Speed limiter cut off - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 07:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Speed limiter cut off

All JDM Honda models have an artificial 180kph top-speed limit. This limit, existing even on the NSX Type-S, is implemented by Honda via the engine ECU. The following explanation is how the 180kph limit is implemented.

The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is a device attached to the transmission that measures the car's speed via tracking the number of revolutions of the wheels. The output of a VSS is in either sine wave, square wave or in the form of pulse counts. When the engine ECU detects the car is travelling at 180kph via the VSS signal, it reacts in one of two ways. It will either stop 2 or more injectors or it can cut the ignition (probably intermittently). This reduces engine power output drastically, slowing down the car until its speed drops below 180kph.

In JDM cars, cutting off the VSS signal to the engine ECU can lead to one of three conditions. One is the ECU will just ignore the absence of the VSS signal and continue operating as normal. In another, the engine simply won't start or will die when gear is engaged. The final condition is the ECU program, because it now cannot determine how fast the car is travelling, goes into a backup safe mode in which it runs the engine rich. This unnatural rich mode is undesirable and will actually lead to a slight loss in engine power as well as oil dilution (contamination of engine oil with petrol).

In Hondas, loss of the VSS signal will cause the ECU program to go into the backup safe mode. In addition, it will invoke a trouble code of 17 (for EF8/EF9 CRX/Civic SiR) indicating 'faulty vehicle speed sensor'. In the HPL archives, Doug MacMillion said that cutting off the VSS signal will also stop the ECU from engaging the high cam lobes for the B16A.
87zcdochsicivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

soooo whats the point of this post?

haha

sorry if im being rude..
Schwing27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

yes... common knowledge pretty much

Quote:
The problem is, my need for speed exceeds the need to save the earth.
Quote:
WELL FINE! I'LL JUST GO EAT THE SHIT OUTTA MY OREO'S THEN!
cmgreen50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

it's 65 useful posts. not 65-cut-and-paste-all-over-the-internet posts.
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 AHHVTEC is starting to learn the ropesAHHVTEC is starting to learn the ropesAHHVTEC is starting to learn the ropesAHHVTEC is starting to learn the ropesAHHVTEC is starting to learn the ropesAHHVTEC is starting to learn the ropesAHHVTEC is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

or just get a usdm ecu

AHHVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boosted-EH-804

Pointless post yes thats why we chip and sockets does aways with the top speed limiter. What are you trying o do here?

Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 20 tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!
tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

he wants to cut his vss I think
You guys should all just get Miatas.
Nobody ever tries to race you, old guys give you thumbs up all the time, and random assholes yell homophobic obscenities at you.
tronsteezz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 MCR00EX is da #1 stunnaMCR00EX is da #1 stunnaMCR00EX is da #1 stunnaMCR00EX is da #1 stunnaMCR00EX is da #1 stunnaMCR00EX is da #1 stunnaMCR00EX is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MCR00EX

cool.

8.731 @ 80.98 1/8 Mile Time
14.128 @ 99.05 2.223 60 ft 185/65/14 Dunlops

Best 60 Ft Ever - 1.896

Bone Stock D16Y8
Precision SC5457 .60 cold side .63 hot side
204.9whp and 207.7 ft lbs on 8 lbs boost

Next time on dyno OVER 400whp
MCR00EX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 20 tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!
tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I am thinking about cutting one ear off....... it might get blood all over but I will be able to run faster !
You guys should all just get Miatas.
Nobody ever tries to race you, old guys give you thumbs up all the time, and random assholes yell homophobic obscenities at you.
tronsteezz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted-ED-804 View Post
Pointless post yes thats why we chip and sockets does aways with the top speed limiter. What are you trying o do here?

whore up to the for sale secttion via useless cut and paste knowledge.

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

Old 04-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

Im thinking about getting metal legs.. Its a risky operation but I think it will be worth it.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 Mr.Si is learning the way of the DMr.Si is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwing27 View Post
Im thinking about getting metal legs.. Its a risky operation but I think it will be worth it.

you'll never have metal legs , samantha is fucking alex.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddcartes View Post
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

gosh, my job is teh suxors.

Quote:

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

Old 04-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

pst dont tell the mods

new cha thread lol

Quote:
The problem is, my need for speed exceeds the need to save the earth.
Quote:
WELL FINE! I'LL JUST GO EAT THE SHIT OUTTA MY OREO'S THEN!
cmgreen50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 11:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Poop Sock

wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wizard's blood

Quote:
soooo whats the point of this post?

haha

sorry if im being rude..
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgreen50 View Post
yes... common knowledge pretty much
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddcartes View Post
Quote:
x2! to all of it
Old 04-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

91sihatch It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
I am thinking about cutting one ear off....... it might get blood all over but I will be able to run faster !
bawhahahahyahahah

Quote:
gosh, my job is teh suxors
this thread suxors
^^^^^^^^Trading Tactics in a for sale forum

Old Toy

91sihatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Si View Post
you'll never have metal legs , samantha is fucking alex.

pleeease sit on my faaaaace
Old 04-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

cococknut tree.

Quote:

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

Old 04-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

I posted it Because no one has posted anything that explanes what the Speed limiter cut off is or how the Speed limiter cut off works

And why would i want to cut the vss? That would screw up my air/fuel mix and i like my cars working How they're meant to, Not Spitting extra gas into the engine just so it can just be Spat out of the exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in