How to get turbo bolts to hold - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 16 rabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default How to get turbo bolts to hold

Over the years, I've tried to get those bolts on the hot side of the turbo to stay put. No special washers did the trick. Here is what I do now. I remove my downpipe several times a year for engine service so it gives me plenty of trials to see what happens. I started taking notes.

Start with McMaster Carr part number 90373A103
https://www.mcmaster.com/90373a103

Drill a small hole through the head for safety wire. I use a 3/32" bit. A good drill press is invaluable for this step. Put a nut on the end to level the bolt on a piece of scrap metal and use lots of coolant or lube on the bit.

20181221_083657 by rabidflickr, on Flickr
20181221_083412 by rabidflickr, on Flickr

Use a regular flat washer and some anti seize on the threads. Torque to 28 lb/ft with your best harbor freight wrench. This is the setting that I've experimented with. Any tighter and you'll stretch the bolt. Any looser and you'll have a loose bolt after a few heat cycles.

Safety wire. I use .035" stainless welding wire. It doesn't twist well but handles the heat and doesn't rust. Just make sure you have it so that if the bolt starts unscrewing, the wire gets tighter. Look at the top bolt on this 5 bolt flange.

20190112_130039 by rabidflickr, on Flickr

Camera flash makes rust show like a black light in a cheap motel. Anyways, I don't even use a gasket. If it leaks, it's so minor that I don't notice. The manifold bolts are a less precise affair. I just use whatever stainless bolt, put on the anti seize, and tighen them to whatever my finger can stand. Then I tap the wrench with a hammer a few times. I have a tig welder so I weld 1/8" rod between the bolt heads. I have cut that off to remove the bolts later. But they stay tight! You could drill holes and do safety wire.

20190112_130052 by rabidflickr, on Flickr
rabid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

funny you post this ,those bolts always be playin.

nice action I like it .

what I found that has worked for me on the manifold flange ,

use "good" bolts ,make them normal tight and then use a punch and stake the nuts to bolts.

haven't lost any since .
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2019, 04:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...iABEgJOW_D_BwE
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 2 drtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Nice work! I hate safety wiring anything haha.

Continuing to share, here's what I've done before:

Build some studs out of good quality stainless bolts. Place a die on the bolt then cut the length you need using a band saw, clean the cut area with a file then run the die off the stud. Repeat for however many you need.

Insert into the turbo until they bottom, then using a centerpunch, stake the stud at 3-4 points around it, deforming the turbo housing metal trying not to hit the stud.

Then, use these lock nuts:

https://www.aftfasteners.com/two-way...ble-lock-nuts/

and snug em down. Stays put way longer than regular bolts.

Last edited by drtalon123; 01-12-2019 at 07:45 PM.
drtalon123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2019, 06:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post

cost almost as much as my last junkyard turbo kit ..

I'm such a bum
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2019, 11:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 19 civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

i just cross thread mine and jam them on with an impact. they wont go anywhere after that lol.

im kidding. i like most of us just check them periodically and tighten them back up.

civicdxude is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdxude View Post
i just cross thread mine and jam them on with an impact. they wont go anywhere after that lol.

im kidding. i like most of us just check them periodically and tighten them back up.
Mother natures loctite.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 16 rabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
Damn good stuff if you want off the self. Spendy. I don't see a 5 bolt 8mm kit. They have 4 bolt kits though. I'll keep this stuff in mind.
rabid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 9 LAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the community

Palnuts are working great for me, they clip on top of the main nut and keep it snug. They are supposed to be reusable, but if used on the exhaust, they are not.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Mine is a V-band clamp, so I don't have bolt backing out issues. lol
nvturbo_75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2019, 01:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

Nordlock washers!!

RIP SFC Dwayne Torres "Brother in arms"
RIP CALI NOOB
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 05:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

slowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slowturbocx

All good ways to keep those nuts together!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in