1991 Honda Crx Build - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2019, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default 1991 Honda Crx Build

i have a 1991 crx it has a 100% bone stock D15B2 with a five speed. I have been wanting a mini me swap for awhile and i just got a z6 head because i got it cheap from my brother i also have a small turbo on a y8 manifold

i have a few questions im hoping this site can help with.
Can i use the dpfi that is in my crx now with the z6 head?
is the z6 belt best for this?
and with plans of boost ive been told to use a y8 head gasket for lower compression
DylanT0517 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2019, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

dpfi won't work ,need to pgmfi intake it.
tunable ecu of some kind will be needed.
bigger fuel pump.
minimum 36lb/hr injectors.
z6 tbelt yes.
use any mls, thicker if staying stock rods.
arp head studs if budget permits.
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

walbro 255?
and i will have a p28 i also have a vtec controller but people say it isnt worth using
and yes i will be getting the arp studs

Old 07-22-2019, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 2 drtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanT0517 View Post
and with plans of boost ive been told to use a y8 head gasket for lower compression
I thought the OE Y8 multi layer steel gasket was thinnest of the lot? I could definitely be wrong on that though.
drtalon123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2019, 09:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 2 drtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanT0517 View Post
walbro 255?
and i will have a p28 i also have a vtec controller but people say it isnt worth using
and yes i will be getting the arp studs
You definitely need to be MPFI.

Yes on the pump. If you go with the OEM pressure 255 (P/N GSS317), you shouldn't need an aftermarket pressure regulator, the OEM one will suffice.

If you happened to buy the GSS342, it is capable of overwhelming the stock pressure regulator which can cause your fuel pressure to spike unexpectedly, or be higher than OEM under all conditions. You will need an aftermarket regulator with a larger inlet/outlet to maintain control of that pump.

You need injectors. Use an injector HP calculator (google, there are many) to determine your recommended flow rate for a given power level.

As robgoof said, use an MLS gasket in whatever thickness you need. Definitely couple with ARP's for a good clamp.

Your P28 ECU should automatically control VTEC when working properly. Throw out that controller thingy.

You will need some way of tuning that ECU to work with the larger injectors and provide operating parameters that will support manifold pressures higher than atmospheric air pressures. ECU modifications go hand in hand with tuning and turbocharging Honda's, and is where you should start your research/purchases above all else before going turbo. There are numerous posts on this subject, and you will eventually come to a conclusion that fits your budget/needs on your own after doing a lot of reading.

The P28 is a common OBD1 modification friendly ECU, so you should be good to use what you have as a starting point for modifications.

Just remember, a Honda with a turbo/injectors/fuel pump slapped on it can't do anything unless the ECU knows what to do with boost and the larger injectors. In stock unmodified form, it will never start with larger injectors installed. If it DOES start, it will run like crap and/or freak out and fall on it's face when boost comes on because it doesn't know what to do with any of it. You also risk damaging your freshly built engine without provisions for those modifications.

Last edited by drtalon123; 07-22-2019 at 09:26 PM.
drtalon123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2019, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

1991 91 Honda Civic Si 1.6L D16A6 PGMFI Intake Manifold will that work for my d15b2 with z6 head
Old 08-02-2019, 06:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

also i think the 2 layer d16y8 gasket is 0.025 in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in