Shoot!!! Ecu blew up!!! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Shoot!!! Ecu blew up!!! PICS ARE UP!!!

So i was taking my car to tune and the tuner started hooking up my hondata unit. He could not get a reading from the Unit/ ECU. My tuner pulled the ECU out and took a look at it. He opened the cover and the chipped P28 was fried. I MEAN FRIED!!! It was covered in soot and reacked so bad. He hooked up a new P28 and we started the car... BOOM that ECU fried too... so now im down to nothing... can anyone explain why the ECU went and how do i fix this situation. Thanks guys

Last edited by sergiolib; 07-09-2009 at 09:53 PM.
sergiolib is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 20 tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!
tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

most likely you have a short somewhere in one of the high side driver circuts bust out the multi meter and the etm and get to work.
You guys should all just get Miatas.
Nobody ever tries to race you, old guys give you thumbs up all the time, and random assholes yell homophobic obscenities at you.
tronsteezz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

I'll ask the gods tomorrow if I remember.

Two of the best will be at a cook out tomorrow night.

I get to be the dumb one.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 03:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
d-series Member

hatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the sky

which part of the ecu is getting damaged? like can you tell where its frying first? blown resistors or anything?
Old 07-08-2009, 05:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Thanks for the help guys. Trontsteez what do you mean by the high side driver circuit? And if i use the voltmeter should i start from the ECU or the harness? BOOO I hate wiring.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE

Rep Power: 20 Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!
Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bumpysbro

High Side Driver(Power) Low Side Driver(Ground). ECU uses a driver to either provide ground to a circuit like say your fuel injectors when they need to come on, or provide lets say a 5v reference to a tps.
Quote:
I want your whale penis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I almost had you man....you almost had me? You never had me..You never had your car LOL
Bumpysbro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 06:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Thanks for the explanation! Should i start with the voltmeter checking out the harness or the plug in on the ECU?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 20 tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!
tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpysbro View Post
High Side Driver(Power) Low Side Driver(Ground). ECU uses a driver to either provide ground to a circuit like say your fuel injectors when they need to come on, or provide lets say a 5v reference to a tps.
correct.

I would guess that it would be a high side driver circuit short because, the whole chassis is used as ground so shorts to ground are most common.

I would find out which circuits the ecu provides power to and check them for contenuity to ground. (With the ecu unplugged measuere from the correct pin in the harness plug to ground)

also make sure no fuses have been replaced with a larger one than original. When electrical fires happen it is due to exessive current, look for anything that could cause higher than normal amprage to pass through the ecu.
Nobody ever tries to race you, old guys give you thumbs up all the time, and random assholes yell homophobic obscenities at you.

Last edited by tronsteezz; 07-08-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE

Rep Power: 20 Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!
Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bumpysbro

best advice anyone can give you right there. Rep for tronz
Quote:
I want your whale penis

I almost had you man....you almost had me? You never had me..You never had your car LOL
Bumpysbro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Pics of the top and bottom of the ECU circuit board?
Falcon7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Pics will be up tonight! Thanks Trotsteez, Rep for you man. Ill start with your instructions. What a pain!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 11 fuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Pics will make a huge differents. You may have iat iac mixed up. Injector wires shorted to ground will just keep injectors on. It is probably a 12v output from the ecu to ground. The ones I can think of is vtec solenoid, iac, o2 heater, fuel pump output, iab, ignition control, purge and ac stuff. But even then some of them may just ground to turn on a relay and a p28 has no iab lol or some sorted to ground will not do anything but cause codes.

I know if you short a 5 volt ref for any of the sensors like ect, iat, tp, map that will not blow anything just set a code amperage is still controlled my the ref resistor. If any of the 3 spin sensor wires it will do nothing but set codes. If the o2 same thing just sets codes.
Neptune dealer, Crome dealer, turbo edit, bre, nistune, street tunes, dyno tunes, ecu chipping obdo and obd1, ecu repairs, no basemaps, homemade conversion harnesses, homemade led gauge clusters, in co springs. Chips In stock ecus in stock with trade in discounts. Email
or pm
fuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

I just took a quick peek at an etm and remembered that there are quite few high side drive circuits in the powertrain.

post pics of the ecu and maybe someone more fammiler with ecu internals will be able to advise the area to investigate.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

So epic fail. sorry team i couldnt get pics tonight. My buddy was busy with his kids tonight, i couldnt get my car in his shop. All he told me was that the resistors for the chip blew and it destroyed the whole board. I will try to get pics tom. but can anyone explain the high driver side of the ECU. What does it power?
Old 07-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Alright guys pics are in! Chime in please!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 11 fuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Good old q31 you need this. I was wrong its purge and iac, not iac and iat.

Xenocron Tuning: Xenocron Q31 Transistor. #[Q34-Q31]
Neptune dealer, Crome dealer, turbo edit, bre, nistune, street tunes, dyno tunes, ecu chipping obdo and obd1, ecu repairs, no basemaps, homemade conversion harnesses, homemade led gauge clusters, in co springs. Chips In stock ecus in stock with trade in discounts. Email
or pm
fuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 11:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

rep for fuse
Old 07-11-2009, 12:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

REP for fuse!!! so now my next question...can i reuse this p28? thanks team!
Old 07-11-2009, 12:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

looks okay to me other than that fried transistor, theyr cheap replace it and see if it works (after switching your PCS and IAT of course)
Old 07-11-2009, 12:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

lol agreed... so switch the plugs, and replace the fried transistor with that q31? thanks so much fuse and tronsteezz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in