as for the vaccum line I can just "plug" the end where it's t'd into another vac line so that wont be a biggie.
ok, the braided line is a fuel line, the FMU (fuel management unit) it a dummy unit that was created back in the day before ECU to up the pressure in the fuel line based on vacuum...so all of the hoses and whatnot connected to it, should just go right back where they came from, with the exception of the vacuum line, that can probably just be capped off...the fuel line of coarse needs to be hooked back up the fuel pressure regulator and you need to use the ECU to properly adjust the fuel be increasing/decreasing injection pulses depending on what you need/want...

for more information please conduct a search on FMUs and ECUs

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 08-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

yea but the thing is his shop is like 2-3 hours away and that's just a one way trip.... plus I dont have the kind of funds I know it would cost me to have a shop like that look at it... I'd love to though cause 5speedforlife is a pure and simple genius at everything with these cars but I am certin I wont be able to afford his time...
Old 08-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
mmmmm sexy bay

Rep Power: 50 jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyb34

shoot him a pm on ohiohondas.. he has to bring me my car sometime this week... if he want to shoot past your place when i take him back i can and will do that

youd be surprised at the price he would probably charge... hes a very good guy, one of my best friends

jimmyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

if you are good at grilling or cooking, grill them up a feast and feed beer, or at least that's what i charge...for friends and family "will work for food"

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 08-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'll give it a try and see what he says....

I'm about to just trade the car to a guy for his streetbike and be done altogether with it. School starts back up the 21st of sept. and I need to figures oemthing out quick and I'm just to the point where I wanna b eat the fuck out of this car lol

If I get the bike I can always sell it and make more off that then I could for selling this car in it's current state...
Old 08-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

lol Im actually pretty bad ass behind a grill! lol Marinated Chicken breasts is my thing! but I can make a helluva steak too!

And ironically enough my mom works for anheisur busch and we get all kinds of free beer! You should see our dinning room!!! Beer for as far as the eye can see!!
Old 08-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

its all up to you...but i bet if you got the car running right you would probably be abkle to enjoy it more often than the bike, just a thought

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 08-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

thats just it I dont wanna let it go for a bike because I know how much fun this car is when it was running right at one point........

But I owe the school 758 bucks and need to pay it before my first day.... thing about that is I have the money but if I pay the school then I cant fix my car..... if I fix my car I can't pay the school.. It's a vicious circle I'm in.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

can you ask to school to defer the payment so you CAN go to school? i know the university i'm going to be going to has already notified me of deferment abilities, i still need to talk with them more about it, but it is a service that they offer nonetheless...

also you shouldn't need much money to fix your car, like i said you need to remove the FMU first and allow the ecu to take over the fuel management...

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 08-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

if all else can someone tell me where I can find a diagram of the ignition module wires? There's obviously no blue wire and I need to see if I make one where I need to take it to. I was told that because there's no wire then it wont fire up and people are guaranteeing me that's the reason why...

I've been told that there's a blue wire up close to the windshield on the drivers side connected to a little box like thing that's kinda hanging out all by itself. Is that a tach wire? and can I possibly splice into that, send it to the dizzy and crimp a female connector on the ned of it and plug that on to where the tach signal wire should be?
Old 08-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 mdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by crybaby View Post
if all else can someone tell me where I can find a diagram of the ignition module wires? There's obviously no blue wire and I need to see if I make one where I need to take it to. I was told that because there's no wire then it wont fire up and people are guaranteeing me that's the reason why...

I've been told that there's a blue wire up close to the windshield on the drivers side connected to a little box like thing that's kinda hanging out all by itself. Is that a tach wire? and can I possibly splice into that, send it to the dizzy and crimp a female connector on the ned of it and plug that on to where the tach signal wire should be?
Honda / Acura Manuals - Hondahookup.com

and yes there is a blue wire up by your driver side shock tower mount that is your tach signal wire. but i believe that blue wire leads to the dizzy.

another thing where in ohio are you? im along I75... if your close ill work for some food and beer.....

"When Congress passes new emission standards, we hire 50 more engineers and GM hires 50 more lawyers." Quote by Soichiro Honda
mdog244 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #20 (permalink)

I'm in Zanesville ROUGHLY an hour EAST of Columbus.... we have all kinds of beer here and I'm picking up brates and steaks friday!!! lol

so can I take that blue wire to the ignitor then? or no?....

Or can I just connect the 2 wires I had to when I had my vafc to get the tach to work right? (not actually use the vafc but use a jumper wire and connect the 2 together)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in