I think I fouled my plugs - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default I think I fouled my plugs

I installed my LC-1 today, and after reading all about needing common ground for all of the components, I went a little overboard in retrospect, and grounded SG1, SG2, PG1, and PG2 on the ECU to the same good ground as everything else. It would seem the SG1 (apparently it's for MAP) needed to not be screwed with, because as soon as I tried to start the car, it started dumping in fuel by the bucket-load.

And because I suck and I r noob, I proceeded to try and try and try to start this thing, and it would start, and run super duper rich for a few seconds and die, and I would try again, thinking it was just coughing up some shit and it would clear right up in a second (what would it be coughing up? I'm an idiot). I had to stop for a while and do something else to regroup a little. Once I finally decided to try replacing SG1 a few hours later, the CEL cleared, no more puttering, no more smoke, but it also wouldn't start the hell up...

So here I am, with a fresh case of frustration, trying to figure out whats going on... My first and only idea is that the plugs might all be fouled out after I ran it so very rich those few times, but I haven't ever heard of a plug fouling out in a four-stroke engine, maybe that's just me, but I can't think of one time.

I don't have spare plugs lying around, but after I take a little break (I can't even look at that thing right now), I'm going to go pull those plugs out and have a look.

In the mean time, I am open for ideas or suggestions.
sudo chop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, I guess those plugs are just effed. I took them out and they were pretty carboned up and they smelled like they had been soaking in a big bucket of gas for a week. I let them sit out for a couple hours and put them back in, but it didn't work, I guess you can't un-foul a spark plug.

I was worried before, but I am pretty sure its just the plugs, thats the only thing that makes sense.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 24 mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!
mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to mightyjoecivic

carb cleaner :td: cleans them up and dry them out. Lets just hope you didnt wash the cylinders of their oil....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 Ford Cobra #1252 of 4993-- Bone stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tuning, the other bolt-on.

**Insert 95' 4dr civic...soon**
mightyjoecivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

yeah sounds like the plugs to me when that happend on my v8 i just took em out shot some brake cleaner in all the cylinders and let it sit over nite then i too the plugs and did a tiny bit of sanding just enough to get a shine and put em back in and first crank and vrooom started right up
spelts-face is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2009, 08:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds like a plan, I'll have to try and pick up some carb cleaner today.

Yea, I am a little concerned about washing the oil off my rings. Maybe I can drip a little oil into the cylinders to replenish it? Or will fresh oil slowly work itself back up there? idk. Its only gonna be a couple months before I build this sucker up, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 24 mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!
mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to mightyjoecivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spelts-face View Post
yeah sounds like the plugs to me when that happend on my v8 i just took em out shot some brake cleaner in all the cylinders and let it sit over nite then i too the plugs and did a tiny bit of sanding just enough to get a shine and put em back in and first crank and vrooom started right up
Please tell me you really didnt do that? I wouldnt suggest anybody do that, thats actually the worst thing you can do.

If you flooded the motor, just take all the plugs out and crank the motor over(of course pull the fuse for the ecu so you wont squirt fuel in the cylinders). That will get pretty much all of the leftover fuel out of the cylinders.

If its gonna sit for a long period of time, just spray some wd-40 or pb blaster in the cylinders...not carb cleaner.

1993 Ford Cobra #1252 of 4993-- Bone stock

Tuning, the other bolt-on.

**Insert 95' 4dr civic...soon**
mightyjoecivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series Rally Man

Rep Power: 12 Honda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by spelts-face View Post
shot some brake cleaner in all the cylinders and let it sit over nite

Holy mother of god!

My build:

Honda-Rallying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyjoecivic View Post
Please tell me you really didnt do that? I wouldnt suggest anybody do that, thats actually the worst thing you can do.

If you flooded the motor, just take all the plugs out and crank the motor over(of course pull the fuse for the ecu so you wont squirt fuel in the cylinders). That will get pretty much all of the leftover fuel out of the cylinders.

If its gonna sit for a long period of time, just spray some wd-40 or pb blaster in the cylinders...not carb cleaner.
Yea I think I'll just be using it on the plugs. I did unplug the ECU and turn it over, but it didn't help. I'm about to go out there now and pull the plugs back out and hose them down with carb cleaner... Hope it works.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just sprayed the plugs with carb cleaner, got lots of carbon off, and sanded the electrode and the ground strap just a little bit. Then I went out and tried to clear any excess fuel by unplugging the ECU again and turning it over for a while, put the plugs back in with my fingers crossed, and tried starting it. It felt like it might have fired once... and then just turn, turn, turn... So idk, I guess I'll be going to the store on Monday in hopes they carry plugs for my car (I live in Germany, its hit and miss for parts).
Old 07-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Joey Misanthropy

Rep Power: 16 Joseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudo chop View Post
I installed my LC-1 today, and after reading all about needing common ground for all of the components, I went a little overboard in retrospect, and grounded SG1, SG2, PG1, and PG2 on the ECU to the same good ground as everything else.
What ground would that be, out of curiousity? Last I knew there was only one ground.

BTW, it's not a case of fouled plugs so much as the plugs are dead. It doesn't take a whole lot to kill a set, and raw gas does it every time.

Joseph Davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 21 boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostedsohc

if you flood it out try turning it over with the gas pedal to the floor. and when it fires hold it down till it starts clearing out.
a lil trick not everyone knows.
11.2 @121mph 1.9 60ft missing 4th
1.77 is the best 60ft so far

Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
bottles are for babies.... boost gets you laid
boostedsohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedsohc View Post
if you flood it out try turning it over with the gas pedal to the floor. and when it fires hold it down till it starts clearing out.
a lil trick not everyone knows.
ECU sees this and cuts the injectors way back.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostfreak0885

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
ECU sees this and cuts the injectors way back.......
yup, in any EFI car... were not talking bout carbs now

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
boostfreak0885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Holy shit man, thanks for the tip, honestly I have been going just a little crazy, like "omfg why isn't this stuff working, why won't the car start?" Good to hear someone say that there is no resurrecting those plugs, that puts my mind at ease a bit.

About the grounding, I mean all grounded in one spot, like soldered to the same lug. All I know about it is what I've read, like since these devices (wbo2, ECU, gauge) are all reading voltage, and since ground is the reference point for voltage readings, if they all ground at different points and those points have different resistances or noise levels, then your readings on each device are going to be different and therefore inaccurate.

idk man, made sense to me so... I thought i'd go through the extra trouble of doing it.

And thanks, again.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfreak0885 View Post
yup, in any EFI car... were not talking bout carbs now
carbs work the same way though, WOT and very little vacuum single to the boosters when cranking, therefore almost no fuel dribbles in.

I flooded my DPFI 91 a few times after sitting.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #16 (permalink)

Holy shit guys, cranking at WOT worked like a charm. Granted, I unplugged my injectors and cranked it for a while first, and even that was after I had been turning it over and over and over with the ECU unplugged. That thing must have been flooded SO bad.

I bought new plugs today and put them in, and when that didn't start it, i was like wtf?! Anyway, thats awesome, I hadn't even considered that it could still be flooded after I had spent so much time turning it over with the ECU unplugged.

Now I am prettied worried about he effect of all that gas sitting in my cylinders for so long. I was thinking about dripping a little bit of oil into my cylinders to let it seep down to the rings. Anybody got a take on that idea?

Thanks so much for the help everybody!
Old 07-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Mr Mobsta Man is almost a somebodyMr Mobsta Man is almost a somebodyMr Mobsta Man is almost a somebodyMr Mobsta Man is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Mr Mobsta Man

Putting a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder will not hurt anything. You probably should have done that awhile ago though.

1997 Coupe EX: I/H/E +55 shot Dry -> R.I.P.
2000 Coupe EX: Tein Susp./Vitara/I-Beams/GT3076R/Hondata s300/E-85
2009 CBR600RR Phoenix Edition: Stock(ish)
2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4: 3" Lift/255-85R16 KM2 Mud Terrains
2011 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260: Removed Speed Limiter/Solas Prop/Thru-Hull Exhaust

I Rep Back!
Mr Mobsta Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in