ECU confusion. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default ECU confusion.

I have a '97 Civic LX. d16y7. non v-tech.

have had some consistent issues for a while now.. had a surging idle.. cleaned the IACV, checked for vacuum leaks, blah blah.. yea.. so.. the surging idle, in conception was sporadic.. happening at stop lights.. so I'd kill the car... start it back up and no problems.. until it finally started up in a surging idle... (after replacing plugs, wires, dist. cap, PCV valve.)
The surging idle goes away and comes again at will... when the surge is gone the car idles really rough, almost dying out after a rev to around 3000 or so.. and it runs really rich, smokes black (not blue) on idle.. with carbon splattering out onto the drive. Getting too much fuel and not burning it fast enough?

so.. my instincts tell me electrical... thinking TPS or ECU as the culprit..
now.. TPS is only sold new on a new TB... so, I'll start with a new ECU... cause I mean... even if it's not the problem... a new ECu can't really hurt in the long run... But.. I'm having some issues with the part #s for the LX... I'm only getting DX, EX and HX... obviously so.. since the LX is basically a DX with 4 doors and powered windows/mirrors... My issue is... the DX part number is a P2E # with A01,A02 etc etc... will that part number work properly on the LX? Same timing, same injectors, same everything... at least mechanical...

Also, the TPS.. can this sensor going bad effect the timing or the car running rich? Just had the timing belt replaced within the last 1000 miles..

CEL is throwing codes for O2-1, MAP, TPS and 02-2. (All of these codes suddenly happened at once.)

If it is the ECU that's going bad... would it throw false codes?

This is annoying.

Last edited by azwethinkweiz; 08-05-2009 at 10:30 PM.
azwethinkweiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

The DX and LX use the same engine. Same engine, same ecu. Dont waste your money. A new ecu is like $500.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

hmm I'm not trying to change between DX and LX mate... just wondering if they use the same ECU..

new ECU from autozone is 316.99$

Old 08-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

also, the part # that comes up at "autozone"... when they search for my make and model.. it comes up with something like P2E-L31 vs the A01,A02...

Is this a compatible ECU number?

Last edited by azwethinkweiz; 08-05-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Same engine, same ecu.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

obviously you're daft mate...

different ECUs for MT and AT..

L31 and L81 are the same ecu for MT and AT...

thanks for the help.

I understand P2E is for the d16y7... which is DX/LX...

if you would... could you post the same post again? I like the bold... but maybe a wee bit larger this time? give it some oompf... put some passion in it.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

uhg.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwethinkweiz View Post
obviously you're daft mate...

different ECUs for MT and AT..

L31 and L81 are the same ecu for MT and AT...

thanks for the help.

I understand P2E is for the d16y7... which is DX/LX...

if you would... could you post the same post again? I like the bold... but maybe a wee bit larger this time? give it some oompf... put some passion in it.
You didnt say anything about transmission you fucking moron. The d16y7 in the dx is the same fucking d16y7 in the lx. They use the same fucking ecu.

The ecu is the last thing you should replace but I dont give a shit what you do with your money. Have fun.

The L in L31 means its California emissions.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

like I said... thanks for the help...

instead of trying to be a cocky little wank... you could actually say something beneficial.

something like the L = california information would have been useful... vs simply stating a broad generalized statement of "same car, same ecu."

I was asking if these ECU secondary codes were compatible with the 1997 Honda Civic LX. D16Y7... Why be a douche?

Also, thanks for your input on whether or not you would replace the ECU.. but, I really feel like that's a concern... seeing as many codes popped up at once... right after plugs, wires, dist. cap were replaced... it's either TPS or ECU... since there are no vacuum leaks, IACV has been recently cleaned... etc etc.. and the fact that... the problems didn't happen... they gradually happened. my problem is electrical... I'll start with the most obvious...

Oh top notch passion this time pal... really nicely done.

Last edited by azwethinkweiz; 08-06-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

check the sensors. if the sensors are good, then check the connections, if they are good then the ecu is bad simple as that.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2009, 04:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

jeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussie

Quote:
like I said... thanks for the help...

instead of trying to be a cocky little wank... you could actually say something beneficial.

something like the L = california information would have been useful... vs simply stating a broad generalized statement of "same car, same ecu."

I was asking if these ECU secondary codes were compatible with the 1997 Honda Civic LX. D16Y7... Why be a douche?

Also, thanks for your input on whether or not you would replace the ECU.. but, I really feel like that's a concern... seeing as many codes popped up at once... right after plugs, wires, dist. cap were replaced... it's either TPS or ECU... since there are no vacuum leaks, IACV has been recently cleaned... etc etc.. and the fact that... the problems didn't happen... they gradually happened. my problem is electrical... I'll start with the most obvious...

Oh top notch passion this time pal... really nicely done.
How about you don't fuck with chris since he really did help you.
Take it and deal NOOB or we'll have a neg rep party on your ass.

1995 Delcamino D15Beater7
Synchrotech EX trans / LSD clutch
Ebay Header/Hackpro Custom 2" Exhaust
Nitrous Express Wet Kit
Hackpro Custom one-off tow hitch.

Quote:
You win at everything forever!
jeremy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

hey thanks cervan.

Oh noes! a rep party!? I'm positive I'll neglect to give a shit about the random e-peens you might throw about... I simply asked a question, and someone was a douche.... with the little :: palm-face :: icon (lawl) and the bold letters. haha... wtf ever... but yea... gl on the rep thing... I'm sure it'll pwn my newb ass...

anyway.....

Thanks again tho cervan...
I'll peep the connectors, make sure everything is kosher.. maybe dilelectric grease in the plugs?

I know you need special tools to calibrate your TPS... which I obviously don't have... anyone know how much this procedure might cost from say a dealership? found a few TPS online, since they're sold new only on a new throttle body. so it's either 350$ for a TB+ TPS or 70$ for the sensor lol.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Resident Crab

Rep Power: 50 krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews
Send a message via AIM to krychek57 Send a message via MSN to krychek57 Send a message via Yahoo to krychek57

You can buy replacement TPS's on ebay.

Also you do not need special tools to calibrate it. You just need a volt meter and a little time.

krychek57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 ghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:

my problem is electrical... I'll start with the most obvious...
...not really. If the ecu spits out a bunch of codes, it usually means a few things aren't working right or something happened to make the ecu think they aren't working right. Don't toss a $300 ecu at it, I doubt that it is the problem. Plus, you can find a used, known good ecu for a fraction of that if you think its the problem.

As for the black smoke/rich issue, did this occur at the same time as the cel? If not, check the vac line going to the fpr, and make sure your fuel return isnt kinked.
ghettoturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Sorry to post in your thread but I have a question. I have a 97 Civic Ex D16Y8. I was wondering if I should swap ecus to the P28? How much would that help if any? And should I buy a chipped ECU, right now all I have is headers, exhaust, custom long air intake. I plan on upgrading the engine really soon so I can go tubro. Any INFO will help thank you.
Chinocolypse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in