D16 rocket arm ratios??? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 07:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16 rocket arm ratios???

I’m building a y7 head and looking at different cam options. I measured the lobe lift on the y7 cam itself and got .174” lift exhaust and .208” lift on the intake. I’m thinking of swapping either a z6 or y8 cam and rocker arm assembly then locking vtec to get extra lift. Does anyone know the rocker arm ratios of the different d16’s? Mainly looking for z6,y8,y7. I can measure the y7 later if I need to. I have a homemade flow bench that won’t really tell me any exact numbers, like CFM but I can compare my head and different lift to see what flows better. So long story short I would like the rocker arm ratios to compare the flow at different lifts before I go and buy a cam and rocker assembly.
Haaland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Default D16 rocker arm ratios???

I went to the junk yard and measured the Y8 and Z6 rockers both has 1.6:1 intake and 1.8:1 exhaust. The same goes for the Y7. In case anyone is looking later on.
Haaland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

vtec rockers will NOT fit with a NON vtec camshaft.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 jockobo will become famous soon enoughjockobo will become famous soon enoughjockobo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
vtec rockers will NOT fit with a NON vtec camshaft.
He did say vtec cam too

jockobo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockobo View Post
He did say vtec cam too
doesnt matter, he cannot run vtec stuff inside a nonvtec head.

you can however, run nonvtec d16y7 guts in a d16y8 head

Build what you have!

Old 10-24-2018, 11:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

I swear someone posted the variable rate rocker ratios decades ago.

Oh wait, that was me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2018, 08:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 jockobo will become famous soon enoughjockobo will become famous soon enoughjockobo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
doesnt matter, he cannot run vtec stuff inside a nonvtec head.

you can however, run nonvtec d16y7 guts in a d16y8 head
If you can put y7 guts in a y8 why can't it go the other way? That's what I have in my car now. The stock vtec cam is way better than a y7 regrind.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
MuthaFuckaUppa

Rep Power: 17 CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
I swear someone posted the variable rate rocker ratios decades ago.

Oh wait, that was me.
Did Honda ever start using the advance iV-TEC?
I remember seeing them teasing it a few years ago.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
If you can put y7 guts in a y8 why can't it go the other way? That's what I have in my car now. The stock vtec cam is way better than a y7 regrind.
Ask yourself, what does the vtec system rely on for function?

What is missing on the back of the d16y7 cylinder head that the d16y8 has?

Build what you have!

Old 10-25-2018, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Ask yourself, what does the vtec system rely on for function?

What is missing on the back of the d16y7 cylinder head that the d16y8 has?
That's why you lock vtec.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
That's why you lock vtec.
Locking function with pins will not solve the vtec valvetrains' additional oil requirements.

Y7 valvetrain in a Y8 head works because it does not need the extra oil, and simply needs the vtec solenoid ports blocked off behind the head.

Build what you have!

Old 10-25-2018, 06:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Locking function with pins will not solve the vtec valvetrains' additional oil requirements.

Y7 valvetrain in a Y8 head works because it does not need the extra oil, and simply needs the vtec solenoid ports blocked off behind the head.
Fair enough. I really won't know till I have to pull the cam for whatever reason. I used the Y7 rocker shafts but had second thoughts about them since the ports aren't centered on the rockers on the intake side. Cheers.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

experimentation and trail/error is the only way we learn.

How else did people back in the day discover all the nifty swap tricks?

Build what you have!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in