Extreme confusion with d16y8 ecu - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Extreme confusion with d16y8 ecu

today i went to the scrappy and found myself a d16y8, which i needed the cam shaft, rocker assembly and ecu. all was going well until i looked at the ecu code and it said p2e :S rather than p2p. i looked up and the car is automatic. the rocker assembly has ex stamped on it and the engine bay is definately stamped d16y8.

if i was to get hold of a p2p ecu am i going to get vtec? the ecu code is as follows 37820-p2e-g01-906-105870. i also thought that the 0 in g01 meant it was a manual :s so i am extremely confused
liljimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

p2p is what my auto ecu was tagged as . just checked and my 5sp ecu is p2p
a81 what year is the car that may have something to do with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

98 EX EJ - never ending project
boosted @ 10psi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
don't forget about poor little Mr. Map sensor......
98exej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 sql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 31 reviews

I don't know where you're getting that ECu code from. Usually it's on a label on the side of the ECU with a bar code and would simply say: 37820-P2E-A01.

Variations in the last 3 digits, A01 in my example, would tell you whether it was an auto or manual but I can't tell you what those values would be.

However, a P2E ECU runs the D16Y7 non-VTEC engine and the P2P runs the VTEC D16Y8 engine.

sql_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 11:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

possible the owner swap the y8 in with no y8 ecu?

Great Seller:
civic4ges
spdracer22
gaowee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2009, 12:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
d-series Member

hatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

or a y7 head maybe
Old 06-07-2009, 12:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

this is why i was so cofused, also the vtec solenoid was missing aswel :S i thought someone may have salvaged it before me. yer it said p2e-g01 which would suggest its not an auto ecu aswel :S the head code was still p2j-2 so do you think that the rockers and cam are still vtec parts and all i will require is the p2p ecu? im swapping it too my d15z6 u see
Old 06-07-2009, 03:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 DocHudson smells like BoratDocHudson smells like BoratDocHudson smells like BoratDocHudson smells like BoratDocHudson smells like Borat

Maybe someone got there ahead of you and bought the P2P ecu, the yard guys put a P2E ecu hoping a bulk sale can still be made but what do I know? (call me Mr Paranoia lol ; but they happen)

Missing vtec solenoid is enough to indicate someone got there first.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

possibly lol so back to the issue, is there a way of knowing whether the rocker assembly and camshaft are from the d16y8? like i said the rockers have ex stamped on them. because if this is right then i will need is a p2p correct?
Old 06-07-2009, 05:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

also i forgot to ask, will there be a problem swapping these parts from an automatic to manual? as the headcode for the car i took from was p2j-2 which is the auto. as i said before im swapping them into my d15z6
Old 06-08-2009, 03:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
d-series Member

hatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

um isnt p2j the d16y5(hx) designation? sounds like an y5 head on a y8 block with a y7 ecu... messy

automatic stuff doesnt affect the head other than the iacv.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

no the y8 is p2j according to my research, the rockers n cam is compatable with my head. i should be ok then, coz thats nothing to do with the iacv, does it?lol anybody have a spare p2p laying about?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 DocHudson smells like BoratDocHudson smells like BoratDocHudson smells like BoratDocHudson smells like BoratDocHudson smells like Borat

My engine's a hybrid of:
Y5 block - P2E - same as a Y8
Y5 head - P2J - same as a Y8
jdm D15B rocker arm assy - P08 - same as Z6

Best way to find out is to check for LMAs in the head.
If you see them then it's good - you have a Y8 and the cam will definitely have to be a 20-lober LOL!

matic? manual? it doesn't matter except for the iacv like what hatchnthoughts said.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

yer ive taken it all apart and cleaned it and there are LMA's,just need to checktheir tolerances. do u know anyone on here who may have a p2p ecu i can buy? or do i need the min posts for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in