Uh oh. Failed emmisions. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 uxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Default Uh oh. Failed emmisions.

So i finally went out and bought a cat. Still failed.

Um. Cruise limit for HC : 160. . i got 160. The CO% is 1.2, i got .13 (yay)

That part i passed.

This part i didn't.

Idle limit HC: 220. i got 316 =( . . Idle limit CO%: 1.2. . I got 1.36.

I messed with my map in crome but i really only did 1krpms to 3.5k and up to half throttle because i figured i'd fail around idle.

What could i do to get my HC's down and CO%? yesterday i filled up and put a bottle of iso heat in it or whatever that stuff is, and put the cat on yesterday. Took it out for a nice 26 mile drive (freeway/highway) and came home. let it sit for a little bit then took it to get it tested

The o2 sensor is plugged in and turned on in crome, should i go out and tune it to 15 afr? i think it mighta been pretty lean at cruise because it started to heat up a bit.

Any ideas?

Edit: Oh yea, the idle screw on the TB is backed out pretty far, could that have anything to do with it?

Last edited by uxaxi; 07-01-2009 at 02:25 PM.
uxaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Resident Crab

Rep Power: 50 krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews
Send a message via AIM to krychek57 Send a message via MSN to krychek57 Send a message via Yahoo to krychek57

How warm did you get the cat? and how many miles you put on it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
krychek57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE

Rep Power: 20 Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!
Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bumpysbro

ya make sure your cat is fully warmed up, if need to shoot a pyrometer on it and check the temp. Inlet vs outlet should want a 100degree change from back to front. Since your HC's are up and CO's is high your running rich. either too much gas or not enough air. best of luck :td:
Quote:
I want your whale penis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I almost had you man....you almost had me? You never had me..You never had your car LOL
Bumpysbro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 15 james25  is accepted as part of the communityjames25  is accepted as part of the communityjames25  is accepted as part of the communityjames25  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Hmm, high HC and high CO. Well to start things off, HC= Hydrocarbon and CO= Carbon Monoxide. Usually in that case you would want to diagnose the CO level first. A high level of CO is a result of a excessively rich afr. HC on the other hand is a result of incomplete combustion.

What is your idle afr at normal operating temp? you can try to lean it out a bit but not to lean to a point that your combustion temp would skyrocket and you'll fail for high NOx. Any recent tune up? plugs, wires, cap and rotor?
james25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 20 Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!
Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!

oh can you post your O2 and CO2 readings? ya james hit it right on the money, go for co first and watch out how lean you run it.
Quote:
I want your whale penis

I almost had you man....you almost had me? You never had me..You never had your car LOL
Old 07-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 uxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to alluxaxi is a name known to all

Just bought the cat 2 days ago and put it on yesterday. Its a used one and i got it from some random guy parting out his civic. He seemed like a decent guy.

Do you think because there's too much gas going in, its not igniting it all and thats why my HC's are up so high?

As for tune ups and such. Yea kinda. I have around 3k miles on the new wires/spark plugs. Super duper fuel injector cleaning at doctor injector, i thought they were bad. . Good insurance too.. I've only put maybe 20k on the cap and rotor too.

Lean out the idle? There's nothing on the test paper that says NOX, i've heard of it, but its not here. HC | CO | CO+CO2 | O2 | RPM. . Its idle was at 860 according to their computer, I myself don't believe it was. i think it was around 700. kinda rough.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpysbro View Post
oh can you post your O2 and CO2 readings? ya james hit it right on the money, go for co first and watch out how lean you run it.
O2+CO2 rating was 15.16. | O2 was 1.22.. . at idle.

Cruise it was at 13.83 | and 2.34.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

hmm id test the cat to see if its working first. if you know someone or a shop can test it. because both O2, Co are high. CO is from Carbon Combining with one Oxygen to form CO. CO2 is carbon with more then oxygen combing with it. So rich, but then you have oxygen left over. CO is only present in a rich mixture, the CAT should break the HC and CO down to CO2 and H20 or water vapor. my guess is the cat either isnt getting hot enough or the cat isnt breaking them down correctly.
Quote:
I want your whale penis

Old 07-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Speedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 40 reviews

warm the living shit out of the cat like 2 second before you pull into the shop and dont let it cool at all. drive it with high load, up hills, higher gear high throttle

also try heat wrapping the exhaust before the cat to keep the heat in and the cat working well

keep tuning aim for stoich at idle if this fails refer to this

SMOG/EMISSION inspections. Everything you need to know OBD1

240,000 miles and counting turbo EH9
nothing like 4drs, ac,moon roof, and 4 whores and running 13psi out or a ching chong t3/t4 setup
the build

if it survives the winter JdM d15b+Vitara+FJT+25psi=

professional tranny assassin, 2 stock diffs in 4 weeks on street tires and preload was used
Speedjunky01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 03:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

The cat came with a heat shield thing but i didn't put it on, do you think i should have?

thanks for that link, i think i'm too rich at idle. Also, i think my valve seals are bad and something in that link said oil contamination could cause high HC or CO?

i think they're bad because when i go down a hill and leave it in 2nd and the rpms get to like 4k then pound on the gas a puff of smoke comes out. I think those and valve guides were the only things i didn't replace when i had it all apart.

Oh and no i dont have any friends with shops or know anyone.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

ya oil thats contaminated with Fuel or just Dirty old oil can cause high emissions. leaking fuel injector can cause that
Quote:
I want your whale penis

Old 07-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

I use castrol full synthetic 5w20. Should i use something heavier? I kinda can't afford full synthetic anymore anyways = (
Old 07-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

sick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

why would you have that screw opened up on tb? should be closed.

teamdohc.org
95 civic coupe ex. Vitara-hbeam Z6
New Project Built Turbo F2B F22A nonvtec into civic
93 Accord SE 4dr black9stock)
Owner @ Grab-a-Nekbrace ENT like us on Facebook!

sick1camcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Because the idle was too low so i figured that screw would turn the idle up a bit.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

sick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

NO, do not adjust the idle with that screw. i bet you push it back in. you pass. bet

teamdohc.org
95 civic coupe ex. Vitara-hbeam Z6
New Project Built Turbo F2B F22A nonvtec into civic
93 Accord SE 4dr black9stock)
Owner @ Grab-a-Nekbrace ENT like us on Facebook!

sick1camcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

K i'll try that out i'll tighten the screw back in and check out my AFR's again and see where its at when its at idle.

Thanks guys
Old 07-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 Anonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 27 reviews

if you pull a spark plug out you should pass though your car will run like poop and sound like a subaru haha

271 WHP/ 235tq 14 psi.

other DD 1995 Toyota Tacoma 3 inch lift 33x12.5 toyo M/T tires
On my way to my AA in Diesel technology
Anonymoussquid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Uhhhh. . . Lol?
Old 07-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 15 james25  is accepted as part of the communityjames25  is accepted as part of the communityjames25  is accepted as part of the communityjames25  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymoussquid View Post
if you pull a spark plug out you should pass though your car will run like poop and sound like a subaru haha
lol that's cheating man! you would also have to take the clip off of the injector so it won't squirt fuel.

It just means you would be running on 3cyl instead of 4cyl. One cyl out=less emission
james25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

Rep Power: 24 mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!
mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to mightyjoecivic

i like the 3cyl idea. LOLOL I've heard an old wise tale of pouring in a bottle of rubbing alcohol, the 50%-70% plain kind. I dont know whether it works or not, but im sure somebody up here has tried it. hahahaha

1993 Ford Cobra #1252 of 4993-- Bone stock

Tuning, the other bolt-on.

**Insert 95' 4dr civic...soon**
mightyjoecivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in