DIY Tuning w/datalogging. Is this a good buy? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 mrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Default DIY Tuning w/datalogging. Is this a good buy?

Just wanted to get an up-to-date opinion of the Xenocron DIY tuning into package, found here...

Xenrocron Tuning: DIYer Intro Tuning Package (Moates Ostrich Eprom Emulator, USB Datalogging Kit, Innovate LC-1 Wideband Kit) #DIY-Intro-Pk

Is this a decent buy, OR should I be looking into the Moates Demon instead? If so, please educate me on YOUR opinion of the pro's and con's...

To be honest, I just want a cost effective tuning solution that I can do on my own. I'm not looking for 110% horsepower potential, I'm just trying to learn and get things running stronger than the stock map at this point. I'd like to think that someday I could go to a dyno, but the majority of my tuning (if not ALL of it) will be done on the street. I'm hoping to go turbo someday, as I built my ZC to handle it, but I'm beginning to wonder if car funds and school funds are a good combination...

Either way - I'm not asking HOW to tune, I'm just trying to get people's advice on the above listed hardware, or any other cost effective solution.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
mrtodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

It's a good kit. If you're tuning with Crome then don't get the demon cause there isn't any support for it yet. If you're using eCtune then they have demon support.

I haven't used the free version of eCtune so I'm not sure what you will encounter with that.

A friend of mine is an authorized eCtune dealer and he showed me his copy of the dealer software but that's all I have seen.

At any rate, register on pgmfi.org if you haven't already. Let the tuning begin.
Falcon7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
I haven't used the free version of eCtune so I'm not sure what you will encounter with that
free version of ECtune is only a datalogger

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

boost ben It's a JDM Star Bitches....boost ben It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

This kit looks like a great buy. I'm really considering this. It looks to be a complete package.

If we were to buy this could we run the free crome program?

Do we need a burner or is this everything we need to tune just our own cars?
boost ben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 Thewall is hot as a volcanoThewall is hot as a volcano
Thewall is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

I would like to know to, I know you need a burner to get stock maps or a base map. But I haven't really found anything about the tuning side. And of course you would need a program to tune with and a laptop or I guess with the burner you can datalog and re burn the chip accodingly. I think you plug the ecu into the ostrich then into you tuning device, i.e. laptop. This is all regurgitated information so Im not 100% positive this is how its done. But def. something I want to know haha.
Thewall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 mrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost ben View Post
This kit looks like a great buy. I'm really considering this. It looks to be a complete package.

If we were to buy this could we run the free crome program?

Do we need a burner or is this everything we need to tune just our own cars?

No need for a burner. The Moates Ostrich is an active ROM emulator... So you just upload any ROM modification from your laptop to the Ostrich and you're good to go. It's all live. Just go via Crome or whichever other programs are compatible.

I just don't know which one is the best though. I like the idea of having Datalogging infused with everything, both on the software and hardware side (ie Moates Daemon w/ectune)

-

-

-

Last edited by mrtodd; 07-14-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Nice good to know, I dont mean to jack the thread, but if this kit were to be purchased what would you use to datalog? can't you datalog through crome pro? And the kit comes with datalogging hardware.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 SOHCitTOem is hot as a volcanoSOHCitTOem is hot as a volcano
SOHCitTOem is hot as a volcanoSOHCitTOem is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

If using crome free, you would use something like freelog to datalog. But the only downside is that with datalog data and your fuel/timing maps in 2 different programs, you will not be able to overlay the AFR to the specific cell/column. I had a hardtime getting freelog to work so i went and steped up to eCtune. And for the past year of use, I love the program.

built single cam.

track tool.
SOHCitTOem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh nice, thanks. Rep for you for putting up with noob questions! haha Well then your set with that kit, you just have to get the good software. Oh and the chipping kit, but what is 15 dollars compared to 400 haha.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

I just priced both the Ectune demon bundle and with everything added as well as the intro package and there close in price.

For the intro package with Ectune license, chipped ECU, wide band, and conversion harness it cam out to $817

The Ectune Demon bundle with the same items, chipped ecu, conversion harness, wide band, and logging cable came out to $837

For the tiny price difference I would get the demon, assuming everything listed in both is in fact everything you need to get a car tuning. there's a video I found on you tube of the demon in action that was really a seller for me.

YouTube - Moates Demon Install Video
Old 07-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ectune is 70 dollars more, why would the conversion harness be needed if obd-1 is what is being used. unless its something different. Wide band is included and I take it the gauge isn't needed because you can datalog with crome pro (which is only 130). The harness is an extra 300? cuz I got about 520.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHCitTOem View Post
If using crome free, you would use something like freelog to datalog. But the only downside is that with datalog data and your fuel/timing maps in 2 different programs, you will not be able to overlay the AFR to the specific cell/column. I had a hardtime getting freelog to work so i went and steped up to eCtune. And for the past year of use, I love the program.

Thanks for your input.

I've heard of several people having trouble with Freelog, and that's what I'm afriad of happening. I was debating on moving up to Crome Pro, but at the same time it seems like ectune is newer and more refined, and if I go with that i might as well use the Demon instead of Ostrich.

Decisions decisions...

-

-

-
Old 07-14-2009, 11:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 SOHCitTOem is hot as a volcanoSOHCitTOem is hot as a volcano
SOHCitTOem is hot as a volcanoSOHCitTOem is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

well the demon has a lot more features than just having a romulator and datalogger into one package. you have full bluetooth capabilities, you can store up to 12 different maps, i believe it's faster than the ostrich 2.0 also. as for the bluetooth, you'd have to check with whatever EMS you plan to use if they are compatible or not. eCtune has been working on it but I'm not sure if it's 100% ready.

I currently have an ostrich 2.0 and hulog and I use eCtune. So far, no complaints but I wish I did have a faster laptop. There are plenty of othere eCtune users here too. Check out the eCtune forum also because lot's of info in there to help you in choosing an EMS.

built single cam.

track tool.
SOHCitTOem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 05:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewall View Post
Ectune is 70 dollars more, why would the conversion harness be needed if obd-1 is what is being used. unless its something different. Wide band is included and I take it the gauge isn't needed because you can datalog with crome pro (which is only 130). The harness is an extra 300? cuz I got about 520.
I'm OBD 2B so I need to add a chipped ECU and conversion harness as well as Ectune $175+$70+$200
Old 07-15-2009, 05:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boosted-EH-804

I would look into the demon and then just get a lc-1 kit from them if your only gonna be tuning your car

Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 uxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to all

I bought the same kit from xenocron last year. Lc-1/cromepro/ostrich

my only complaint is that my laptop's battery runs out too fast while datalogging.

Not cromes fault, its my shitty laptops fault.
uxaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 hondaholic_7 is almost a somebodyhondaholic_7 is almost a somebodyhondaholic_7 is almost a somebodyhondaholic_7 is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

dont mean to thread jack but iam a noob at this tuning stuff aswell, so you guys are saying that with an ostrich you dont need a chip burner??? so just leave the ostrich plugged up to the ecu??
Old 07-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #18 (permalink)

correct. Although i'm not to sure about leaving it in the ecu, I think only for tuning. It all saves onto the chip when your done.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 ghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

If you only need to tune one car, you can leave the ostrich in the car all the time. Otherwise, you will need a chip burner as well to make a chip once you are done tuning. Keep in mind that with the eCtune single-user license, you must leave the Ostrich in the ecu at all times.

Last edited by ghettoturbo; 07-20-2009 at 09:40 AM.
ghettoturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

Oh, sorry to miss inform. That makes sense though haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in