Installing New Valve Guides A Must? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Ľ Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Ľ Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 7 StuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Installing New Valve Guides A Must?

Does anyone here recommend for installing new valve guides a must even if the specs are within service limits?
I bought the tool to measure mine after my buddy insisted on replacing them for my rebuild. I have a spare head so I don't know if it smoked.
I am doing new valve stem seals.
Do I need to throw $500 into doing the guides?
I think ill be okay even if they are a little looser then spec...?
Any experience or info? I can't find this info anywhere on D's.
StuckInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2018, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Guides are a wear issue so it depends on your plans for the car.

If the head has 200k miles on it, replace them. The seals won't do much if the guides are worn out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 7 StuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Guides are a wear issue so it depends on your plans for the car.

If the head has 200k miles on it, replace them. The seals won't do much if the guides are worn out.
I plan on turboing soon with a Greddy 15g. The head has at least 120K? I can't remember. How loose is too loose spec wise?

Old 11-07-2018, 06:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 23 79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

If you have to ask just replace them. Always been my thought process.
I feel if you can't tell without asking if something looks worn or is worn and plan on making reliable power just replace it now and save yourself time of having to do it after all the mods.
98 Jeep Cherokee 4" Lift Cut Fenders 33x12.50 Daily/Offroad Toy
14 Subaru Forester XT Touring 2.0 Turbo (Wifes Ride)
92 Mustang 2.3 5 Speed 325K on the clock and counting
07 V-Star 650 Classic Space Consumer in the shop

RIP PAT
79hilux90crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2018, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79hilux90crx View Post
If you have to ask just replace them. Always been my thought process.
I feel if you can't tell without asking if something looks worn or is worn and plan on making reliable power just replace it now and save yourself time of having to do it after all the mods.
I'm asking because I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to.
With your thinking I might as well replace everything because its worn. There's no reason to buying new parts if there's nothing wrong with worn parts that are within spec.
Plans for 200whp. 75.5mm bore. 15g turbo.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInTexas View Post
With your thinking I might as well replace everything because its worn. There's no reason to buying new parts if there's nothing wrong with worn parts that are within spec.
I think the point is that itís a pain in the ass to replace them after youíve re-assembled everything and had the chance to do it previously when things were disassembled.

I totally get your viewpoint. Only replace what needs to be replaced. If you measured the valve stem to guide clearance and itís within spec, then donít bother replacing.

But it sounds to me like theyíre either on the loose side of spec or just outside of it. So I guess the real questions are:

What are the OEM tolerances?
What are your tolerances?
What are you comfortable with and are you willing to tear it apart if itís smoking after reassembly?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2018, 07:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 23 79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
I think the point is that it’s a pain in the ass to replace them after you’ve re-assembled everything and had the chance to do it previously when things were disassembled.
You hit it on the head

If you can and are worried replace now. Its much easier while its apart to replace, than to pull everything apart to replace later costing much more the second time around.
98 Jeep Cherokee 4" Lift Cut Fenders 33x12.50 Daily/Offroad Toy
14 Subaru Forester XT Touring 2.0 Turbo (Wifes Ride)
92 Mustang 2.3 5 Speed 325K on the clock and counting
07 V-Star 650 Classic Space Consumer in the shop

RIP PAT
79hilux90crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2018, 07:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInTexas View Post
I think the point is that it’s a pain in the ass to replace them after you’ve re-assembled everything and had the chance to do it previously when things were disassembled.

I totally get your viewpoint. Only replace what needs to be replaced. If you measured the valve stem to guide clearance and it’s within spec, then don’t bother replacing.

But it sounds to me like they’re either on the loose side of spec or just outside of it. So I guess the real questions are:

What are the OEM tolerances?
What are your tolerances?
What are you comfortable with and are you willing to tear it apart if it’s smoking after reassembly?
I get his point and understand that its more work to tear it apart and replace it but that's not what I'm asking. I haven't measured the specs yet. I'm asking for opinions on replacing the guides if they are within specs of slightly larger than specs. $500 isn't something that I can just throw at if I can be good just running those specs from my head or a spare from pick n pull.
You guys are missing the point of my post. Nobody have any first hand or second hand experience with valve guide specs?
Old 11-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Hi new guides are good always make a quiter smoother engine but ive done without as well and gotten away with it. But why is it 500/guides are like 6x16=96. may be old school but i just flip the head and use a dowel knock them out and then gently tap new in. even if you need a reamer its 30. its hard to measure old guides rocking a valve takes doing it a lot before you can just tell or measure. try a new guide and valve with a little oil you will see how nice the fit is. engines parts wear together thats how they can last but once you change things it kind of messes that up
eulerspiral is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2018, 11:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

If this your first turbo build I would try to find an old engine dont worry about if it smokes or will last. just get the thing set up figure out your oiling,, draing, charge tubes, then tune it a bit. and then use the built engine, most stuff should swap over and you will have lots of things you want to try.
eulerspiral is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

If you're real close to service limit, you aren't taking a big risk. You might be able to have the guides knurled . When I had less funds and more time I would use it if it's close to service limit. Particularly when you have a spare head.
whaemmel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in