D16A6 Rebuild With A Little More HP - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2018, 04:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 ykf7b0 has been punished by the users of d-series.org
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16A6 Rebuild With A Little More HP

First off, Thanks for a great forum and thanks for having me!!!! This will be my very first post and I know this has been asked hundreds of times but here goes; My all stok 89 CRX si D16A6 is due for a rebuild (347k) and I want to get idea's and recommendations on how to squeeze a little more HP out of it without sacrificing drivability, fuel economy, and keeping the D16A6 factory head. This car is my daily driver and my commute is 70 miles round trip 5 days a week and I love getting 40 mpg but I would also love more throttle response at the red lights. Thanks to all!!! Greg
ykf7b0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2018, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

If you want to keep d16a6 head and still have good mpg I would say good CAI and good exhaust + ecu tune
ostry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2018, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

a CAI and exhaust setup wont have a reasonable effect on gas mileage.

Taking the head off and shaving it down a little bit to increase compression will make a better difference.

The biggest difference for fuel mileage will be in making sure all sensors are in correct working order, all ground wiring is in good condition adn free of corrosion, and all the forgotten things such as partially dragging brakes or wheel bearings are inspected.

Blocking off part of the front grill in the bumper will help with aero a little bit.

In my 1997 civic, I was missing the condenser block off panel, and not knowing its effect, found own locally and installed it. Surprisingly enough, it was worth probably a good 2-3mpg on my car (I drive on the interstate quite often)

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Would .010 be the norm for milling the head?
Old 07-31-2018, 10:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

.020" off the head and run a Y8 HG

Roughly 1mm total difference which will retard the cam one degree for slightly more top end power.

You'll want to replace the all the valve guides in the head as well.

Z6 intake would help some.

See if you can get 75.5mm or 76mm pistons and have the block bored and honed to fit them.

My 89 HF with D16A6 stock bottom end, Y8 head, intake, and gasket would get 48 mpg highway at 65 mpg with a close ratio ZC trans and a good driver....I'm a really good driver.

Tires make a 3-4 mpg difference. Prius LRR tires on Miata super light weight rims helped to get that 48 mpg on stock ECU. 4-2-1 Ebay header and 2.25" exhaust with cat...nothing special.

D16a6/Y8, VTEC not hooked up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 04:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Transzex! I'm sure an overbore will be required with the excessive mileage on the block. Any recommendations on a quality set of pistons? Will stock rods with new bolts be ok? Would you stay with the stock cam or go up a step or two? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks again!!!!
Old 08-01-2018, 09:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 23 79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Also check rarely changed items like the fuel strainer, fuel filter, and clean the injectors.
Along with regular maintenance items like plugs wires fresh clean oil and oil filter at all time along with an air filter.

Make sure anything that sucks, blows, or rolls does so freely.
98 Jeep Cherokee 4" Lift Cut Fenders 33x12.50 Daily/Offroad Toy
14 Subaru Forester XT Touring 2.0 Turbo (Wifes Ride)
92 Mustang 2.3 5 Speed 325K on the clock and counting
07 V-Star 650 Classic Space Consumer in the shop

RIP PAT
79hilux90crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2018, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Anyway, for the immediate time being I'm thinking I will just replace the oil pan gasket and install a DC header along with a cold air intake. Other projects have arisen.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

make sure if getting an intake, you get one with a tube size that fits the throttlebody.

Not of that 3inch ebay nonsense that hurts power and fuel mileage

depending on which throttlebody, 2.25 or 2.5" tubing, a simple 45 degree coupler for a bend, and a velocity stack style filter will enable a bit more efficiency.

I have a blox filter and stack kit that uses a 6" cone filter mounted to the 6" to 2.5" velocity stack, that then mounts on a cut piece of exhaust piping with a 45 degree long sleeve coupler (simply means straight bits are roughly 4inches long) that is connected directly to throttlebody.

Its on my automatic civic, and it gave me around 25-40 miles per tank improvement during 90% highway driving. It snorts pretty good, so gas mileage usually suffers when traffic is minimal and weather conditions are good.

Build what you have!

Old 08-05-2018, 05:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips Matt!!!
69 Plymouth road runner
76 Corvette Stingray
97 Dodge Ram 4X4
Old 08-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I rebuilt with PG6B pistons, so half mm overbore and flat top, head was slightly milled, new bearings, new oil pump, arp rod bolts and reconditioned stock rods. metallic headgasket. With the stock cam I had to back ignition timing way off due to pinging, it was better with a crane stage 2 cam, and then even better with the Rocket stage 4. I put isky springs and new oem retainers/clips in the head as well. Skunk2 alpha header, pwm test pipe, edelbrock intake manifold and throttle body. arp head studs as well. h22a4 injectors, and tuned it with hondata s300. my fuel consumption says I could be making a theoretical 170 crank hp. but without dyno tuning to get the correct ignition timing I suspect based on performance it is 150-160 hp. Originally I had the smaller intake tubing for a cold air intake, but after going with the larger throttle body I put a 3 inch which was shorter and had a velocity stack and saw much improvement. I am very happy with my engine, and sometimes when I cant drive the car I think about selling it. then I go for a drive and never want to sell it.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks a lot v4!!! That is some great information for me to adhere to!!!
69 Plymouth road runner
76 Corvette Stingray
97 Dodge Ram 4X4
Old 08-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

It has worked for me and can at least give you ideas how others did it. Pretty much except for a dyno tune I have decided I am done with performance and will focus on not letting rust catch my car now!
Old 08-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

https://www.d-series.org/forums/natu...-transzex.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2018, 04:20 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykf7b0 View Post
First off, Thanks for a great forum and thanks for having me!!!! This will be my very first post and I know this has been asked hundreds of times but here goes; My all stok 89 CRX si D16A6 is due for a rebuild (347k) and I want to get idea's and recommendations on how to squeeze a little more HP out of it without sacrificing drivability, fuel economy, and keeping the D16A6 factory head. This car is my daily driver and my commute is 70 miles round trip 5 days a week and I love getting 40 mpg but I would also love more throttle response at the red lights. Thanks to all!!! Greg
Would a Z6 intake and throttle body be a plug and play affair and would the power gains be worth the effort?
69 Plymouth road runner
76 Corvette Stingray
97 Dodge Ram 4X4
Old 11-25-2018, 04:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

The extra power and response is worth it, you will have to check out what is needed to swap to obd1 intake stuff. Id limit yourself to spending no more than $100 on the setup though, including the IACV

I forget if you need to KEEP your current fuel injectors, as I have forgotten if your d16a6 fuel stuff is saturated or peak-and-hold style.

Im sure there are some guides or DIY info out there, its a lazy weekend for me.

Build what you have!

Old 11-25-2018, 05:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Thanks Matt!
69 Plymouth road runner
76 Corvette Stingray
97 Dodge Ram 4X4

Last edited by ykf7b0; 11-28-2018 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

I did a d16a6 with mild ported head, overbored, 4-2-1 ebay headers and a good ecu tune for fuel economy and a can get almost 40mpg and picked up some HP
Hexxal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2019, 02:43 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykf7b0 View Post
Anyway, for the immediate time being I'm thinking I will just replace the oil pan gasket and install a DC header along with a cold air intake. Other projects have arisen.
The time is now and I have begun the engine removal process. I only get to work on it for a short time after I get home from work and I don't have the luxury of a shop so I won't be quick in getting this job finished. I have never built anything other than old Mopar's and Chevy's so I need recommendations for quality parts (brand names and suppliers) including pistons, bearings, gaskets, and a lightweight flywheel.
69 Plymouth road runner
76 Corvette Stingray
97 Dodge Ram 4X4
Old 08-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

No recommendations so here is what I bought;
CP pistons
ACT lightweight flywheel
ACL bearings
Genuine Honda gaskets throughout along with a Y8 head gasket.
Suppliers are Honda Parts Now, Summit racing, and various e-bay vendors.
69 Plymouth road runner
76 Corvette Stingray
97 Dodge Ram 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in