Question about vtec - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Question about vtec

How do i know for sure my vtec is actually working.. i got this d15b vtec engine in recently, and ive had some wiring issues. So i dont know for sure is i have the vtec wiring correct... I mean its not hard to do and im pretty sure its right but is there a way to know for sure?
Schwing27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

I wouldn't know but I've heard members here that it's just Screams 'Vtaaaak' after 5k Rpm's? lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

you should be able to hear a tone change around 5k.. at least you can in mine
93*Sol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

haha ya. Thats another thing too. I think its suppose to engage at about 5500rpm? or somewhere in there. I cant really hear or feeel any difference in power when accelerating hard.. So i dont believe its working.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

if you think its not working then it probably isnt

but it could be different it different cars.. but both of my d16s had a pretty definite tone change
Old 03-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

well i bought a wire harnesss from rywire so its not like i really had to do much wiring... just plug and go. So im almost positive the wiring part is right..

ive read theres a screen in the solenoid that could be clogged.. and prevent oil from getting in there causing it not to work

when i got the engine the head was completly gunked up. I mean bad. I also did a motor flush once i got the engine in and the oil screen got clogged causing me to loose oil pressure. Do you think the vtec solonoid could be clogged too?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwing27 View Post
haha ya. Thats another thing too. I think its suppose to engage at about 5500rpm? or somewhere in there. I cant really hear or feeel any difference in power when accelerating hard.. So i dont believe its working.
Do you have Bolt On's on your Engine? What do you have on it?

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

cheap DC replica header, Invidia exhaust, and Intake.

I just took the vtec solenoid off and WOW. that thing was nasty.. the screen was full of gunk. So i cleaned it the best i could and put it back on.
Doesn't feel like anything changes. I made sure the car was fully warmed up. I I just installed a new oil pump the other day so i have lots of oil pressure.
I did a couple full throttle pulls from 2nd gear at about 3k and brought it up to about 6800 or so. and also did it with 3rd gear. Vtec should engage at about 5400 or 5500 with a stock p28 correct? I honestly can not hear any difference in the tone of the engine around that RPM, let alot any difference in power.

what do you guys think?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

This is how it looked when i took it off... I didnt get an after pic once it was cleaned but I did a pretty good job of cleaning it.

EDIT: i forgot to hit the "close up" button on the camera so its kinda blurry. Sorry
Old 03-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

what did you clean it with?

I have a spare one that i was going to clean before i sell it but i didnt want to use regular cleaner and possibly mess a sensor up but i read something on this fourm that says it'll work fine so idk

you dont have a check engine light on do you
Old 03-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 sql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 31 reviews

Well VTEC was designed to not be noticed when it engages.

You can tap into the ECU wire that activates the solenoid and hook it up to a 12v LED. Then at least you'll know if the ECU is signaling the solenoid. Another thing to try is to run 12v to the solenoid and see if you hear it click.

sql_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 Jvs10 is learning the way of the DJvs10 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

The d15b has a pretty aggressive vtec crossover from my experience (the d15b has a more aggressive cam, or so I've read). I have a d15b head on my b7 with a p28 ecu. It should at least be pretty audible with an intake and/or exhaust. I'd try the above suggestion first, make sure your solenoid isn't bad.
Jvs10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sql_civic View Post
Well VTEC was designed to not be noticed when it engages.
i dont think my car got that memo

anyway let us know if you get it working
Old 03-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

alright ill try that out. but im not so smart when it comes to wiring.. my buddy helped me out getting this thing wired, he knew what he was doing. hes wired up a few civics before. But he is gone for 2 weeks, so im kinda outa luck here. So when you say wire up a 12v led to the ecu wire for the solenoid.. i really have no idea where that is on the ECU.. is that just the wire that goes to the 1 wire sensor that plugs into the solenoid? if so you mean just splice the wire and add another wire for a 12v led light and that should light up when vtec kicks on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93*Sol View Post
what did you clean it with?

I have a spare one that i was going to clean before i sell it but i didnt want to use regular cleaner and possibly mess a sensor up but i read something on this fourm that says it'll work fine so idk

you dont have a check engine light on do you
i just wiped it off the best i could with a rag..

I have no engine light.

Last edited by krychek57; 04-02-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

hey im almost positve u have to run a ground wire for the vtec oil switch did you do that?? i have a y8 in my civic w intake and when vtec kicks in there is a really big tone change for me
kwcrxaz90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

i had that issue before i just ran it with the vtec disconnected and then with it on and u can really tell the differance and you can hear it to like others said.
z6Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwcrxaz90 View Post
hey im almost positve u have to run a ground wire for the vtec oil switch did you do that?? i have a y8 in my civic w intake and when vtec kicks in there is a really big tone change for me
well theres 2 sensors on the Vtec thing. one is a 1 wire sensor. which is black. the other is a 2 wire sensor. red and green i think.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

ok the two wire one where do those wires run to ecu?
kwcrxaz90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
ok the two wire one where do those wires run to ecu?
im not really sure. the vtec and o2 sensor are part of the Sub harness i got from rywire...

when you guys say the vtec solenoid needs to be grounded.. how and where? all i see is the 1 wire sensor thats plugged to the vtec, and another 2 wire sensor thats plugged to the vtec. all 3 of those wires are wrapped up nice and go through to the firewall and im guessing into the ecu.. i dont see any ground wire for the vtec anywhere..
Old 03-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 15 immajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagle

Quote:
i have that but i got a y7 motor lol
immajackuup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in