d16y8+p28 ecu throwing code 9 (No.1 cylinder position sensor) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default d16y8+y7 dizzy+p28 ecu throwing code 9 (No.1 cylinder position sensor)

just got done putting a d16y8 in my 91 civic wagon and the car will bog only when you floor it other wise drives fine. code 9 which is No.1 cylinder position sensor. seems to be running lean.
p28 ecu obd0 to 1 jumper harness.
using a y7 dizzy spliced to obd1 then a conversion harness from obd1 to obd0.
also using stock a6 injectors with stock resistor box.
any advice appreciated

Last edited by y8wagon; 06-16-2009 at 08:24 PM.
y8wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

slowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slowturbocx

Your timing is off. Did you put a timing belt on recently?
Old 06-16-2009, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

i followed the instructions in the manual. spun the engine over six times like it said and checked it and it looked good to go

Old 06-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

slowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcano

re-do it. report back
Old 06-17-2009, 03:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 SOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SOHCpower

check that the cylinder pos sensor + and - wires are not reversed i had the same thing happen as well. i switched them and it ran fine afterwards.
SOHCpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

that could be it too.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 meccael is obviously a regularmeccael is obviously a regularmeccael is obviously a regularmeccael is obviously a regularmeccael is obviously a regularmeccael is obviously a regularmeccael is obviously a regularmeccael is obviously a regular
Send a message via AIM to meccael Send a message via MSN to meccael

How did you set the timing? DO NOT, use the crank timing marks. Pull the number one plug, use a long screwdriver or wooden dowel and set at tdc, align the cams timing marks, install the timing belt COUNTER clockwise, adjust tensioner, hand crank the engine to make sure there's no valve contact, and start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
meccael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 SOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by meccael View Post
How did you set the timing? DO NOT, use the crank timing marks. Pull the number one plug, use a long screwdriver or wooden dowel and set at tdc, align the cams timing marks, install the timing belt COUNTER clockwise, adjust tensioner, hand crank the engine to make sure there's no valve contact, and start.
explain? hes talking about ignition timing anyway. though could be affected by cam timing but still.. why not use the crank timing marks? the tdc mark is to set the bottom end to TDC more accurate than a screw driver in the plug hole... why design a feature and not use it? the crank pulley tdc does nothing more than help you set the bottom end to tdc. has nothing to do with the cam or timing belt. the belt will affect timing if its too long or too short. cam gear will affect weather its offset or not compared to the cam and if the cam was installed incorrectly. bottom end will always be tdc when aligned with the timing mark. what changes is if a different cam gear is used or belt jumps thats out of wack but piston cant slide on its own to offset the timing.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

The consensus is, your cam gear should match your ecu. If you are using the y8 engine(head and cam gear) you might want to switch to an obd1 cam gear. Then you could set your timing to the proper marks on crank.(should solve your bogging issue)

The ECU code might have something to do with the dizzy/wiring.
97-Civic-Ex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 01:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

cam gear matches the cam/head block combo, ECU could care less.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 04:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all

That is what I always thought too, and mechanically that makes sense to me. However, in doing my research for going from OBD2 to OBD1 on my Y8, the majority of the people report that timing of the Y8 on an OBD1 ECU is not jus a simple offset number. I may be wrong sincei haven't done it yet, but I will be converting my set up in the future so we'll see.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-Civic-Ex View Post
That is what I always thought too, and mechanically that makes sense to me. However, in doing my research for going from OBD2 to OBD1 on my Y8, the majority of the people report that timing of the Y8 on an OBD1 ECU is not jus a simple offset number. I may be wrong sincei haven't done it yet, but I will be converting my set up in the future so we'll see.
y8 on obd1 p28 stock map is off a little. if your using a y8 with obd1 ecu get obd1 ecu chipped with y8 basemap or tune it.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHCpower View Post
y8 on obd1 p28 stock map is off a little. if your using a y8 with obd1 ecu get obd1 ecu chipped with y8 basemap or tune it.
Like I said, from research I noticed others have had a hard time with timing a y8 when going OBD1. Your statement of "P28 stock map is off a little" can be misleading. Unless you have more experience with it than these guys:

Turbo D16 • View topic - Has anyone figured out timing on the Y8

Since I haven't done it yet, I can't comment. However, from what the OP posted, it sounds like his timing is off and it could be because of what the above link-people have mentioned.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 sql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 31 reviews

What do you mean by having a hard time? It sounds like people are having a hard time understanding the different values used to to time a Z6 vs a Y8. Or are they having detonation problems? My stroked and 78mm bored Y8 runs with a Y8 head and chipped P28 using Hondata S300. I have no timing issues.

sql_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sql_civic View Post
It sounds like people are having a hard time understanding the different values used to to time a Z6 vs a Y8.
That is what I mean.
So let me rephrase what I stated:

Quote:
The consensus is, your cam gear should match your ecu. (FOR SIMPLICITY)

i.e. If you are using the y8 engine(head and cam gear) you might want to switch to an obd1 cam gear.

Then you could set your timing to the proper marks on crank...

Quote:
Like I said, from research I noticed others have had a hard time UNDERSTANDING timing on a y8 when going OBD1...
Myself included, so I'll just keep it simple.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #16 (permalink)

thanks you for all the comments i'm working on it today and i'll let you know if an obd1 cam gear will work.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

switched to z6 cam gear and made sure the timing was right before and after. still throwing code 9 with new cam gear. went over dizzy conversion harness and good to go. next i'm switching to z6 dizzy and then check ecu conversion harness.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

dizzy wiring was wrong. runs better but still sluggish. only way to get any + timing is to advance dizzy all the way.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8wagon View Post
dizzy wiring was wrong. runs better but still sluggish. only way to get any + timing is to advance dizzy all the way.
or adjust your timing map for you ecu . its what we did on a friends integra but thats just us.

98 EX EJ - never ending project
boosted @ 10psi

Quote:
don't forget about poor little Mr. Map sensor......
98exej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

i have the same issue. I get code 9 after 6k+ rpm on third gear. Could the alternator cause this issue?

|
|
|

viskii420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in