Y8 block and head into 91 si, engine not cranking - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 06:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Y8 block and head into 91 si, engine not cranking

Let me get the background info out of the way... I had a cracked piston in my A6 and instead of rebuilding it I got a Y8 from my buddy that only has 6500 miles on it but has been stored for 6 years. In the interest of keeping the swap simple and because I'm NOT trying to build it up (now or ever) I used everything from the A6 except the block, head (and internals) and exhaust manifold. I have carefully transferred the tranny, intake mani, dizzy, alternator and etc... over and transferred the 4g harness to the new motor. I have made only the following changes to the 4g harness: extended the radiator fan switch wires to the new location on the thermostat, extended the O2 sensor wire for the different location on the Y8. Per "Mechanic B's" (and multiple other sources) directions I have not hooked up the crank fluctuation sensor, knock sensor, or oil pressure sensor (located at the VTEC housing) That being said, all wiring from the 4G harness has been accounted for (no extra plugs) and the stock 4G ecu should be able to find everything it needs and nothing extra. The VTEC controller is an external RPM activated switch and relay (which shouldn't have any affect on the whether the car starts or not - and that is my problem). With everything back together (including fluids and a good battery) the engine was not cranking. I can hear all the normal sounds from the fuel pump to the starter engaging the flywheel but alas, it does not turn over. I had Autozone test my starter (good) but tried a new one anyway which produced the same results. I unhooked, checked and rechecked all my connections, put it back together again and then it would crank (but not run) when I tried to start it. I would expect some trouble for an engine that sat for that long. I checked to make sure it wasn't seized by turning the motor over by hand and that was fine. I thought that I was making progress because at least now it was cranking and then for no reason it stopped cranking and doing what it was doing before. I checked the battery and all wiring again and still nothing. The very first time I tried to start it after the swap I had the starter from the y8 in but switched it out for the old one after a quick check revealed that they were different starters. Could this have damaged something? What and how would I check it. Does anyone know what's up? It seems too coincidental that a clutch safety switch would be faulty that started at the exact time that I swap a motor. Something has got to be faulting something somewhere right? No bad fuses, the main relay appears to be functioning. The very first time I tried to start it after the swap I had the starter from the y8 in but switched it out for the old one after a quick check revealed that they were different starters. Could this have damaged something? What and how would I check it.
hebelowkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 06:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
wheres my money man!!

Rep Power: 42 sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 143 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sleepingciv Send a message via MSN to sleepingciv Send a message via Yahoo to sleepingciv

FUCK use the enter key im not even gonna read all that ran together train wreck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sleepingciv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 07:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 jbretz is learning the way of the Djbretz is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

do you have the knock sensor disabled? also what dist. did you use?
jbretz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 08:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

actually I used the enter key and I don't know why it did that.

I don't appreciate your non-constructive negative criticism though.

It is amazing that you even took the time to type a sentence stating that you are an asshole.

As mentioned in the above ran-together train wreck, I used the A6 dizzy and the knock sensor is not used.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Let me get the background info out of the way...

I had a cracked piston in my A6 and instead of rebuilding it I got a Y8 from my buddy that only has 6500 miles on it but has been stored for 6 years. In the interest of keeping the swap simple and because I'm NOT trying to build it up (now or ever) I used everything from the A6 except the block, head (and internals) and exhaust manifold.

I have carefully transferred the tranny, intake mani, dizzy, alternator and etc... over and transferred the 4g harness to the new motor. I have made only the following changes to the 4g harness: extended the radiator fan switch wires to the new location on the thermostat, extended the O2 sensor wire for the different location on the Y8. Per "Mechanic B's" (and multiple other sources) directions I have not hooked up the crank fluctuation sensor, knock sensor, or oil pressure sensor (located at the VTEC housing)

That being said, all wiring from the 4G harness has been accounted for (no extra plugs) and the stock 4G ecu should be able to find everything it needs and nothing extra.

The VTEC controller is an external RPM activated switch and relay (which shouldn't have any affect on the whether the car starts or not - and that is my problem).

With everything back together (including fluids and a good battery) the engine was not cranking. I can hear all the normal sounds from the fuel pump to the starter engaging the flywheel but alas, it does not turn over. I had Autozone test my starter (good) but tried a new one anyway which produced the same results.

I unhooked, checked and rechecked all my connections, put it back together again and then it would crank (but not run) when I tried to start it. I would expect some trouble for an engine that sat for that long. I checked to make sure it wasn't seized by turning the motor over by hand and that was fine. I thought that I was making progress because at least now it was cranking and then for no reason it stopped cranking and doing what it was doing before. I checked the battery and all wiring again and still nothing.

The very first time I tried to start it after the swap I had the starter from the y8 in but switched it out for the old one after a quick check revealed that they were different starters. Could this have damaged something? What and how would I check it.

Does anyone know what's up? It seems too coincidental that a clutch safety switch would be faulty that started at the exact time that I swap a motor.

Something has got to be faulting something somewhere right? No bad fuses, the main relay appears to be functioning.

The very first time I tried to start it after the swap I had the starter from the y8 in but switched it out for the old one after a quick check revealed that they were different starters. Could this have damaged something? What and how would I check it.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Today I wanted to try push starting it but thought that it might need a little more than a little push...

We hooked it up behind my truck and began to pull it down the block (quite a site I'm sure). It took a full second or two after I put it in gear and it started and ran great.

After a quick cruise to allow the engine to warm up I shut it off in the drive. A few moments later I tried a key start and the same thing happened.

A few tries later it started from the key. I figure the starter hasn't gone out yet but is on its way out which would explain why the Autozone test passed. If I give it a little tap while someone else turns the key it will work.

I guess it was just coincidental that it started getting bad then.

Does anyone know why the starter from a 6g EX wouldn't work? I know the replacement parts have different part numbers but if I can avoid buying a used one by putting the 6g starter on that would be great.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 11 uptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

the first thing you want to check is if you got spark. if you dont have spark make sure the timing belt is good just by seeign if you can see the cam turnign through the oil filler cap hole. if you are getting spark than you must not be getting any fuel in there.
uptownsamcv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in