Valve Train Torque Specs - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2018, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Valve Train Torque Specs

Hi all - D16A6 head I'm reassembling here. The torque specs for the bolts are 9 lb ft for the 6 mm bolts and 16 lb ft for the 8mm bolts.

I have good torque wrenches, but my 1/2 inch only goes from 30 to 250 lb ft, and my 3/8ths from 10 to 150 lb ft.

How bad is it to overtorque those 6mm bolts to 10 lb ft? Good torque wrenches ain't cheap, and the auto zone or harbor frieght wrenches feel like roulette to me...
kyngfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2018, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyngfish View Post
How bad is it to overtorque those 6mm bolts to 10 lb ft?
1lb ft over 9lb ft is about 10% bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

^^^Yup.

I bought an in/lb torque wrench specifically for my A6 valve train assembly.

I also tend to not have as much confidence in a torque wrench at it’s absolute lowest or highest setting.

With that being said, 1lb over will probably be fine

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 10:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Never used a TQ wrench when swapping cams, nor when tightening down the valve cover, or the 10mm bolts inside the transmission.

1/4 drive socket wrench with extension and 10mm socket, the extension goes between middle finger and ring finger. As if you were holding a T-handle allen wrench.

Which is the same design the use for small torque wrenches

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2018, 12:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
^^^Yup.

I bought an in/lb torque wrench specifically for my A6 valve train assembly.

I also tend to not have as much confidence in a torque wrench at it’s absolute lowest or highest setting.

With that being said, 1lb over will probably be fine
Fair enough. Mine do come with certifications that say they are within a few hundredths of a percent of spec so I’m pretty confident. I looked into some 1/4 inch tq wrenches and their margin of error is a full 4%.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Fair enough. Mine do come with certifications that say they are within a few hundredths of a percent of spec so Im pretty confident. I looked into some 1/4 inch tq wrenches and their margin of error is a full 4%.
That's still less than half as bad as 10%.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFB055 View Post
That's still less than half as bad as 10%.
Right but do I prefer potentially 4% UNDER torqued, or pretty much guaranteed 10% over torqued.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Right but do I prefer potentially 4% UNDER torqued, or pretty much guaranteed 10% over torqued.
4% is 0.36lbft or worst case scenario 8.54 lb ft instead of 9. Splitting hairs really.

Both will work, but who's to say whether it'll make a difference? Or when?

Old 09-05-2018, 06:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFB055 View Post
Both will work, but who's to say whether it'll make a difference? Or when?
Hahah, I get it. It's just that I've spent over 300 bucks in a set of nice torque wrenches and the budget doesn't currently run another fortune. So my options are to buy a cheap torque wrench, which I don't necessarily trust, or just use mine that is very good, but overtorque by 1 ft/lb.

10% sounds high, but 1 lb ft really doesn't seem all that high, it's just my first time torquing the inside of an engine, so I thought I'd ask. Honestly if the overtorque is OK, that's the route I'd like to go, but being a newbie at engine builds, I don't know how critical the exact torque measure is. Seems like the 3-4% variance in most cheaper wrenches is pretty high... but what do I know?
Old 09-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 16 rabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I run my built z6 head at 13 lb/ft on the caps. Never had a problem.
rabid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in