D15b7 with z6 head cam timing 1/2 tooth error fix? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2019, 06:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D15b7 with z6 head cam timing 1/2 tooth error fix?

Ive built a d15b7 with P2p0 rods and vitara pistons, I’ve got a z6 head and an adjustable vms timing gear and I’m aware of the 1/2 tooth error but I’ve looked at tons of posts and haven’t got a definitive answer, do I need to retard or advance the gear to make up for the half tooth error and how many degrees? I’ve heard there’s a 4.5 degree difference to make up for the half tooth error but nobody specified if I need to go 4.5 retard or 4.5 advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	91D710C8-9ECE-49AB-993D-03C83CB65BFC_1559571308985.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	510.7 KB
ID:	126089  
Loganglenn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

depends if the cam is installed retarded or advanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
depends if the cam is installed retarded or advanced
is this like the chicken and egg ?who came first?

just use a y timing gear ..
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Who knows if you installed it retarded or advanced. You either rolled the cam ahead or back to get the belt to line up and slide on.

You can use a Y cam gear to fix this, or now i know this sounds crazy as it gets, but you can use an adjustable cam gear and actually degree your cam into its proper location and even account for head milling, decking and different head gasket thickness.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

What engine was the adjustable timing gear made for? That will indicate what it really is timing at when zero'd out.

Plenty of resources regarding timing, I prefer finding big pictures I can print out and have near me when I tinker on my cars for easy reference.

Since your cam gear is adjustable, I would find and print out a large cam gear timing dial, and use a spare bolt and some welding wire, and make an indicator stick, and then dig into matching Top Dead Center on the block with TDC of CYL #1.

Once zero'd out, you can start slightly advancing the camshaft until power feels even and strong without hurting low end rpm power.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019, 02:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

The vms timing gear is a z6 cut gear.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

If I run a stock y series cam gear do I just install it and time the engine like a stock 1.6?
Old 06-04-2019, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

?...

Last edited by robgoof; 06-04-2019 at 10:21 AM.
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in