D16A6 block with D16Z6 head, timing belt problem - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction » Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2019, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy D16A6 block with D16Z6 head, timing belt problem

Hello, im building d16a6 mini me right now. Engine is already assembled but i have some problems with timing belt. D16Z6 belt is very tight and z6 tensioner dont fit on A6 block... for now i have d16a6 tensioner

My question is which timing belt, tensioner and water pump i should use for this mini me?

I found a lot of D16A6 blocks with Z6 heads but can't find any info about timing belts for this engine.
ostry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2019, 08:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Ok, so no one respond me...
What I try so far:
I'm pretty sure water pump doesn't matter, every D16 have 19 teeths.
Z6 (104 teeth) timing belt is really tooooo tight, maybe it's because I use A6 tensioner which is bigger then Z6 one. But Z6 tensioner don't fit on A6 block because of different mounting points

Any hints or ideas?
Old 02-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostry View Post
Ok, so no one respond me...
What I try so far:
I'm pretty sure water pump doesn't matter, every D16 have 19 teeths.
Z6 (104 teeth) timing belt is really tooooo tight, maybe it's because I use A6 tensioner which is bigger then Z6 one. But Z6 tensioner don't fit on A6 block because of different mounting points

Any hints or ideas?

what is "tooooo tight" ..

longer belt
thinner head gasket
shave head/block
use z b or y block
custom tensioner
find a used z6 belt

somethings gotta work....
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 08:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Dso faq for d15 z6 mini me says the b7 belt has 2 more teeth than z6, if that means its longer and you have a tensioner that can tighten it up a bit extra try that. Theyre like 15 bucks.

Also look through catalogs because belts arent exactly app specific. I was hanging out at a shop that was telling a customer itd be 6 weeks to get a serpentine belt for their r34, I was like you guys cant be serious.

Went to google, found the belt SIZE needed for an r34 and googled that belt style and size, found a land rover belt that was in stock across the street at autozone, dude was up and running for 1/4 the price w no shipping cost or delay.

Shop owner gave me a spare transmission for helping out and scolded the dumbass he had on payroll for not being able to figger that one out. It was a garbage transmission from a swap to them, but still.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgoof View Post
what is "tooooo tight" ..

longer belt
thinner head gasket
shave head/block
use z b or y block
custom tensioner
find a used z6 belt

somethings gotta work....

Too tight = as tight as guitar string, tensioner was turning red hot when engine was runing...

Finally after trying different setups I modify stock Z6 tensioner and now it's all good. I use D16Z6 timing belt.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Surprised that nobody has responded since this seems like it would be a common mini me setup.

From what I’m reading:

“Use the z6 or y8 headgasket ,z6 timing belt and a6 timing belt tensioner and water pump.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2019, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
“Use the z6 or y8 headgasket ,z6 timing belt and a6 timing belt tensioner and water pump.”

A6 tensioner is bigger than Z6 (56mm vs 52.5mm) so i think it's impossible to use it since Z6 is already tight fit.
I think water pumps also doesn't matter since all d series water pumps are the same? 19 teeths

Anyway thanks for response

Now I'm breaking in this engine, gonna tune it maybe this month
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
d16a6 d16z6 mini me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in