Removing charcoal canister - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

boost ben It's a JDM Star Bitches....boost ben It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Default Removing charcoal canister

Hey guys,

Yesterday I received my chipped OBD1 ECU and conversion harness and I was wondering if I can remove my charcoal canister with out getting a CEL? I currently have the engine removed from my car and want that thing out of there. I'm going to be tuning my car myself using crome pro but I don't want a check engine light because I removed the sensors. I know if I were to remove it and stay OBD2B I would throw a code but I don't know if OBD1/ crome look for it.

Any help Would be great.
boost ben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 mdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

you can get rid of it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When Congress passes new emission standards, we hire 50 more engineers and GM hires 50 more lawyers." Quote by Soichiro Honda
mdog244 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series Rally Man

Rep Power: 12 Honda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Bin it. Blank off the fuel tank hose that runs to it and the IM hose and whatever there is, its of no use to you lol

I did its fine, no electrics involved with it at all...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My build:

Honda-Rallying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Sounds good, thanks guys!
Old 07-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....

So if I pinch/block off the return line will it pass emissions? Like sounds stupid but they have a procedure for looking for a charcoal canister. What about if I just move my black catch can with red hoses to the charcoals spot...
Old 07-25-2009, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 nolakid504 is learning the way of the Dnolakid504 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPERSEDAN View Post
So if I pinch/block off the return line will it pass emissions? Like sounds stupid but they have a procedure for looking for a charcoal canister. What about if I just move my black catch can with red hoses to the charcoals spot...
if you have emissions just leave it hooked up.. once you pass remove it lol.

just remember to keep it and all hoses around for when your next test comes
nolakid504 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 02:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
VTEC withdrawals

Rep Power: 12 spoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatness
Send a message via Skype™ to spoonsol

what exactly does the charcoal canister do? i was looking at it the other day and was like....what kind of good does this damn thing do?
spoonsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 07:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to 91dohccivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonsol View Post
what exactly does the charcoal canister do? i was looking at it the other day and was like....what kind of good does this damn thing do?
It vents your gas tank
91dohccivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 07:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 a5hatch is hot as a volcanoa5hatch is hot as a volcano
a5hatch is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91dohccivic View Post
It vents your gas tank
Correct, its a place to absorb the vaporized fuel in your tank to reduce the Hydrocarbons of gas that come out of your gas cap when you open it. another great emissions idea.

377WHP 292Lbs TQ

Quote:
Sir, how the eff do you rebuild oil?
a5hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
VTEC withdrawals

Rep Power: 12 spoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91dohccivic View Post
It vents your gas tank
o ok. so does it rob ANY power at all. doesnt seem like it would if all its doing is that.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 a5hatch is hot as a volcanoa5hatch is hot as a volcano
a5hatch is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonsol View Post
o ok. so does it rob ANY power at all. doesnt seem like it would if all its doing is that.
No it doesnt effect power at all. The vacuum line from the canister to the manifold is just so it can purge and burn some of the vapors in the canister. Nothing thats going to add or subtract power.

377WHP 292Lbs TQ

Quote:
Sir, how the eff do you rebuild oil?
a5hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

^^ exactly what he said!! the only "useful" reasons i can see to remove one would be

you live in a state that doesnt have emissions

you need the vac port on the intake for somethng else (highly unlikely b/c its so small)

you need the room on the fire wall for a catch can

not that good of reasons really... but that all i can think of lol
forcefedsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 01:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
VTEC withdrawals

thats what i was thinking. i live in a county where we dont have emissions but if it isnt stealing any power why screw with it. im leaving mine alone...i need as few problems as possible lol
Old 09-17-2009, 01:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....

I took mine off since I'm good for 3 more years. It looks cleaner than most. Do it!
Old 09-17-2009, 01:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 22 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to greasemonkey89

looks better without but i must keep mine cali sucks but it wont trigger a cel.

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 05:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

BEFORE

AFTER
Old 09-17-2009, 06:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 workinprog is a name known to allworkinprog is a name known to allworkinprog is a name known to allworkinprog is a name known to allworkinprog is a name known to allworkinprog is a name known to allworkinprog is a name known to allworkinprog is a name known to allworkinprog is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 17 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost ben View Post
BEFORE

AFTER
I'm confused if I wanted to remove mine i just block off the return line that goes back to the fuel tank?

cause those threads are awsome.... but scary
workinprog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 06:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Resident Crab

Rep Power: 50 krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews
Send a message via AIM to krychek57 Send a message via MSN to krychek57 Send a message via Yahoo to krychek57

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinprog View Post
I'm confused if I wanted to remove mine i just block off the return line that goes back to the fuel tank?
Do not block it.

krychek57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 07:00 AM   #19 (permalink)
Defender of the D

Rep Power: 19 Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!
Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews

So just leave it open for the vapors to vent to the atmosphere?
Quote:
to put the words all motor d16 and beast in the same sentence is pretty funny LOL , go boost if you want a beast, the best you can hope for NA is a kitten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrain T.
If it's not a Honda, Its a Nissan
Dmod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 22 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to greasemonkey89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmod View Post
So just leave it open for the vapors to vent to the atmosphere?
yes sir

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in