D16y8 Redline Issue - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 bibby smells like Boratbibby smells like Boratbibby smells like Boratbibby smells like Boratbibby smells like Boratbibby smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Default D16y8 Redline Issue

OK, i have a d16y8 in my eg sedan. The motor in it before was a d15b. It red lined at 6500. My y8 supposedly has a red line of 7200, but when im driving, it red lines at 6500. Is my tach off? Do i need to have it tuned? Raise it in the ecu? The ecu i'm running is the factory one from the d15b. What is the deal? My vtec kicks in at 5600, then in like 1second i'm at 6500, and its time to shift. the extra 700rpm's isn't much, but its something. Help me out here.
bibby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibby View Post
OK, i have a d16y8 in my eg sedan. The motor in it before was a d15b. It red lined at 6500. My y8 supposedly has a red line of 7200, but when im driving, it red lines at 6500. Is my tach off? Do i need to have it tuned? Raise it in the ecu? The ecu i'm running is the factory one from the d15b. What is the deal? My vtec kicks in at 5600, then in like 1second i'm at 6500, and its time to shift. the extra 700rpm's isn't much, but its something. Help me out here.

Quote:
The problem is, my need for speed exceeds the need to save the earth.
Quote:
WELL FINE! I'LL JUST GO EAT THE SHIT OUTTA MY OREO'S THEN!
cmgreen50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
noob

z6civicex It's a JDM Star Bitches....z6civicex It's a JDM Star Bitches....z6civicex It's a JDM Star Bitches....z6civicex It's a JDM Star Bitches....z6civicex It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 31 reviews

ya i would get a ecu chipped and run a y8 map.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
z6civicex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Did you change the ECU? If you don't thas the reason.

EduardoGTR
EduardoGTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 bibby smells like Boratbibby smells like Boratbibby smells like Boratbibby smells like Boratbibby smells like Boratbibby smells like Borat

What ecu would I change it to? I got the one for the engine, but it won't plug into my harness.

I can just have a y8 map pit in my ecu? How do Ito about doing that?
Old 05-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
noob

z6civicex It's a JDM Star Bitches....z6civicex It's a JDM Star Bitches....z6civicex It's a JDM Star Bitches....z6civicex It's a JDM Star Bitches....z6civicex It's a JDM Star Bitches....

just find someone to chip the ecu you have now, and put the d16y8 map on it. Ya the stock y8 ecu is obd2 and will not plug into a obd1 harness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

OK, so i can order the chipping kit with the d16y8 basemap. Gonna run about 30bucks. Then once i chip it and install it, will i need to have it tuned, or will it be good to go?

This here, then follow the DIY.
http://www.xenocron.com/catalog/chip...cus-p-277.html

Last edited by bibby; 05-28-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 SOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SOHCpower

Quote:
OK, so i can order the chipping kit with the d16y8 basemap. Gonna run about 30bucks. Then once i chip it and install it, will i need to have it tuned, or will it be good to go?

This here, then follow the DIY.
Xenocron Tuning: Chipping Kit w/ SST Chip (OBD1 ECUs) USDM Kit & JDM Kit #OBD1-SST
not really if everything is stock. but ive found out that those basemaps for y8s suck compared to the actual p2p ecu.
SOHCpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 04:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 13 mondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mondo9psi

yahh its not going to change if the computer doesnt tell it to. chip it, get a stock y8 map put on, and you will have your 7200 rpm! while there put in launch control, it helps if u go to the track
Old 05-29-2009, 05:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

you also can get from Rywire - Online Store the conversion harness to install OBDII ECU in the OBDI wireharness.
EduardoGTR
EduardoGTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 07:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

So its cheaper, and i can definatly do the ecu chipping. That seams like the way to go unless the basemap i get from xenocron is no good. Plus my ecu will be chipped for further mods. I think im gonna go that way.

Can anybody else confirm that the xenocron basemap i can get with the chipping kit is no good?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
noob

do you know of anyone that can chip your ecu? b/c its not a very easy task. Might be a good idea to send it to xenocron and have them do it.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 sql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow up

I ran my Y8 on a S300 with a Y8 basemap and it didn't suck.

I used that same basemap to street tune my D18 and that didn't suck but I didn't push it.

It's a good idea to just send your ECU to Chris at Xenocron and tell him what you're trying to do. I'm sure he could provide a decent basemap.

sql_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 06:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 ghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

what ecu is in there now?
ghettoturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by z6civicex View Post
do you know of anyone that can chip your ecu? b/c its not a very easy task. Might be a good idea to send it to xenocron and have them do it.
I read the DIY and looked at all the pics. I dont understand what is so hard about it. If you can solder then thats all there is to it. Now if you cant solder then i could see the problem.

PS: I manage a RadioShack, so I'm pretty familier with soldering and small electronic work. This will be cake for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sql_civic View Post
I ran my Y8 on a S300 with a Y8 basemap and it didn't suck.

I used that same basemap to street tune my D18 and that didn't suck but I didn't push it.

It's a good idea to just send your ECU to Chris at Xenocron and tell him what you're trying to do. I'm sure he could provide a decent basemap.
The chipping kit im going to order from xenocron, i can pay an extra 14$ to get a y8 basemap installed. Thats the route im going to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoturbo View Post
what ecu is in there now?
The one that came in the car for the d15b. I'm gonna chip it and install the y8 basemap.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
noob

then i say go for it

Old 05-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

It's probably because your T-stat is stuck open or you have an incorect T-stat installed. There is a lower rev limit (NOT the same thing as a red line) when the ECU doesn't "see" the engine as fully warm.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 ghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:

The one that came in the car for the d15b. I'm gonna chip it and install the y8 basemap.

whats the code on the side....not all ecus are chippable
ghettoturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Oh. I'll look when i get home today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in