D15Z1 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 07:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ProjectAris Send a message via MSN to ProjectAris
Default D15Z1

yes, the dreaded Z1, its soooo slow and one of the weakest engines in the D-Block class, and i happen to have one in my car, now i was wondering if its worth keeping, i like the body on my car, but i wouldn't look forward to shelling out 2K to replace my engine. Any suggestions?
ProjectAris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 13 mondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mondo9psi

you could take the head off and open up the ports on the intake side of the head...
this guy started but never finished D15z1 / D16z6 Combo rebuilt - D-series.org
Old 05-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Ah yes, the dreaded D15Z1. I had it (still do) the stock motor that came in my hatch.

Get rid of it, you can't mini-me it because of the spindle oil ports near the pistons on the block.

Go with a D15B and a tranny, you'd be suprised at how cheap they are going, and I don't care what anybody else says, they ARE the most powerful D-series motor. Unique cam and more aggressive internals. Honda knew what they where doing when they built it (Think of it as a JDM EK Type R OEM track car from Honda but old school)

I have mine and love it and I paid less than $800 for it to come from cali, an EX tranny, and the ECU

Go with that motor and an EX tranny (The D16Z6 and D16Y8 motors are good too, go with a EX tranny, the Si has a longer last gear=no good, an LSD for a D is way too much for anyones price range and they are not worth it, and go with a P28 ecu no matter what, you can chip it later on.)

That's about all you need to know about good D-series motors straight out of the box. Welcome to the site!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm rocking with a JDM D15B, a 1995 EX Transmission, and a original P08 ECU.

Last edited by Monkeyspank; 05-03-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Monkeyspank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Formerly 95RedVXCivic

Rep Power: 11 Sarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Sarge

i have one too, i am going to put a different intake manifold and throttle body as well as a different exhaust manifold that eliminates the cat, and yes i will be port matching the intake and head myself! i will make a thread when i start and i will post pics as well.

Need and ecu converted/chipped/socketed? PM me.

Speed cost, how fast can you afford to go?

"While it is legal for the police to lie, they may not unreasonably pressure a suspect to commit a crime."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My for sale thread!
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 02:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

d15z1 pwns me...
d15z1sux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Send a message via Yahoo to Jokerluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by d15z1sux View Post
d15z1 pwns me...
ditto.........

Jokerluv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Joey Misanthropy

Rep Power: 16 Joseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Davis

They're great beater engines, but a bit of a redheaded stepchild if you want to "do" something other than get 50+ mpg.

Joseph Davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to siregcivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Davis View Post
They're great beater engines, but a bit of a redheaded stepchild if you want to "do" something other than get 50+ mpg.
i loooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeee my d15z1 with z6 head

it is a greatttttttttttt boost motor... i am currently pushing 12psi on it with a t3 t4 .57 trim its fast.... i mean its fast i love it.. i also have a stage 1 crower copy cam...

i turned it up to 14psi and it was faster but i turned it back down to 12 because im still using the stock map sensor....

when i get my gm 3bar im gonna turn it up to 16psi and see what happens.. i bet5 it holds great

d15z1 sucks all motor straight up... but get a z6 or y8 head and boost the shit out of it

SOBER TILL ITS OVER

Quote:
can you tell me how to hook up a vtech switch?
i want it on the new steering wheel i got at pep boys. have you seen it its sick!
but if i hook up the vtech i can have it at like whatever rpms i want right?
like vtech all the time? will it pop louder?
Quote:
Just hook it up to a clapper and slap yourself in the face everytime you race......
siregcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Joey Misanthropy

Rep Power: 16 Joseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to all

Haha, I've tuned that combo before.

Interesting combo, I learned something about realistic application of AFRs on that motor. You're told to go for 12's AFR as soon as you see boost, but with a small turbo on that combo all that does is kill fuel efficiency. I think I have wnc_klx_rider's car in the low 14's under boost below ~2200 rpms... it sounds suicidal, but that's about what it takes to maintain a 55 mph cruise in 5th gear up a hill so minor you wouldn't call it a hill if it weren't for the fact it made the engine tip into boost.

D-series with no CR to speak of are awesome to boost, they don't get hurt easily and they last forever. That's the #1 reason I'd never own an FJT long rod.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to siregcivic

Quote:

Interesting combo, I learned something about realistic application of AFRs on that motor. You're told to go for 12's AFR as soon as you see boost, but with a small turbo on that combo all that does is kill fuel efficiency. I think I have wnc_klx_rider's car in the low 14's under boost below ~2200 rpms... it sounds suicidal, but that's about what it takes to maintain a 55 mph cruise in 5th gear up a hill so minor you wouldn't call it a hill if it weren't for the fact it made the engine tip into boost.

D-series with no CR to speak of are awesome to boost, they don't get hurt easily and they last forever. That's the #1 reason I'd never own an FJT long rod.
yea... well my motor doesnt make that much tq under 2k rpm i usually shift at 2500 when im cruising but it accelerates a little faster when i shift at 3000 i also get 170 miles to 5.8 gallons of gas also as long as i stay out of boost for the most part im happy with it... not much power down low like a d16 but it still fly's up top so im happy

SOBER TILL ITS OVER

Quote:
can you tell me how to hook up a vtech switch?
i want it on the new steering wheel i got at pep boys. have you seen it its sick!
but if i hook up the vtech i can have it at like whatever rpms i want right?
like vtech all the time? will it pop louder?
Quote:
Just hook it up to a clapper and slap yourself in the face everytime you race......
siregcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Send a message via AIM to Ej1_CiViC_95

Anyone kno if you can put the roller rocker arm set up from the d15z1 head on the d16z6 head? Any advantages? Disadvantages? Let me kno

-D16Z6 W/ MILD POLISHED HEAD
-D16Z6 INTAKE MANIFOLD BORED OUT TO LS T/B SIZE W/ LS T/B
-P29 PISTONS
-FRESH CRANK
-MOBLIE 1 10-40W
-INTAKE
-EXHAUST
-KHROME PROGRAMMING
-NGK ALL THE WAY! WIRES N ALL

Ej1_CiViC_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 Aphexb is fly like an eagleAphexb is fly like an eagleAphexb is fly like an eagleAphexb is fly like an eagleAphexb is fly like an eagleAphexb is fly like an eagleAphexb is fly like an eagleAphexb is fly like an eagleAphexb is fly like an eagleAphexb is fly like an eagleAphexb is fly like an eagleAphexb is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

I am actually about to buy a vx this weekend and that motor is still in it lol....I dont know what I will be doing with it lol
Aphexb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 12:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

i have a 95 civic coupe w/ a d15b 1.5 with built camgears, camshaft, and a ex tranny, aka minime. i also hava chipp ecu po6. rev limit 1st 2nd gears @ 8000rpm, 3rd 4th 5th gears @ 6500rpm. This motor is sweet. I pull a d15z? sumthing sumthing?? canadian motor.pull them 2 cars on the launch and further. also i pull them d16z6 coupes n hatch 1-2 cars. Well just to let ya know, i have the GSR launch on this minime. So stick with the d15b and go minime you wont regret it.
jamesdamang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 01:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdamang View Post
i have a 95 civic coupe w/ a d15b 1.5 with built camgears, camshaft, and a ex tranny, aka minime. i also hava chipp ecu po6. rev limit 1st 2nd gears @ 8000rpm, 3rd 4th 5th gears @ 6500rpm. T.
Explain to me your built camgears (plural) on a single cam motor.

What is a "chipp" ECU???

Sounds like a D15B7 with a newbie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 06:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Joey Misanthropy

You're so hard, Chuck. You call that n00b out and give him what-for!

Old 09-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I just tuned a d15z1 my buddy built. The cam is a regrind. Ported the head but didn't open them up to much. Milled the block/head true and then put a d15b7 manifold on it with a stock y7 throttlebody. Tuned on a chipped p28 I had everywhere WOT was 15.5:1 a/f except above 5k which was 14:1. Cruising at 18:1 just off the wideband. Runs awesome. Weird little motors...

Almost forgot. Kid had a d16z6 bottom end with a vtec-e head. I ran him last weekend on a 100 shot. I was on a 65 and pulled him. We were talking setups and he mentioned he had the vtec-e head on the block. Looked. It was. To my suprise he was running 100 shot dry. No fuel management just bottle to the intake. Before I knew about nitrous I ran a setup on a 50 shot and with no fuel it burnt up soo fast. Now that's when I got into tuning. Nitrous jet is a .048 and it is ingesting the nitrous. Looked at the hotter than stock plugs (dude from autozone told him hotter for nitrous hahaha.) No detonation except for a little n/a detonation (you know when it isn't crazy metal on the plug but just a flake or two with oil spatter). So indeed those motors run lean. His a/fs had to be leaner than 20:1 easy and it was still going.. funny thing was is while we were running you could hear the point the spark plug turned into a glow plug and just basically let out a a few pre ignition pops and then he would back out. Sounded the same as when a turbo car blows out spark so he could have blown it out but that didn't make sense.

Haha. It was funny. Been running for a month on the bottle. He listened to me when I told him to bring it to me to get tuned so we will see if it shows up before tonight. Suppose to be here for a retune at noon. We will see what a/f's I end up at...

I would get a 45 dollar ebay header. Ex tranny for the longer 5th. D15b7 intake manifold. Stock throttlebody from the d15z1 for a nice anti reversion step. Port the head not huge but to increase velocity coming towards the chambers. Might help. That would probably run decent with a 200 si intake or something big tubed. Drop in filter. Probably run it on a stock ecu or a retune whatever. His ran good I don't see why your wouldn't. It won't be fast as shit but a nice start. Your almost better off getting an idea of goals (not power but direction. N/A supercharger turbo) and then slowly go that direction with planned out attack.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Do you use your a/c or does it even have power steering?
Your flywheel is lighter than most. Maybe a chromoly 12 pount unit to replace it might help but tha reason I ask is I run the 7lb flywheel and just went from a stock p/s a/c alt. Pulled on my d15b2 to a 1lb alt only pulley and it helped while moving. Not so much out of the hole which everyone will tell you. But it will help going on a downshift power punch will help or once the clutch is engaged it will help. Maybe just try a crank pulley before you go with a flywheel. You have a d15 motor. Use it to your advantage. Noone rec. To run a pulley on a 1.6. The 1.5 does have its perks. You could compete with ex model civic with bolt ons after you finish I bet. Its really not to hard. 110whp or so. Might not hit numbers but I bet you will be happy. I've never seen a built vx/cx on the dyno! Pop vtec-e on the dyno at 2500rpm like a man! Lol
Old 09-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 wnc_klx_rider is da #1 stunnawnc_klx_rider is da #1 stunnawnc_klx_rider is da #1 stunnawnc_klx_rider is da #1 stunnawnc_klx_rider is da #1 stunnawnc_klx_rider is da #1 stunnawnc_klx_rider is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyspank View Post
Get rid of it, you can't mini-me it because of the spindle oil ports near the pistons on the block.

FAIL

Quote:

I think I have wnc_klx_rider's car in the low 14's under boost below ~2200 rpms... it sounds suicidal,

My engine sees redline at least 3 times a day. 20k boosted miles, and i beat the shit out of it. no ticks, no knocks,......ever.......(yet) *edit

and i run a/c and get a VERY consistent 30mpg
In Fayetteville, NC I actually witnessed a traffic stop by a silver Civic. NC tags in the back, not the [NC Exempt] tags that are usually on patrol cars, and a black plate on front that said "BUSTED". It boasted a Zepplin lightshow style array of lights and a full uniform cop stepped out. I was rather suprised.

06 Ex civic 4dr all stock family car
07 sti daily driver. cobb stg 2
86 Comanche 4wd
wnc_klx_rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2009, 08:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

If any of you live close to San Antonio, I'll buy your z1.
raulo19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in