Looking to put in a new motor - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction » Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 12:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Looking to put in a new motor

Im looking to put a Civic D15B (W/3-Stage VTEC) into my 92 civic, it has an old d15b7 non vtec bladyblah...300kmiles(rebuilt somewhere sometime ago?)..it smokes..it leaks oil some..and i figure id go with a "bigger" motor..but i wanted to keep my economy=Civic D15B (W/3-Stage VTEC) ..i hope. it seems like its a solid design for sure.

anyway id order the motor jdm and such, im wondering since its v-tec where the redline would go on my tach...my car currently redlines at 6.5k..i know vtec is barely engaging at that point?

also i think all id need is the obd1-obd2 harness right?

thanks.. any other advice you can come up with let me know
War-Nyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2009, 01:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

If you judt change your typical long block you will use a d16z6 distributor I believe I could be wrong on that... but! You just need to either send out your ecu and have it chipped or grab a p28/equivelent... p08 or the real ecu for the motor. I believe they made them obd-1. That I'm also unsure of... if you run a chipped gsr computer or really a p28 or even a few other you could have the programmer enable the IABs on a p72 based rom to control both vtec point.. you could even go to a single vtec solenoid. But I hear the 3 - stage has nasty mid-range! Which is good for gas... less throttle=lighter loads)

I'm not big on those 3 stage vtecs but good luck...! The 2 things I was unsure of will be mentioned I'm sure.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 24 mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!
mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to mightyjoecivic

just chip your p06 ecu for vtec, download a p08 .bin(map), burn it to a chip and go. If you cant find a p08 map(pm me if you cant...i got one), just get a Z6 map and use that. I believe the B7 and Z6 dizzy's are the same. The D15B was an obd0/1 motor. So make it whatever you want, but obd1 is the easiest to tune.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 Ford Cobra #1252 of 4993-- Bone stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tuning, the other bolt-on.

**Insert 95' 4dr civic...soon**
mightyjoecivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 05:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

i was talking to the engine seller heres what he said

If you go with the 3-stage VTEC one, then you’d need to get the jumper harness for the obd1 to obd2 conversion. If you just want the OBD1 engine, then you have to change up the ecu.

(i was asking about the 3 stage vtec and such)
so he seems to think its obd-2 ...anyway

why the not keen on 3-stage? (its supposed to get killer mpg if ur nice to it..like 50 or so..with the ability to run like a sohc vtec if im mean to her...)
pros/cons?
War-Nyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of the D

Rep Power: 26 Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....
Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyjoecivic View Post
just chip your p06 ecu for vtec, download a p08 .bin(map), burn it to a chip and go. If you cant find a p08 map(pm me if you cant...i got one), just get a Z6 map and use that. I believe the B7 and Z6 dizzy's are the same. The D15B was an obd0/1 motor. So make it whatever you want, but obd1 is the easiest to tune.
There are two different D15b engines. The D15b VTEC that is a performance oriented motor is OBD1 and used a P08 with a 1-wire O2 sensor. There is also a OBD2 version that uses VTEC-e. That is the motor the OP is talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War-Nyte View Post
i was talking to the engine seller heres what he said

If you go with the 3-stage VTEC one, then you’d need to get the jumper harness for the obd1 to obd2 conversion. If you just want the OBD1 engine, then you have to change up the ecu.

(i was asking about the 3 stage vtec and such)
so he seems to think its obd-2 ...anyway

why the not keen on 3-stage? (its supposed to get killer mpg if ur nice to it..like 50 or so..with the ability to run like a sohc vtec if im mean to her...)
pros/cons?
OBD1 motor is the one that's commonly used for performance applications. It shares a cylinder head with the Z6 and has D16 length connecting rods with a unique crank. The OBD2 motor is more like a D15 with a Y8 head. It has it's own unique valve train however. It's proper ECU would be some kind of OBD2 ECU.

The OBD1-OBD2 conversion is not one that's normally done. I'm not saying you can't do it, but you may be on your own there. You might be able to use something like a modified P72 to run the OBD2 engine with an OBD1 ECU.

If all you want is economy, stay with what you have! There's no way I would take the time and $$$ to do the OBD2 engine and the proper OBD conversion. The OBD1 D15b VTEC engine on the other hand is a great motor with more and more support. Since you are already OBD1, you just need a P08 or better yet, a chipped P28 (that will give you the ability to tune in the future).

Last edited by Aragorn; 08-11-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 07:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

The b7 and z6 dizzies are not the same and the d15b 3 stage never came obd-0.

I already stated what it was... no need for a incorrect correction unless I was indeed wrong...

I personally would also opt for a different motor. D15b vtec or at atleast hook up the 3 stage to work properly if you use the motor... the motor I've seen a few times now swapped and everyone was pleased.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in