Burning oil. HELP - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction » Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Burning oil. HELP

I have a 90 civic with a sohc zc in it. The head that was in it had a shredded valve but it ran like a champ, I would take it in the canyons and take it to red line all night. It was obviously down on power, so I swapped the head with one I had decked cleaned and all the good stuff. I put the head on and it ran like a champ! Sounded much healthier and I took it in the canyons and the throttle response was 10 times better. But I look behind me and I see a cloud of smoke following me. I thought i must have messed up the head gasket. But I check the oil and coolant, and the oil has gone down significantly but the coolant hasnt????
I read that it. Could be the valve seals and the way to test that would be to go down a hill and engine brake, at the bottom burp the throttle and if a cloud of smoke comes out, it's the guides. And I did it and got the cloud of smoke.
Just to make sure it's the head and not the block I did a compression test, and all 4 cylinders had 180 psi. I called the machinist who did the head work and asked him what he thought. He said he definitely changed the seals and he checks guides when he works on heads. He said a compression test wouldn't tell me if the oil rings are bad. But it wasn't burning oil before I had the head swapped?
I'm really lost and this is my daily driver. If anybody knows anything I'd love to hear what you think. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180518_195054_1528225860734.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	525.1 KB
ID:	124781
WiiFace100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

Rep Power: 32 remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 54 reviews
Send a message via AIM to remoer Send a message via MSN to remoer Send a message via Yahoo to remoer

its not hard to change the valve seal. i do mine in 20 minutes, then again ive done several times but again its not hard.

The suspension should always be faster than the engine - BMW

The term stage was created to make mentally slow ppl feel physically fast.

my DOHC ZC - 133.73whp and 108.48wtq (tuned on a Dynojet)
remoer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2018, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoer View Post
its not hard to change the valve seal. i do mine in 20 minutes, then again ive done several times but again its not hard.
What tool do you use? i've been looking for a valve spring compressor that i can use for the DOHC ZC so i don't have to remove the head for redoing valve stem seals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

use a magnetic valve retainer tool, and find a way to keep the valves up. nylon rope, air compressor adapter, or something.

then simply use the mag tool and a hammer, pop the valve retainers off, pull the spring caps and springs out, use a curve jawed vicegrips, carefully and lightly bite into the valve stem seal, and see-saw rotate it up and out. oil the new stem seals, and pop them into place.

If they are a proper set of seals, they will have a different color seal OR different color spring.

some brands foolishly use the same seal for both intake and exhaust, but they actually are different part numbers and ever so slightly different.

Ask your machinist what brand of parts he put into your cylinder head. Better yet, ask for part numbers. That way you have some info to research and see if he unfortunately used a set of seals that matched all 16, versus the factory style of exhaust being one part number and intake being the other.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
I want to find the problem before trying to fix it. I'm really trying to avoid spending more time and money.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Cylinder leakage test would spot any differences in leakage percentage between cylinders and would also allow you to hear any air hissing from the guides with the valve cover off.

Maybe you know someone with a leakage tester or can rent one locally?

I know the auto parts stores here only loan compression testers but maybe it’s different where you’re at

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 06-06-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2018, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

Rep Power: 32 remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 54 reviews
Send a message via AIM to remoer Send a message via MSN to remoer Send a message via Yahoo to remoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFB055 View Post
What tool do you use? i've been looking for a valve spring compressor that i can use for the DOHC ZC so i don't have to remove the head for redoing valve stem seals.
its less of a headache when its off.
tools i have to make it simple.

Tool, Overhead Valve(to remove and install keepers)
Pliers, Valve Stem Seal or a long tip needle nose pliers
Valve Holder(valve lapper)
valve lapper compound

and for later to lash valves

Tool, Metric, Valve Adjustment (for cars with 10 mm jam nut valve screws)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiiFace100 View Post
I want to find the problem before trying to fix it. I'm really trying to avoid spending more time and money.
ok then...

The suspension should always be faster than the engine - BMW

The term stage was created to make mentally slow ppl feel physically fast.

my DOHC ZC - 133.73whp and 108.48wtq (tuned on a Dynojet)
remoer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2018, 06:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

If you are careful, it wont cost you anything to pop the valvecover off and take a peak, and see what the stem seals look like. Might only be able to clearly see exhaust side, but you should be able to see if they are new, or if machine shop simply overlooked it.

Remember, machine shops are crazy busy all the time with them disappearing left and right across the country

Build what you have!

Old 06-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Default remoer

Quote:
Wouldn't the valve seal burn oil on start up, and not as much while driving? I heard that the seals allow oil to build up in the cylinder and after a prolonged start up it would burn the oil away.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

If it’s the guides then it would certainly burn oil in small quantities all the time but it probably wouldn’t be evident enough to see smoke during idle.

If I understand correctly, the long engine brake followed by the throttle blip allows the engine to decelerate under the highest vacuum condition with no combustion (due to the fuel cut), which draws in oil through the guides and burns it when you blip the throttle (combustion), causing the visible smoke.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2018, 06:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
If it’s the guides then it would certainly burn oil in small quantities all the time but it probably wouldn’t be evident enough to see smoke during idle.

If I understand correctly, the long engine brake followed by the throttle blip allows the engine to decelerate under the highest vacuum condition with no combustion (due to the fuel cut), which draws in oil through the guides and burns it when you blip the throttle (combustion), causing the visible smoke.
Wow, this is one of the most useful posts I've ever read on this site.

I'm having an extremely similar oil burninig problem (burns when the car starts, a little smoke when given throttle, but then no other issues while driving) and it seems like its probably exactly what you're describing.

Thank you so much!
cybersec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Cylinder leakage test would spot any differences in leakage percentage between cylinders and would also allow you to hear any air hissing from the guides with the valve cover off.
Wouldn't the pressure leak past the valves into the intake or exhaust manifold before it passes the guides?

Quote:
There is no smoke at idle, only on medium to hard acceleration
Old 06-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

its an oil pressure thing mostly

at idle, especially warm idle, you are under 15-20 psi.

at over 3k rpm, you are double that at a minimum, more if everything is healthy.

high geared engine brake means the oil pump is still turning pretty good, but the engine has a higher vacuum with the throttle plate closed, creating a wicking effect of drain oil from cylinder head past the worn valve guides.

My civic smells a bit of burnt oil under hard acceleration, and coasting down a long steep hill in drive (im auto) results in a throttle burp showing its presence.

Build what you have!

Old 06-13-2018, 02:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

good stuff guys
razkal1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in