What should i set ign. timing after 272 regrind? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default What should i set ign. timing after 272 regrind?

Should i be running any different ignition timing with the 272 cam, other then stock specs? Ecu isnt chipped this is just moving distributor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lukefsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostfreak0885

run it at tdc. only your tuner will know..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
boostfreak0885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Stock.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfreak0885 View Post
run it at tdc. only your tuner will know..
if he sets his IGNITION timing at TDC, I doubt the car will even run being 16 degrees out of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

thanks for the replys.
Ill keep it at stock 16deg.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
if he sets his IGNITION timing at TDC, I doubt the car will even run being 16 degrees out of time.

but being he is putting a new cam in, which requires taking off the cam gear, thats why i said run it at TDC. set the dizzy in the center, put a timing light on it to make sure its at 16degrees, once warmed up...

dont you have to set mechanical timing at tdc before even worrying about ignition timing.????

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
Old 05-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Last edited by Lukefsi; 05-10-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 97midorihatch is a name known to all97midorihatch is a name known to all97midorihatch is a name known to all97midorihatch is a name known to all97midorihatch is a name known to all97midorihatch is a name known to all97midorihatch is a name known to all97midorihatch is a name known to all97midorihatch is a name known to all97midorihatch is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfreak0885 View Post
but being he is putting a new cam in, which requires taking off the cam gear, thats why i said run it at TDC. set the dizzy in the center, put a timing light on it to make sure its at 16degrees, once warmed up...

dont you have to set mechanical timing at tdc before even worrying about ignition timing.????
but he asked about ign timing not cam timing

theres no charge for awesomeness

97midorihatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

^ um i know that, but without having it set to tdc, rotating the dizzy wont advance or retard the ignition timing enough to be at stock specs., so having it at TDC is important. and thats what i was getting it.

and without having a chipped ecu, your new cam upgrade is almost pointless until you get tuned.

best time so far

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
Old 05-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

why would you install a cam at anything other than TDC?????

You are confused and confusing the thread.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

Hey Pata, you wanna share?

Always have cam timing at TDC when installing a cam. That's your "control" so to speak.
On top of that you have a special knowledge, an understanding of the complexity of the things happening. Others see you turn the wheel and push down on the gas, not you. You see a symphony of combustion and physics. You see a balance between frictional coefficients, tire roll over, spring rates, and throttle. It's a beautiful thing to see all these components working in harmony, it's literally a ballet of force and mathematics!
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 shadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

How are you gonna run that without engine management?
IMO you should get a chiped ecu if possible and a tune. Changing the cam to that big one effects alot of different shit.

On a side note my tuner and I put my 257-272 in the other night and it was a bitch to get timed. I am going to have to make a special bracket for the distributor bolts cause the existing one doesn't go far back enough to stay in the tune.

D16a6
Bullseye .50 .55a/r
21psi on 90octane(Meth fed)
My Completed Sol Build(not so completed anymore):

Song of the Week: MC Rise- This is Life

Last edited by shadhman; 05-10-2009 at 11:38 PM.
shadhman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 12:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadhman View Post
How are you gonna run that without engine management?
IMO you should get a chiped ecu if possible and a tune. Changing the cam to that big one effects alot of different shit.

On a side note my tuner and I put my 257-272 in the other night and it was a bitch to get timed. I am going to have to make a special bracket for the distributor bolts cause the existing one doesn't go far back enough to stay in the tune.
you are doing it wrong

Wanna check your cam timing????? Set Ignition timing to 16 BTDC @ 800 or less rpms before pulling the cam. Install new cam and and check ignition timing. IF it changed, you are either 1+ teeth off or have a different core than you sent in for grinding.

Quote:
Old 05-11-2009, 05:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Plenty of 272 cams have been dropped in without "tuning." The gains won't be as great, but it will make a noticable differnce.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 05:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
why would you install a cam at anything other than TDC?????

You are confused and confusing the thread.

im not confused or confusing the thread.. the op hasnt even installed the cam yet, and having the cam at tdc after the install is very important. and a timing light will also help you greatly.

my comp 59500 cam is at stock specs...

best time so far

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

i noticed a big diference in the preformance of this y7 after the 272. Its not like i gain huge hp from it but it more shifted the power range. With the old cam the y7 has excelent low end torque but drastically dyes out above 4700 rpms. With the 272 it feels like a smoother preformance and peeks power at redline. It was defenitly money well spent. I will be tunning this car eventually but i have other things to spend my money on atm. Btw its a y7 in my 90 ed7. I think i need to uprade my exaust system now but i hate to make it any lowder then stock.

Last edited by Lukefsi; 05-11-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

According to my timing light, stock timing was exactly where it was after cam install in relation to distributor position. I just marked where i had the distributor before hand.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

So i was digging threw my pile of ecu's and came across this Pg7 ecu from an 88 teg. Would this be a beter option for the 272 then the pm6 thats in it now?

Old 05-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

If you had slightly more compression I bet it would help. I tune my own stuff and nothing beats the availability of a chipped computer. Burner. And wb02
SLEEPERSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in