10:1 compression and IM, will ECU tuning help? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 06:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 fireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Default 10:1 compression and IM, will ECU tuning help?

For the next phase of my build, I can mill the A6 head down some so I'll have 10:1 compression with a Z6 gasket. Other than a Z6 IM and mild porting, it will be stock, including the cam.

Would there be any gains from street tuning this setup, or will the stock ECU be able to deal with it naturally?

Last edited by fireant; 07-01-2009 at 06:52 AM.
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Resident Crab

Rep Power: 50 krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews
Send a message via AIM to krychek57 Send a message via MSN to krychek57 Send a message via Yahoo to krychek57

Street tuning may help, and just save the dyno tuning for when you get a cam.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
krychek57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 fireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to all

I need to build a budget logging/tuning setup, but it looks like the minimum is going to be around $500 to get my feet wet. I think I might be best off sharing the cost with a local.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Resident Crab

Rep Power: 50 krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to krychek57 Send a message via MSN to krychek57 Send a message via Yahoo to krychek57

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
I need to build a budget logging/tuning setup, but it looks like the minimum is going to be around $500 to get my feet wet. I think I might be best off sharing the cost with a local.
:O

How do you figure $500

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

LOL, maybe I've been looking too much at all the stuff on moates.net.....
Old 07-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Resident Crab

Quote:
LOL, maybe I've been looking too much at all the stuff on moates.net.....
Talk to me, what do you have and what are you looking at?

For example I converted to OBD1 ~$100
Then Dyno Tuning was flat rate $300

and done

Old 07-01-2009, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

What I'd REALLY like to do is set up my own OBD0 logging/tuning.

I already have the newest TurboEdit (that is supposed to handle datalogging), a laptop, a chipped PM6, and a chip burner... I figured I'd need to get a bunch of cables and a wide-band 02...but do I need a wideband controller?
Old 07-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Resident Crab

Quote:
What I'd REALLY like to do is set up my own OBD0 logging/tuning.

I already have the newest TurboEdit (that is supposed to handle datalogging), a laptop, a chipped PM6, and a chip burner... I figured I'd need to get a bunch of cables and a wide-band 02...but do I need a wideband controller?
Where there is a will there is a way. It will cost you more, be more of a headache and probably less gain.

You will need a WB Controller to read the wideband

Old 07-01-2009, 08:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 24 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 46 reviews

Original question. Will a street tune be beneficial. Fuel; if the porting and z6 manifold actually increase air flow at any rpm, the afr is going to change. you can add a little more fuel in open loop to accomplish your desired afr. but this afr is guess to what people have had success with on dyno's. Know that I think about it I haven't seen a lot of " which afr ended up making the most power on x setup on the dyno". so your shooting for a afr based on others results and feel ( with is hard to say if any on the street). but you can adjust.

timing, anything that allows more air or compression is technically going to effect timing. again on the street your going by detonation and feel. will you benefit from a street tune on your setup, probably not that much if at all. it does give you the ability to tune the fuel and timing if say your knocking. krycheck has a good point. especially if your already obd1. to just have it dyno tuned. I opted to tune everything myself, but I'm never going to make the power.

My only fear of dyno tuning is, if my setup changes of course, and IAT and startup/ect enrichment. its nice to see afr, datalog, change things, like vtec, rev limit, etc. without having to go back to the "tuner"

Last edited by guest; 07-01-2009 at 09:03 AM.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I thought I would log the AFR and try to correct it where it was too rich or lean, not based on feel.

Krycheck, I've priced OBD1 conversion harnesses, ecu, and distibutor... How did you do all that for $100?

Last edited by fireant; 07-01-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Resident Crab

Quote:
I've priced OBD1 conversion harnesses, ecu, and distibutor... How did you do all that for $100?
D-series, Friends, and Trades

It's all about networking

Old 07-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano

Quote:
I thought I would log the AFR and try to correct it where it was too rich or lean, not based on feel.

Krycheck, I've priced OBD1 conversion harnesses, ecu, and distibutor... How did you do all that for $100?

what's rich and what's lean? whats your target afr?

I hooked krycheck up. I had dam near everything to convert myself.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
what's rich and what's lean? whats your target afr?
I'm a noob...anything that's too far away from 14.7 is too rich or lean isnt it?

Is it even possible to dyno tune with OBD0 and TurboEdit?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm a noob...anything that's too far away from 14.7 is too rich or lean isnt it?

Is it even possible to dyno tune with OBD0 and TurboEdit?

yes, lower then 14.7 is rich. but what afr are you going for? even if you can datalog and have a wbo2, what's your target? what I'm getting at is that on the dyno your tuning afr for power. you can't do that on the street.

y can't you dyno tune on obd0? you don't tune with the dyno per say. a dyno just tell you power output.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
yes, lower then 14.7 is rich. but what afr are you going for? even if you can datalog and have a wbo2, what's your target? what I'm getting at is that on the dyno your tuning afr for power. you can't do that on the street.
So on the street you can only really fix problematic areas, but getting 14.7 everywhere doesnt necessarily mean the most power...right?

Quote:
y can't you dyno tune on obd0? you don't tune with the dyno per say. a dyno just tell you power output.
Go to a dyno and use their wideband, and making adjustments via TurboaEdit and some kind of real-time editor would be a better route then?

Thanks for all the clear and helpful info btw. Contrary to widespread claims, pgmfi.org doesn't really explain these fundamental things all that well...I've gotten more out of this thread today than the many nights I've spent reading at pgmfi.

Last edited by fireant; 07-01-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

yes, u can tune the whole map. yes, 14.7 is ether the most efficient or makes the most power. you can tune to whatever afr u want on the street. I'm just saying that its possible to make the most power from a wide range of afr. you don't know. A thread should be started asking the question, for those that have dyno tuned there car what afr made the most power. ???? This is all theory as I've never dyno tuned a car.

I wouldn't want to tune it myself on someone elses dyno as I have no experience, but yeah I don't see why someone couldn't do a tune for you on TE. the software is capable of tuning fuel and timing. I'm sure its a time and experience thing with obd1. and they probably have tunes from other cars that they can use as a starting point to get it done faster and easier.

Quote:
Thanks for all the clear and helpful info btw. Contrary to widespread claims, pgmfi.org doesn't really explain these fundamental things all that well...I've gotten more out of this thread today than the many nights I've spent reading at pgmfi.

start reading books. that's where all the good info is at.

Last edited by guest; 07-01-2009 at 12:44 PM.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Resident Crab

My afr is 12.5

Old 07-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krychek57 View Post
My afr is 12.5
interesting. and that's the afr that made the most power or because it was conservative (anti-knock)? cause all the info I've seen 12.5 is what your shooting for on a boost app. but i think it has to do with adding a little fuel for saftey??
Old 07-01-2009, 04:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Krycheck, if you dont mind me asking, how many HP did that $400 get you?
Old 07-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

Quote:
lol, there are deals out there. ive bought 2 chipped obd1 ecus for $40-$50 in the last year, 4 ecu jumpers in the $35 range, and non-vtec dizzys for $30-$40

just be patient and ALWAYS be ready to buy when the opportunity arises

Quote:
interesting. and that's the afr that made the most power or because it was conservative (anti-knock)? cause all the info I've seen 12.5 is what your shooting for on a boost app. but i think it has to do with adding a little fuel for saftey??
probably an attempt to avoid detonation. hes in the low 10s as far as compression, and is running 89 octane.

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in