Another overheating issue on a D - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Another overheating issue on a D

ok my 99 sedan is making me pull my hair out. i noticed my car first overheating on i-95 down to miami. above 40-50 the car then started to over heat. go below 40-50 the temp needle would fall. and it was at this time i noticed the rad fan was constantly on.

first diagnosis: temp sensor!

wrong. i changed the temp sensor under the dis and all that did was give me a more reliable "your engine is about to boom" reading. same issues with speed vs coolant... rad fan still on

second diagnosis: thermostat

nope still over heating. and the fan i noticed was rigged to stay on by using a vamp tap to bridge the two wires witch in tern would constantly keep the fan on. removed, and now the fan wont kick on... wtf please help
eK4Damager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

can honda fans be ran backwards if you switch the power and ground? some can some cant may be your issue

Quote:
The problem is, my need for speed exceeds the need to save the earth.
Quote:
WELL FINE! I'LL JUST GO EAT THE SHIT OUTTA MY OREO'S THEN!
cmgreen50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

Did you guys know that odd numbered interstates like i-5 all travel north and south, and all even numbers like i-10 travel east and west?
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

i did not know that... very interesting.

ok, just took it down to the gas station. and now, even with the fan set to be constantly on, the temp gauge went up about as fast as the spedometer did. what the hell? although i did check the rad hoses, and the one coming from the head was nice and hot, the lower hose was pretty cool... does that mean its clogged?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 Aaron254-214 is learning the way of the DAaron254-214 is learning the way of the D

thermostat might be bad
Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 vsm_ej6 is learning the way of the Dvsm_ej6 is learning the way of the D
Send a message via AIM to vsm_ej6

what is your antifreeze mix? i have known people that ran the wrong mix and have had similar problems, all has to do with how it heats up.
vsm_ej6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

okay as stated in my first post in this thread, i put a NEW therostat in and my lower rad hose is cold when the upper on is hot. is it safe to assume there a clog?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eK4Damager View Post
okay as stated in my first post in this thread, i put a NEW therostat in and my lower rad hose is cold when the upper on is hot. is it safe to assume there a clog?
pull the lower one off and see if any hot water comes out.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 01:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 15 immajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagle

you need one of this
immajackuup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

okay i pulled off the lower hose. fluid didn't come dumping out like i was expecting but i did lose a about a quart or two. the fluid that came out was nice and cool. not piping hot like the top hose. could this have something to do with the new thermostat not opening? im even pretty car savvy and im stumped... i've never encountered this issue before... what could be the deal from here?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 vsm_ej6 is learning the way of the Dvsm_ej6 is learning the way of the D
Send a message via AIM to vsm_ej6

if the top hose is piping hot, then the thermostat is working, its letting the coolant past it, the lower, not being warm should be typical because the radiator removes the heat from the coolant. I DO NOT know if its supposed to be as cool as yours is coming out of the lower radiator hose, i have never looked into that... so at that rate i would assume you have a blockage in the upper parts of your radiator. maybe low on coolant as well...
vsm_ej6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 Anonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 27 reviews

air bubble in the system?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

271 WHP/ 235tq 14 psi.

other DD 1995 Toyota Tacoma 3 inch lift 33x12.5 toyo M/T tires
On my way to my AA in Diesel technology
Anonymoussquid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

okay, im planning to pull the rad out and give it a thorough flushing. hopefuly that should ease the problem... i've noticed the overheating to be intermittant before i got into it so that leads me further to believe that it maybe a clog, and now its moved somewhere that its further restricing flow... that, and the whole time, my temp gauge has been pinned(ish) and it will drop, and then go back up and drop somemore. so at the reccomendation of everyone else... clog?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by eK4Damager View Post
okay as stated in my first post in this thread, i put a NEW therostat in
DOESN'T MATTER. I got like 3 bad auto-zone t-stats in a row. Just b/c it's new doesn't mean it's worth a shit.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

who goes to autozone? advance all the way! and an interesting tidbit of info, i actually found an advance that not only gives me a 20% discount (because im a nice guy apperantly) but the guys there also know how to help troubleshoot with me... im amazed with this particular advance. (and the one 2mi down the road employ "kno-nothings")

anyway...

alright, flushed out the rad and notice while i was replacing the coolant that my thermostat was pissing a light mist of greenstuff. so back to removing the stat. realized the gromet still had some rtv sealant from the last genious who replaced it.(it was getting dark yesterday, i didn't notice it the first time.) and i also notice that the orientation of the stat/gromet was important too. fixed that.
now im back the before. overheating at crusing speeds. cool as ice at a stop.
i noticed alot of corrosion on the stat housing and the sensor thats attached (what is it? btw) can come apart three ways... i don't think thats right.
what the hell is that sensor called? maybe, somehow, that can coax out the gremlins?

Last edited by eK4Damager; 06-04-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:05 AM   #16 (permalink)

Rep Power: 15 immajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagle

rtv sealant will clog your thermostat because i seen it happen on cars that i work on before.

plus you can test your thermostat by putting it in hot water or light that bitch on fiya to see it open.

also don't forget seat the thermostat nipple at the right spot.
immajackuup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 03:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 craze8 is learning the way of the Dcraze8 is learning the way of the D
Send a message via AIM to craze8

Good at idle, bad at cruise/load. Pressure test the rad cap, if its good and you have a known good tstat in car (as someone else said just because its new dosent mean its good.) Your headgasket has gone pffft.

- Come hang out with our locals and see where we will be
93 Si Z6 w/ Boost -The Happy Meal lives!
99 Passat Wagen- The unexpected DD/Toy
89 Ford Probe GT- Yep its turbo.
craze8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 04:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
d-series Member

hatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

^im with this guy. lol could be as simple as your radiator cap is shot.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #19 (permalink)

Is your fan still on the whole time you are at cruising speed? I have seen people wire in switches so they can turn the fans on anytime they want and forget to turn it off while cruising. This can cause the car to run hot because you won't get enough air through the rad as the fan becomes a restriction.
Nick1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 sql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 31 reviews

I think your radiator is clogged. Based on all the other f'dup shit you're finding in your car, I'm wondering if the previous owner used hard tap water to mix with the coolant causing mineral deposits to collect over time throughout your cooling system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervan View Post
Did you guys know that odd numbered interstates like i-5 all travel north and south, and all even numbers like i-10 travel east and west?
Did you know that I-95 travels East-West in CT?

sql_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in