D16Y7 with P2J-7 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 07:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question D16Y7 with P2J-7

Greetings Everyone,

I am rather new to this. I purchased a 2000 Honda Civic Ex about a year ago. I have had an issue with coolant leaking into a cylinder - told to me by mechanic. I've parked the car for a while, and I am now working on it myself.

After digging into everything, I discovered this car has already had an engine and head swap performed. This car is supposed to have the D16Y8.

So Engine block is D16Y7, and the head is a P2J-7. From what I have read, this combination should work.

I am in the process of removing the head, and was going to take it to a machine shop to get rebuilt/resurfaced.

In regards to the current configuration, is there anything I should check to make sure the swap was done correctly?
gosvalthar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2018, 07:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Just wanted to add quickly - I'm not a noob working with engines. I spent a year in auto tech back in high school - 15 years ago. I am comfortable working on the engine, just not haven't done work this deep in a long time.
gosvalthar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2018, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

a d16y7 block with a d16y8 head means you have nearly an extra point of compression.

Basically, the car is now faster and gets a touch better fuel mileage, while running comfy on the d16y8 ecu.

The only thing to verify is that the oil jet was removed from the d16y7 block, middle back on deck. can find images online if not comfortable just diving in.

vtec would not function if it was missed.

Treat the car as a typical head gasket failure. The valve guides are notorias for being garbage beyond 100k miles. Ask the amchine shop to replace all of them at the same time with a set of aftermarket guides. Then have the shop recut the valve seats, as the guides will not be EXACTLY in the same place, and new seats means the valve has the best possible chance of sealing properly for good compression

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

So much great information on here!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dmeeks82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in