High RPM Power Loss - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 shifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Default High RPM Power Loss

Setup:

Stock D16Z6
D15B Cam
Greddy 15g, stock wastegate - 5psi
2.5" downpipe, 3" exhaust
... stock injectors...
Crome basemap - 170% turbo efficiency, 1.25* per psi retard. Runs close to 100% indicated duty cycle in VTEC / 5psi (Crome duty cycle calculation is whack anyway...)

So, the weirdness. When I start it up in the morning, I let it warm up 5-6 minutes. The first couple WOT pulls, it pulls very well all the way up to the rev limiter. Everything feels excellent.

After a couple more minutes, power starts dropping dramatically after 6000 rpm or so. Boost still comes on just as fast, it just falls flat on it's face - with tires spinning it won't even tag the redline.

Fairly certain the A/F is in a safe range, there is no pinging or detonation. Just not certain why it only does it when the engine is hot, and sometimes it is fantastic? Can't see any ECT-related corrections that might cause this.

I'm open to any ideas... and yes, I know I need new injectors and get a wideband on it.

Thanks.
'90 Mazda Miata - Weekend Fun Car
'04 Toyota Prius - Wife / family car
shifty35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 21 boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostedsohc

at redline a 15g is way out of its efficiency range.
the reason why it runs great the first time is cause its not all heated up yet.
after the turbo is hot just from running and the engine is up to norm operating temp
the turbo will just blow hot air at the higher rpms.
11.2 @121mph 1.9 60ft missing 4th
1.77 is the best 60ft so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
bottles are for babies.... boost gets you laid
boostedsohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 21 boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!

i missed the basemap part.
thats got a lot to do with it aswell. its not tuned properly. it prolly gets to much fuel at those rpms to keep it safe from detonation.
basemaps are not made to drive on and beat on the car. made to get to a tuner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:

Old 08-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 shifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to all

At 5 psi? I don't think it's ever in it's efficient range at 5 psi.

I'm starting to think it's fuel pump failure at high demand. Maybe main relay going bad?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty35 View Post
At 5 psi? I don't think it's ever in it's efficient range at 5 psi.

I'm starting to think it's fuel pump failure at high demand. Maybe main relay going bad?
even at 5psi.
when i had my 15g it only made power until about 6200rpms at 10psi and then fell on its face. i mean you could feel it fall off. the small turbos are made for the low end power. and quick spool.

Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
Old 08-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

So you're suggesting it's just getting heat soaked and efficiency goes to crap.

I can buy that. This is my second 15g car, I do remember that my last one felt pretty weak after 6k or so, come to think of it, even at higher boost...

I think the thing that bothers me is it can't even hit the rev limiter with the tires spinning in second when hot. *That* just seems wrong...
Old 08-19-2009, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty35 View Post
So you're suggesting it's just getting heat soaked and efficiency goes to crap.

I can buy that. This is my second 15g car, I do remember that my last one felt pretty weak after 6k or so, come to think of it, even at higher boost...

I think the thing that bothers me is it can't even hit the rev limiter with the tires spinning in second when hot. *That* just seems wrong...
yup mine never would spin to the rev limiter in 2nd at 10psi.
get a real tune and i promise it will help out a ton.
even turn up the boost when its tuned and you will be much happier

Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
Old 08-20-2009, 04:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Bah, maybe I'll just take it to the dyno tomorrow. I have free access anyway :P

Going to resolder the main relay connections in case it's dropping voltage to the fuel pump when hot, and resolder the VTEC conversion in the ECU to make sure it's not dropping VTEC when hot either.

Plugs do look filthy rich. We'll see how it goes.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

After more research, thinking...

I think the valve lash is too tight, leading to valve float. This would explain why it only happens when hot.

Guess I'm adjusting lash when I get home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in