Smog question - plz help! Im drained =( - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to hondaguy
Exclamation Smog question - plz help! Im drained =(

Sup guys, well I have a 92 si hatch. With a single zc v. headers and intake.
When i first smoged it a yr ago it passed. This yr came around
to re smome and i just failed!.. Only difference from last yr is
mileage and that i added headers. I did some research and
apparently you can still pass with intake, headers, and exhaust
in nevada.

By the way i find it ridiculous you have to your car every
fucken yr in nevada! lol. in cali its every other yr..

Wel anyways my sheet reads :

------------------------------------------------------
AREAS OF EMISSION TEST FAILURE:

-(TEST PARAMETER)High speed co (RESULT) 1.74% (ADDITIONAL INFORMATION) GREATHER THAN 1.20%

-(TEST PARAMETER)Idle Speed Hc (RESULT) 442 (ADDITIONAL INFORMATION) Greater than 220 parts per million
--------------------------------------------------------

Theyre trying to tax my ass 125 to pass. Plus renewal tags 45.
Would run around 170$!!..
I want to try and troubleshoot these two problems. Only problem
i have no idea what they mean, i would apreciate any links or hints
on where my problem may be. I really need to get this done.
Thanks in advanced guys =)

Ima search around honda tech in the mean time c if i find any
clues on where my problems may be

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"street racing isnt a thing.. its a lifestyle"
hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

BY THE WAY I FORGOT TO ADD:::..

just recently i did a clutch job on my hatch and
the ECT SENSOR BROKE OFF.. thats the plug next
to the dizzy that plugs into the head (next to the
tempeture wire)

Well anyways i was running the car without this
sensor for about 2 weeks. It was causing my car
to throw out black smoke at times when id start it.
and it would give me trouble turning on the car in
the mornings. also check engine light was coming
up... I bought the plug at hondoctors and rewired
it. no more smoke, no more check engine light or
trouble starting up..

But as soon as i got that working i went to smog
it. would it be that i didnt let it sit in right????>..

just a thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

why the hell are you smogging in NV? just move here? find someone with an addy outside of the two smog counties, lol.

also, try running 87 through.

oh yeah, and go to the smog station like you would in cali. drive it hard, very hard. have to make sure the cat is hot.

99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

What causes high HC (hydrocarbon)? High HC is caused by incomplete combustion; in other words, the air and fuel that went in to the combustion chamber was not completely burned, now the unburned fuel has ended up in the tailpipe. Problems that can cause incomplete combustion include:

An ignition misfire. If a spark plug does not spark, the air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber does not burn and then goes out the tailpipe.

Incorrect air fuel mixture. If there is not enough fuel in the combustion chamber to ignite, the fuel that is there goes out the tailpipe.

Low compression. If the compression is too low the air/fuel mixture will not ignite and the unburned fuel will go out the tailpipe.

A bad catalytic converter. The converter lives in the exhaust pipe and burns unburned gas as it passes through.

What causes high CO (carbon monoxide)? High CO is caused by a rich air/fuel mixture. The air fuel ratio should be 14.7 parts air to to 1 part fuel. Problems that can cause a rich mixture include:

Problems with the feedback system (the system that regulates the fuel being added to the engine based on the amount of oxygen in the exhaust).

Problems with a computer sensor such as the coolant temperature sensor, air flow meter, MAP sensor, etc..

Problems with the fuel pressure. Fuel pressure that is too high can cause a rich mixture.

Check this link out for more info:
Smog Failure Possible Causes

I always forget what causes certain failures so I just google and go from there. I've been able to get to the bottom of each failure every time.
97-Civic-Ex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all

black smoke means excess gas,.. could have contributed to the problem if plugs or O2 sensor got fouled up. Might what to check those.

Oh and it is bet to run super unleaded and retard your timing by the legal amount(about 2 degrees) to get a more complete burn. I'd run a cleaner(like the G2P stuff) for 1 full tank before smoging, then some seafoam, then oil change and new plugs or clean the plugs, then run it hard right before driving it to smog station.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-Civic-Ex View Post
it is bet to run super unleaded and retard your timing by the legal amount(about 2 degrees) to get a more complete burn.
87 burns more complete then 91, and you don't have to try to trick the system.

99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

87 octane with some alky in the tank. Make sure the cat is HOT, make sure the ECT sensor is working correctly, and that everything is spot on as far as ignition parts and base timing.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99EJ6T View Post
why the hell are you smogging in NV? just move here? find someone with an addy outside of the two smog counties, lol.

also, try running 87 through.

oh yeah, and go to the smog station like you would in cali. drive it hard, very hard. have to make sure the cat is hot.
Because i live in nevada =( want to move back to cali. but
i know smog wise that aint going to help!!! lol..
and i do run 87.
and i didnt know about running it hard. hot cat helps? ima try it..

Quote:

What causes high HC (hydrocarbon)? High HC is caused by incomplete combustion; in other words, the air and fuel that went in to the combustion chamber was not completely burned, now the unburned fuel has ended up in the tailpipe. Problems that can cause incomplete combustion include:

An ignition misfire. If a spark plug does not spark, the air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber does not burn and then goes out the tailpipe.

Incorrect air fuel mixture. If there is not enough fuel in the combustion chamber to ignite, the fuel that is there goes out the tailpipe.

Low compression. If the compression is too low the air/fuel mixture will not ignite and the unburned fuel will go out the tailpipe.

A bad catalytic converter. The converter lives in the exhaust pipe and burns unburned gas as it passes through.

What causes high CO (carbon monoxide)? High CO is caused by a rich air/fuel mixture. The air fuel ratio should be 14.7 parts air to to 1 part fuel. Problems that can cause a rich mixture include:

Problems with the feedback system (the system that regulates the fuel being added to the engine based on the amount of oxygen in the exhaust).

Problems with a computer sensor such as the coolant temperature sensor, air flow meter, MAP sensor, etc..

Problems with the fuel pressure. Fuel pressure that is too high can cause a rich mixture.

Check this link out for more info:
Smog Failure Possible Causes

I always forget what causes certain failures so I just google and go from there. I've been able to get to the bottom of each failure every time.
great information! hopefully i can get to the bottom.
anymore tips would be great! trying to save 100 bucks!
lol..
Quote:
black smoke means excess gas,.. could have contributed to the problem if plugs or O2 sensor got fouled up. Might what to check those.

Oh and it is bet to run super unleaded and retard your timing by the legal amount(about 2 degrees) to get a more complete burn. I'd run a cleaner(like the G2P stuff) for 1 full tank before smoging, then some seafoam, then oil change and new plugs or clean the plugs, then run it hard right before driving it to smog station.
yeah thats what i was thinking.. everytime i tried turning it on
im sure id throw gas. maybe some of it is still laying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
87 octane with some alky in the tank. Make sure the cat is HOT, make sure the ECT sensor is working correctly, and that everything is spot on as far as ignition parts and base timing.
some alky?... would dat work as well...

so far i got this on to do list :

-oil change
-straighten spark plug wires
-run it for hot cat!
-drive it for a day or 2 to clear any access smoke from plug

get some stuff rolling in guys!
without a doubt the most helpful
forum for me so far!

Old 04-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99EJ6T View Post
87 burns more complete then 91, and you don't have to try to trick the system.
Trick the system? How exactly did you get that from my post. By retarding ur timing ur are alowing for a more complete moreburn. The contraversy of what octane rating will give you a better burn will forever be up for debate. However, with older cars, it is more likely tat the combustion chamber has a lot of carbon build up that it has a higher compretion ratio than it was originally designed. So a higher octane would actually lower emissions. As I said, all this is up for debate, just my 2 cents.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 HoldOnNotDoneAccelerating is learning the way of the DHoldOnNotDoneAccelerating is learning the way of the D

raise octane for test, burns nicer and cleaner by a mile
new plugs
check dissy cap and rotor
change fuel filter
drive like stink to clear any particles clinging inside your exhaust system

HoldOnNotDoneAccelerating is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in