Total timing ??? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
formerly Kit88

Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 76 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Hugo Boost
Default Total timing ???

What does this term means ???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to my sponsors:

FJ Distributors, Special Project Motorsports (Kiwi) ,Performance Porting,Transzex, Alexracing, RSM motorsports, Go-Autoworks, D-series.org, SpeedFactory, Bisimoto
Hugo Boost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 13 mondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mondo9psi

never heard of it! have heard of mechanical and ignition
Old 05-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
d-series Member

hatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

perhaps timing between dizzy and cam timing combined? damnit i think im getting dumber as i get older, i know i knew this at some point.

Last edited by hatchnthoughts; 05-27-2009 at 09:31 PM.
hatchnthoughts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE

Rep Power: 20 Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!
Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bumpysbro

What is Initial Timing and Total Timing?
Initial timing is that setting you make while your engine is idling with a timing light. This is typically between 4 ATDC (After Top Dead Center) to 16 BTDC (Before Top Dead Center). For performance applications "in most cases" you want as much initial timing as the starter can handle (the more timing the more cylinder pressure that the starter must overcome to crank the engine). Too much initial timing, besides the starter load, can also run the HC (Hydrocarbon) emission levels beyond legal or breathable levels <hint to the smog machine as a tuning tool above>.

Total timing is the calculation of the combined initial and mechanical advance timing settings (max). This "can" also include your vacuum advance though, I like to describe it as "total timing plus vacuum advance". Since vacuum advance is a nearly inconsistent value I like to use it after I have set up the correct mechanical values in the distributor. At times I must use the vacuum advance to generate the timing values I require, but I try to only use it as an "economy" tool to give a street driven vehicle more efficiency and throttle response by this addition.
Quote:
I want your whale penis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I almost had you man....you almost had me? You never had me..You never had your car LOL
Bumpysbro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

I went round and round about this with Blundar....

OLD school was the base timing of the dist, plus how much advance the weights brought in inside the dist.

NEW school on Honda, the timing maps are based on having the dizzy set to a known base setting (16 BTDC) and then the maps read directly.

or it might be base + map......so much info in Blundells head, hard to decipher at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 06:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
formerly Kit88

Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....

Im asking this question, cause I saw here and others forums, people asking for total timing for tunning issues.

I belive this is about timing degrees at WOT but not shure.

Thanks to my sponsors:

FJ Distributors, Special Project Motorsports (Kiwi) ,Performance Porting,Transzex, Alexracing, RSM motorsports, Go-Autoworks, D-series.org, SpeedFactory, Bisimoto
Old 05-28-2009, 06:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
formerly Kit88

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
I went round and round about this with Blundar....

OLD school was the base timing of the dist, plus how much advance the weights brought in inside the dist.

NEW school on Honda, the timing maps are based on having the dizzy set to a known base setting (16 BTDC) and then the maps read directly.

or it might be base + map......so much info in Blundells head, hard to decipher at times.
Yes Sir, I also understand base + map, but maybe the map include the base timing ???

Thanks to my sponsors:

Old 05-28-2009, 06:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Black Dynamite

Rep Power: 23 Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Clutchmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit88 View Post
Yes Sir, I also understand base + map, but maybe the map include the base timing ???
I think maps include base. or at least that's my opinion anyways
Clutchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

The maps usually include base ignition timing as it gets confusing to determine your ignition timing if you constantly have to add base timing. This is why it's important to set correct base ignition timing because the ECU assumes it's set to a certain value.

I don't think there's an official definition of "total timing". Generally when I see a reference to this term people are inferring to max ignition timing in the upper RPMs on a WOT pull.
N54E90XI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 07:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
formerly Kit88

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54E90XI View Post
The maps usually include base ignition timing as it gets confusing to determine your ignition timing if you constantly have to add base timing. This is why it's important to set correct base ignition timing because the ECU assumes it's set to a certain value.

I don't think there's an official definition of "total timing". Generally when I see a reference to this term people are inferring to max ignition timing in the upper RPMs on a WOT pull.
Thanks !!!

Thanks to my sponsors:

Old 05-28-2009, 10:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 11 fuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Its a old school thing on my 383 Chevy is set base the messed with weights and springs to set total. I ditched my vac advance. Some of the old school hot roders even lock timing (dont ask).

Magnetos, points and condensers, dwell. I like crome. The only Hondas that you have to worry about is like the old d16a1s in the first gen tegs thy had base total and a vac advance. Not that I have set or have seen any one set any of that stuff up on them.
Neptune dealer, Crome dealer, turbo edit, bre, nistune, street tunes, dyno tunes, ecu chipping obdo and obd1, ecu repairs, no basemaps, homemade conversion harnesses, homemade led gauge clusters, in co springs. Chips In stock ecus in stock with trade in discounts. Email
or pm
fuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 19 crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to crazymx6

total timing from what i understand is....

ok so you have 16btdc to start with

then your tuning for say 10psi -1* per psi so that would be -10 off of -16 making 6*

which is your total timing.....basically the # at the top of you map at red line with full boost......

hope that makes sense....

Last edited by crazymx6; 05-28-2009 at 02:24 PM.
crazymx6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

[QUOTE=fuse;1665315]Its a old school thing on my 383 Chevy is set base the messed with weights and springs to set total. I ditched my vac advance. Some of the old school hot roders even lock timing (dont ask).

QUOTE]

i have had several people tell me to do that....no? im not a circle track racer whos always at wot its a street engine....

Quote:
The problem is, my need for speed exceeds the need to save the earth.
Quote:
WELL FINE! I'LL JUST GO EAT THE SHIT OUTTA MY OREO'S THEN!
cmgreen50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 11 fuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regularfuse is obviously a regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgreen50 View Post
i have had several people tell me to do that....no? im not a circle track racer whos always at wot its a street engine....
What ditch the vac or lock the timing? I ditched the vac because I was dumb at the time. Its good to run more timing at cruise then compared to wot. Locking the timing sounds strange to me and makes starting the car a bitch. You are basically runing pre ignition till about 3500 rpms bad for low end. I think people just do it for the easy way out less stuff to brake no springs no weights no vac advance. It works ok for drag and off road cars but not so much on the street.

Still it’s a old school thing even the v8s have moved into the tuning world.
Neptune dealer, Crome dealer, turbo edit, bre, nistune, street tunes, dyno tunes, ecu chipping obdo and obd1, ecu repairs, no basemaps, homemade conversion harnesses, homemade led gauge clusters, in co springs. Chips In stock ecus in stock with trade in discounts. Email
or pm
Old 05-28-2009, 02:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymx6 View Post
total timing from what i understand is....

ok so you have 16btdc to start with

then your tuning for say 10psi -1* per psi so that would be -10 off of -16 making -26*

which is your total timing.....basically the # at the top of you map at red line with full boost......

hope that makes sense....
? 16 btdc -10 degrees total is 6 you only get into negative atdc.
or pm
Old 05-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Rep Power: 19 crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to crazymx6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post
? 16 btdc -10 degrees total is 6 you only get into negative atdc.
ur right........my bad

crazymx6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 07:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
formerly Kit88

this is a d16z6 oem base map:

As you can see, the value on the low rigth corner is 28.25 degrees

So Im thinking that this is the total timing, so if I ran 10 psi of boost at 1 degree retarded per psi of boost , my total timing is gonna be 18.25

Im rigth ???

Thanks to my sponsors:

Last edited by Hugo Boost; 05-29-2009 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post
What ditch the vac or lock the timing? I ditched the vac because I was dumb at the time. Its good to run more timing at cruise then compared to wot. Locking the timing sounds strange to me and makes starting the car a bitch. You are basically runing pre ignition till about 3500 rpms bad for low end. I think people just do it for the easy way out less stuff to brake no springs no weights no vac advance. It works ok for drag and off road cars but not so much on the street.

Still its a old school thing even the v8s have moved into the tuning world.
How you like a certain 10 second D15 powered CRX was set up?

Locked timing with a retard chip below 4000 rpm for easy starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 05:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
formerly Kit88

Quote:
this is a d16z6 oem base map:

As you can see, the value on the low rigth corner is 28.25 degrees

So Im thinking that this is the total timing, so if I ran 10 psi of boost at 1 degree retarded per psi of boost , my total timing is gonna be 18.25

Im rigth ???

Bump for a response

Thanks to my sponsors:

Old 05-29-2009, 06:30 AM   #20 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Bump for a response
Hondata has 30.25* vs Chrome's 28.25* for the stock p28 map. Make's me wonder how they came up with these "stock" maps.

You're correct assuming your base timing is correct.
N54E90XI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in