D15b1 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2018, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D15b1

Found a d15b1 for $70.
Before I buy is it a good motor to build...?.... Maybe y8 head J.W if so wanna put into an ej8

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
adrianjarrett30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2018, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Did you even bother to look up that engine?

a headswap would do it a great service for basic power (probably upwards of 20+hp) but youa re still left with a rather gutless setup, especially when thrown into a heavier 6th gen civic.

You are much better off at finding any of the D16 engines.

The d15's dont have a place in a car for performance, other then if you decide to boost it AFTER building it properly.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

I have a y7 already in it, was going to swap the y8 head to that n switch to a obd1 ecu, but I hate the fact that it don't pull past 65k, would be cool if the D's could pull 75-8krpms

Old 08-12-2018, 06:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Y7 block with a Y8 head makes for something like d16y8 version 1.1

Little extra compression goes a long way.

Only a camshaft upgrade or regrind will help it pull longer up top.

You gotta remember, ALL D series motors at heart have efficiency in mind during design.

If you want a long hard puller, might want to swap to a B16, that can be really fun even if its still sorta slow overall. 8k-9k rpm pulling depending on mix and match of OEM b series parts.

OR, you can make your car pretty darn fast swapping in an automatic version of the F20B motor, match it with a good manual trans, and have fun dealing with 2 liters of 11:1 compression pulling to 9k rpm, while making near 200whp once you tune it a bit. The stock F20B mapping is fairly conservative due to its compression, and a cheap ebay header plus tune nets quite a bit of power if you can keep it fed with USDM 93 octane.

It is the setup that may eventually make it into my accord if the beaten to death f22b2 ever dies

Build what you have!

Old 08-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Wanted to do something I haven't seen b 4, everyone has a b-series in there car.. I'm not looking for much h/p like 170/ 180... but mini me

Old 08-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

I also gutted the car except front seats

Old 08-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

an 8 valve cylinder head on a d16 block might prove to be a fairly fuel efficient daily driver, as long as you pair it up with a longer gear set, like the 5th gen DX transmissions or even the vx transmission that usually gets bolted up to a d15z1.

It wont give you any performance benefits, but should prove to be quite easy on the gas.

Going with some head slicing and an adjustable cam gear, you may be able to tweak it a bit further.

I doubt the setup would make over 100hp at the crank, but the 8 valve operation may lead to much higher usable torque under 2500 rpms, given air velocity should shoot through the roof when compared to 16 valve motors at that low rpm.

It most likely will hit a brick wall of power around 4-5k rpms, to the point you may want to do some mild cylinder head porting to ease the air entry a bit so it is not as abrupt

It is a very VERY unusual setup, so it might actually be worth diving in and seeing what happens

Build what you have!

Old 08-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Now I need to find a mini me write-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianjarrett30 View Post
Now I need to find a mini me write-up

D15b1 block non-vtec d16y8 head

Last edited by slo_eg8; 08-12-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

so now you want some performance?

Use d15b7 block in your searching.

You may want to see if you actually have the 2 valve reliefs in your pistons, or if you have 4 valve reliefs, honda did not always specifically use the 2valve relief pistons with 2v heads, but ALWAYS used 4valve relief pistons on the 16v heads.

Build what you have!

Old 08-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

I found a d15b1 the guy is willing to take $50 cash.
No intake or exhaust manifold nor trans

J4M41C4
Old 08-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

J4M41C4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in