Honda D Series Forum banner

Vtec E/vtec?

10K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  chronodev87 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
What kind of VTEC for d16z6?...sohc vtec or sohc vtec-e?... And one more thing, i have d16z6 head.I saw another d16z6 vtec solenoid, My question is what is little green things at vtec solenoid?..not a wire, seems like a relay or something.Is it oil pressure sensor?...coz i dont have that since i bought d16z6 head.
Thanks 4 ur all replys...

#3 ·
Red_SiR said:
Z6 head is VTEC not VTEC-E. About the green thing, you will need to be more descriptive in order to get a response. Please provide pics or some kind of descriptive drawing...
im take a pic from d16y8 and B-series, coz i cannot find d16z6 vtec solenoid picture on net...u can see "green things" in it?...as shown as #no 2....In my d16z6 vtec solenoid, there is no such a "green thing"?...just only 1 wire...cud u tell me guys?.....thanks

Attachments

#4 ·
yea its just plain ol vtec. its a good head too id rather have it than a y8. vtec e sux you wouldnt want that anyway if u wanted any sort of performance all it does is get u beter gas mileage. as for the green thing...no fucking idea

#5 ·
89crxz6 said:
yea its just plain ol vtec. its a good head too id rather have it than a y8. vtec e sux you wouldnt want that anyway if u wanted any sort of performance all it does is get u beter gas mileage. as for the green thing...no fucking idea
Why do noobs automatically assume that vtec-e sucks? Admittedly, it varies based on which engine it's in, but the Vtec-E y5 certainly does not "suck", in my opinion, of course.
-d

#7 ·
chronodev87 said:
Why do noobs automatically assume that vtec-e sucks? Admittedly, it varies based on which engine it's in, but the Vtec-E y5 certainly does not "suck", in my opinion, of course.
-d
ok it doesnt really suck.its just less effective in certain instances. it depends on what your going for. performance or economy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTEC#SOHC_VTEC-E

#8 ·
Ok thx..now i relly sure that my d16z6 is real sohc vtec...o ne more thing..is d16z6 vtec solenoid come with oil pressure sensor as shown as in the pictures?.....coz i dont have it since i bought d16z6 head.Is vtec will no working if didnt have oil pressure sensor?.......

Attachments

#9 ·
if you want a full expanation of how vtec and vtec-e works look at this site: http://asia.vtec.net/spfeature/vtecimpl/vtec1.html
to sum it up, SOHC VTEC-E sux and is made for economy, SOHC non-vtec is okay, SOHC 3-stage VTEC is better, gets great gas milage and great power in higher rpms, and the VTEC gets the most power in high rpms

#11 ·
"The ECM also looks at other inputs for VTEC operation - engine temp, engine oil pressure and vehicle speed (VTEC does not turn on unless the vehicle is moving). A separate oil pressure switch monitors the VTEC system. If a problem occurs, the ECM can turn off VTEC operation and will set a code, turning on the "check engine" light. In some cases, it can also cause a driveability problem."
this was taken from http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/jan2005/techtips.cfm

#12 ·
thsmrtone1 said:
if you want a full expanation of how vtec and vtec-e works look at this site: http://asia.vtec.net/spfeature/vtecimpl/vtec1.html
to sum it up, SOHC VTEC-E sux and is made for economy, SOHC non-vtec is okay, SOHC 3-stage VTEC is better, gets great gas milage and great power in higher rpms, and the VTEC gets the most power in high rpms
It really depends on the engine that uses vtec-e. I for one am a believer in the y5.
Define "sux". If you mean overall potential then I argue that the y5 is better than any sohc vtec.
-d

#13 ·
Green thing = vtec oil pressure sensor
Single Wire = vtec solenoid activation wire

Vtec will not work if you have a bad oil pressure sensor. The oil pressure sensor was one of the things I was missing with my Z6 and ZC head that came with solenoids.

#14 ·
chronodev87 said:
It really depends on the engine that uses vtec-e. I for one am a believer in the y5.
Define "sux". If you mean overall potential then I argue that the y5 is better than any sohc vtec.
-d
a stock vtec-e is meant for one thing only... economy. when below activation, only one valve is open, causing the air/fuel mixture to mix more effectively (creates a swirl in the chamber)... when the vtec engages, the second valve opens, however, because the motor is built for economy and economy only, the horsepower gained when the VTEC is engaged is still less than that of a non-vtec motor... the only exception for this is the Y5 and the d17a2... other than that there is no vtec-e engine that is worth anything but good gas milage...
as far as VTEC vs VTEC-e goes, there is no vtec-e with more horsepower than any VTEC motor

#15 ·
thsmrtone1 said:
a stock vtec-e is meant for one thing only... economy. when below activation, only one valve is open, causing the air/fuel mixture to mix more effectively (creates a swirl in the chamber)... when the vtec engages, the second valve opens, however, because the motor is built for economy and economy only, the horsepower gained when the VTEC is engaged is still less than that of a non-vtec motor... the only exception for this is the Y5 and the d17a2... other than that there is no vtec-e engine that is worth anything but good gas milage...
as far as VTEC vs VTEC-e goes, there is no vtec-e with more horsepower than any VTEC motor
Bense(a member on here) got me into this stuff...

The obd1 vtec-e(fficiency) motor is the d15z1. It comes in the 92-95 vx hatchback in the USA. This cylinder head has some undesireable attributes: small valves, small ports, MILD cam... And some attributes that are interesting: near cloverleafed chamber, roller rockers...

I purchased a d15z1 head in an attempt to find out about all this vtec-e stuff, only to find out it's main casting is nearly worthless, from a high performance standpoint. In an attempt to salvage the money spent on the cylinder head, I started comparing rocker assemblies, and the d15z1 assembly fits the d16z6 head. This means, you can have the EFFICIENCY of vtec-e, on a higher flowing head. Looks good, now, huh.

Of course, my hopes were dashed with the z1 head, so I acquired a obd2 d16y5 head(civic HX). This head has the same head casting as the d16y8 head, and it also has roller rockers. It has the same, larger, valves as the d16y8, d16z6, d16y7, and d16b5(natural gas), and has the same ports as the d16y8(as it's the same p2j casting). It also has the quench pads on both intake and exhaust sides that will raise compression, and heighten resistance to detonation with the right pistons/clearance.

Utilizing the y5 head, on top of another d16 block with decent compression, should yeild decent/interesting results. The hard part is tuning the thing for the mileage that it should be able to make, and the timing map will be a nightmare. But I have confidence; I've tuned a boosted obd2 prelude with type-s pistons(11:1) with a p28. This may sound easy, but let me tell you, it took some thinking/research. Hopefuly I can do the same with the motor in my sig. All the parts are on the way...

The Y5 head is pretty nice. Correct the obvious flaws, and you've got some potential...

-josh-

Reactions: 4Door
#16 ·
95 R-81 Cx said:
Green thing = vtec oil pressure sensor
Single Wire = vtec solenoid activation wire

Vtec will not work if you have a bad oil pressure sensor. The oil pressure sensor was one of the things I was missing with my Z6 and ZC head that came with solenoids.
So, then i dont have "green thing"(oil press. sensor) in my d16z6 vtec solenoid...how to hook up that sensor in vtec solenoid?..How much the price for that things?...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.